i30 Owners Club

LOW BEAM (H7) SOCKET ADAPTATION FOR LED

Offline JonathanLT

• 1st Gear
Hi folks,

I have a socket problem.. according to the picture you may notice that my I30 is not equipped with a standard socket for the low beam bulb.
Despite using the H7 bulb (Osram Night breaker unlimited), i was wondering how hard would it be to fit those new generation of super Leds.

The main question is.. which type of bulb should i use to fit it/lock it directly to the headlight , since the Led has a cooler below and it wont fit the original h7 socket...

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:23:30 by JonathanLT »
  • Hyundai i30 2014 1.8 petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You can buy LED's with braided wire which is flexible and fanned out behind the light fitting but under the dust cover. I have no  idea how they perform but it could answer your question. Like these

:link: 2X 60W 8000LM H7 Philips Luxeon Zes vehicle Car LED Head Light Bulb Headlamp Kit | eBay
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Unfortunately it's not possible to fit those LED's into the low beam sockets, there is physically no way of attaching a socket adaptor to secure it in place.

For my low beam HID's I required a socket adaptor like this :link: NEW 2X H7 HID Xenon Bulbs Adapters Holders FOR Hyundai Coupe Veloster K5 | eBay but as you can see it isn't possible to fit to an LED because of the fan/ballast.

Offline JonathanLT

• 1st Gear
Thank you very much. I'll try to find those then.

See, the thing is that i live in Brazil and down here i can't upgrade a headlight from Halogen to HID without getting a ticket (when pulled over by cops)
Yet, there are no regulations against LED, reason why i was trying to purchase those.

Does anyone tried those Led on the halogen projector? Would you be kind enough to send me some pictures to check it out?
I really don't believe that it could be as good as HID, plus on youtube there are a lot of fake videos (guys stating "LED" when using HID in order to sell)

Thanks folks!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 11:37:59 by JonathanLT »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ah Jonathan, I see your dilemma! Not that I can help on this occasion.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
JonathanLT, as I mentioned earlier those LED's wont fit and I haven't yet found any LED's that will fit the GD i30 low beam projector due to there being no way to attach an adaptor to the LED's.

There is no problem fitting them the high beam side as it secures with the spring clip though you would still be unlikely to replace the dust cap.

Also note that the 8000lm - 4000lm per bulb LED's Phil had linked are way to bright for low beam usage, more than 2.5 x the brightness of your high beams, as an example my HID's are 3000lm - 1500lm per bulb.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 14:19:53 by CraigB »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I was just demonstrating the heat sink as an example, not the led's themselves. :exclaim:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I was just demonstrating the heat sink as an example, not the led's themselves. :exclaim:
No problem Phil :goodjob2: the heat sink/ballast/fan are not the problem though, it's being able to secure the bulbs in place which isn't possible at this stage (that I know of) without making irreparable changes to the fitting.

Offline JonathanLT

• 1st Gear
Yeah..  :undecided: i think we'll have to wait to fit those leds..
thanks for your guidance.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No problem Phil :goodjob2: the heat sink/ballast/fan are not the problem though, it's being able to secure the bulbs in place which isn't possible at this stage (that I know of) without making irreparable changes to the fitting.

Thanks, I'm interested in going down this path eventually myself.  :exclaim:

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
sorry to bring up an old post again but did you ever manage to get some LED headlights fitted JonathanLT?

I went ahead an bought some LED headlight bulbs without releasing they dont fit in the GD without an adapter, the ones I bought was these

Fortunately u can slide the ring off these and hopefully I can fit an adapter around then slide it back on.

I was thinking of modifying one of those adapters that CraigB posted by cutting the excess extrusion bit off but then I looked around the web more and found these that may fit the bill without modifying :link: H7 Car Headlight For Hyundai Phase One Coolpad New SantaFe Sonata for KIA K3 K4 K5 H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Adapter Base Holder on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10000009_10084_10000025_10083_10000029_10080_10082_10081_10000028_10110_10111_10112_10060_10113_10062_10114_10115_10056_10055_10054_10059_10099_10078_10079_10000022_10000012_10103_10073_10102_10000015_10096_10000018_10000019_10052_10053_10107_10050_10106_10051,searchweb201603_10,afswitch_5_afChannel,single_sort_3_default&btsid=abc56667-5d80-471b-b114-65ba2991b8f6

so going to order these and see.

The only problem would be that the left side light holder is very close to the air filter box so might be a tight squeeze to fit these bulbs with a heatsink on, and also the dust caps will also have to be permanently taken off, even if you did get the braided one cus theres very little space between the bulb and and dustcap.

Would look forward to hear if you or anyone else has managed to do this  conversion and how they did it
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Those adaptors look like they'll do the job, luckily the LED's separate from the base :goodjob2:

Isn't it the fuse box that is close to your left low beam (not the airbox) :undecided: it is on mine anyway.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My airbox is halfway to the firewall. So I ask: are LEDs now capable enough of doing a good job of replacing main beams?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 07:36:15 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Led lightbars appear effective and given that the leds in headlights have large focussed reflecticve collectors, I think they probably are.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
So my next question is whether the price point has been reached where it's worth the upgrade from perfectly good standard globes to the more economical LED replacement. :workitout:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I would say that if you purchased a reputable brand that actually achieves the rated hours then it would be a good idea, subject to local laws and insurance clearances.

But i'm not changing yet  :exclaim:

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Those adaptors look like they'll do the job, luckily the LED's separate from the base :goodjob2:

Isn't it the fuse box that is close to your left low beam (not the airbox) :undecided: it is on mine anyway.

yeh..fuse box I meant..couldnt remember which one it was  :P

I would say that if you purchased a reputable brand that actually achieves the rated hours then it would be a good idea, subject to local laws and insurance clearances.

But i'm not changing yet  :exclaim:

the main reason I want LED's is more for aesthetics reasons tbh....so rated hours doesn't really bother me....Ive not had a bulb of any type blown on me before, but saying that Ive never had a car longer then 6yrs either so wouldnt have gone near any rated hours stated. :lol:

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
I managed to finally fit my LED's to my car using the adaptors I posted before but I had to skim about 2mm off because it was too thick for the original ring to slide back on.  I also glued the original rings from the LED's to these adaptors to stop them moving around too.  Took a long time for me to get the adaptors because the original order, the seller cancelled it for unknown reason so I had to re order from another seller and wait another month for them.

top pic. left has LED vs right has Halogen (Philips Xtreme Vision PLUS 130%)
LED looks like its glaring but thats just my phone camera picking it up.
bottom left is LED in both, bottom right is Halogen in both

Unit road with LED's

The 'throw' on these are about the same as halogens so will never be like HID's.  Overall, very happy with these, just gotta wait and see if anyone beeps or flashes back at me

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks great! I would do my Calais if they were easy to get at, but seem harder than the i30!  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hi12342

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
looks great
do u guys think buying these two will make it work for i30 GD active?
I'm bit worried about the base not being able to separate from the LED , cos if they don't separate, the LED won't fit the adapter.

:link: H7 180W PHILIPS 18000LM LED Headlight Bulb Kits Driving Globes Copper Braid 160W | eBay
:link: TC X 2PCS For Kia Rio 2017 K3 2013~2016 New Carens S8 SONATA Hyundai MISTRA H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Holder Adapter base -in Base from Automobiles &

or this (6000LM) since the above was a whopping 18000LM :link: 2x60W 6400LM/Set 6000K 9003 Braid Car LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit White SP | eBay

thanks
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:44:28 by Hi12342 »
  • I30. Gd

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I've tried quite a few LED bulbs in both my i30s, with zero success. The projector (as opposed to reflector) build rendered them useless.

Those adaptors you listed state that they cannot be used with braided LED systems.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
donno about the braided ones, but I've got the ones with just a solid heatsink on and no fan (as the picture a few comments above)

the only problem I had with these adaptors :link: For Kia K4 K5 Sorento Hyundai Veloster Coupe Sonata 9 Grand SantaFe 2 Pieces H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Adapter Base Holder-in Base from Automobiles & was they were about 2 -3mm too thick so I had to shave a bit off to fit them on. 

Im guessing the braided LED ones u cant take the ring off them or they probably get too hot for these adaptors and probably melt.

Offline Hi12342

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
sorry i don't understand how these will fit onto the headlight? these have 3 spokes on the adaptor :link: For Kia K4 K5 Sorento Hyundai Veloster Coupe Sonata 9 Grand SantaFe 2 Pieces H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Adapter Base Holder-in Base from Automobiles &

for some reason my headlight is only designed for a adapter with 2 spokes like this.
:link: TC X 2PCS For Kia Rio 2017 K3 2013~2016 New Carens S8 SONATA Hyundai MISTRA H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Holder Adapter base -in Base from Automobiles &

and yes the seller of  :link: TC X 2PCS For Kia Rio 2017 K3 2013~2016 New Carens S8 SONATA Hyundai MISTRA H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Holder Adapter base -in Base from Automobiles & said it won't work with braided LEDs but i think he doesn't know.

i asked the seller of this :link: 2x60W 6400LM/Set 6000K 9003 Braid Car LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit White SP | eBay
and he said it will fit the adaptors.

copy of msg:
hi,
is the led or the h7 mount part separable from the base so i can mount this adapter on the LED?

:link: H7 LED HEADLIGHT Bulb holder adaptor SOCKET FOR Kia Rio K5 Azera Forta Koup RIO5 | eBay

thank you very much

New message from: 755shipping  Top Rated Seller(37,539TurquoiseShooting Star)
Yes ,dear.
  • I30. Gd

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
Im guessing your headlight housing is different to the ones in Europe as mine has 3 spokes like this

on my led's with a solid heatsink, the ring is exactly like that and it twists and pulls off, so u can put the adaptor then put the ring back on.... Im not certain about these braided ones but they do look the same rings though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 14:36:54 by potnodleman »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal