i30 Owners Club

Gaymer's Japanese Import 2009 FD

Offline GaymerNZ

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Waikato
So I finally got round to taking some pics.
While made on Korea, my i30 was made for the Japanese Market.
So a few things are a little different.
* I don't have a multifunction trip computer, its just a standard trip meter and odometer.
* The Headlights don't have the 'get inside safe feature', if you leave them on they turn off when you open the door and turn on again when you start the car.
* The standard Hyundai stereo that everyone is used to is a Japanese GPS touch screen, how ever I had this removed and replaced with a NZ New Multifunction touch screen the same size.
*No USB / AUX ports by the Handbrake

When I went to the yard to purchase a car I was looking at the Blue, how ever I then spotted a black one, which is rare here in NZ, they are mainly White, Silver or Red.
I took it for a drive and instantly said I'll have it and gave him the list of modifications I wanted made, such as Mags, Tints, Stereo Change.
He got as far as putting the mags on when someone saw it and he sold it to them for $3k more than I paid, then rang me and said Mine would be a few days more, and swapped mine for the other Black one he had in stock, which had less k's.

So from when I looked at it and signed on the dotted line

To Now with my Modifications Made
35% tint all round and 17's on the feet
(Real bad photos because the big car was in the way and it started to rain)

• 2009 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt, Auto, Black. Japanese Import.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
weird spec, looks like an slx inside......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Looks good but I wouldn't have been that happy with him selling the car when it was already bought by you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nice find.  The black looks good with the tint and those rims.  BTW, were you walking around on the gravel without your jandals on?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice find.  The black looks good with the tint and those rims.

Looks good but I wouldn't have been that happy with him selling the car when it was already bought by you.

:wts:

Congrats. Not a lot of 1.6 petrol models sold in Australia. They bought it in as a price leader in basic spec. Nothing wrong with them though. The 1.6 is a solid little motor and more economical than the 2.0 petrol.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GaymerNZ

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Waikato
the gravel is that compacted it's the same as walking on concrete,it's on my to do list to get the driveway redone at some stage

Offline GaymerNZ

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Waikato
we only have the 2ltr as the elite model as NZ New here, all the imports are the 1.6L. A lot of 1.6L NZ New Base Models were sold as fleet cars to the Government departments. Surprisingly most NZ New i30's are the diesel elite model.
We had just returned a 2009 FD 1.6 in Silver to the dealer through work when I purchased mine.
Even with my Staff discount offer with have with Hyundai it was going to be over $14k and it had double the mileage of the import and had probably had a very hard life being a pool car.

Offline GaymerNZ

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Waikato
yeah i wasn't very impressed with it either, as these weren't the original mags I had chosen. Getting the message off my voicemail I was not impressed, but it did mean a car with less k's, These mags were the closest they could get to the ones I chose and cost him double the price and instead of just a standard CD player that I asked ($180) for I got the multifunction touch system ($650).
So the extras did make up for it a little bit.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Gosh they even import i30 to NZ! So many funny looking Asian cars in NZ

Interesting spec

I think the 1.6 petrol is a less expensive car to service since it doesnt have a timing belt like the 2.0
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Gosh they even import i30 to NZ! So many funny looking Asian cars in NZ

Interesting spec

I think the 1.6 petrol is a less expensive car to service since it doesnt have a timing belt like the 2.0

Re importing - Yup, as I alluded to in this post.   So in the used (and the term 'NZ New' means used import which has had no registered owners in NZ) market - options and extras can be more wide ranging; but also exactly which ones a particular car may have is determined by it's market of origin and what model levels they had (assuming the importer/dealer, etc. has done anything).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline GaymerNZ

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Waikato
Re importing - Yup, as I alluded to in this post.   So in the used (and the term 'NZ New' means used import which has had no registered owners in NZ) market - options and extras can be more wide ranging; but also exactly which ones a particular car may have is determined by it's market of origin and what model levels they had (assuming the importer/dealer, etc. has done anything).

The terms you are referring to aren't quite right
'NZ New' means the car was first sold brand new in New Zealand (in the case of Hyundai, built in Hyundais Korean Factory to the NZ Specification and brought in by Hyundai NZ and sold with no use) it also refers to cars that were built in New Zealand, before all our plants were shut down and moved overseas.

'Imported' refers to any car that was previously owned and used overseas then brought over to New Zealand and registered for use.

So I have a little Mazda 323 (Familia for those who know it by the Japanese name) built at the Mazda factory just before it shut down, it's classified as New Zealand new.

The Chev Impala is also classified as NZ New because in 1968 it was built by the coach builders down in Wellington (even though the panels etc were all shipped over from the US)

Where as my Hyundai and my little Daihatsu truck were built overseas, used overseas and registered overseas before they came to New Zealand and were registered and used here, they become Imports

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

The terms you are referring to aren't quite right
'NZ New' means the car was first sold brand new in New Zealand (in the case of Hyundai, built in Hyundais Korean Factory to the NZ Specification and brought in by Hyundai NZ and sold with no use) it also refers to cars that were built in New Zealand, before all our plants were shut down and moved overseas.

'Imported' refers to any car that was previously owned and used overseas then brought over to New Zealand and registered for use.

So I have a little Mazda 323 (Familia for those who know it by the Japanese name) built at the Mazda factory just before it shut down, it's classified as New Zealand new.

The Chev Impala is also classified as NZ New because in 1968 it was built by the coach builders down in Wellington (even though the panels etc were all shipped over from the US)

Where as my Hyundai and my little Daihatsu truck were built overseas, used overseas and registered overseas before they came to New Zealand and were registered and used here, they become Imports

Note: Forgot I had commented on this.

GaymerNZ - I grew up in New Zealand, owned my first car in NZ, etc..   But please note I am not going to say you are wrong - see the end...  :)

My first car, a few years back (~15), was an import and was advertised as 'NZ New' by the dealer (obviously an import and not 'New' when it has thousands of Ks - 10K IIRC - but NZ New), as opposed to 'New' i.e. brand-spanking new, the dealer is quite large and still going strong, well regarded and my family still gets some vehicles from them.

My first car was, of course, a few years back (~15) - so I don't know what terms they use currently.  Nor do I know, if there were then and/or are now, voluntary industry stds. or statutory requirements, in regards to these terms.

Things, however, seem to be per your statement (google search), though I note a number of dealers (such as in their About Us pages) use the term 'NZ New' then immediately explain in full what the term means - indicating it wasn't and/or isn't strictly used per that definition and/or causes confusion.   So I can only chalk it up to the wrong signage being used at the time, or it had a looser definition.

So I will agree with you, in the current context, the terms I used don't seem to be quite right - Thanks for pointing this out.

:ta:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your post may have fallen on deaf ears Gareth.

GaymerNZ doesn't appear to have been on the site for over 3 months!

Although he may have notifications set to follow this thread! :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Your post may have fallen on deaf ears Gareth.

GaymerNZ doesn't appear to have been on the site for over 3 months!

Although he may have notifications set to follow this thread! :fingers:

Yup - noticed that Dazz.   Yup could do, also just because they haven't logged in doesn't mean they are not reading... just might have nothing to say... unlike the usual suspects  :lol:

Thought I would, at least for future readers, acknowledge the difference while explaining where my definition came from.  And keep it in mind for the future.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal