i30 Owners Club

Service dissatisfaction

John B · 22 · 6291

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 My Daughter had her i30 GD with 16000km on the clock in for a 30.000km service this morning at a Hyundai dealer. After telling them not to bother about the washer additive, seeing I had topped the reservoir up to the brim this morning. She noticed on her bill a $2 charge for top up. It is not the $2 that is the concern it is the blatant way they do it each time,After talking to the service manager I can honestly say he sounded disinterested, in fact he asked me what I wanted him to do about it. To be honest  they have lost my trust. She also had her wiper blades changed, fair enough after two years, but they wanted her to change them on her 12000 km service as well when her car only had 7000 km on the clock . The Pollen filter was also changed at a cost of $ 78 . I looked at a bill for a 12000km service I had done on my i30 some time ago and noticed a charge for environmental waste levy for $31.28, does this sound right ? Any way I spoke to the manager of the RACQ approved  garage ( that is also more convenient )  I have always taken my previous cars to . He has assured me he can beat the Hyundai capped price . He mentioned that although Hyundai use their genuine parts you can use other parts as long as they reach the correct specs, for instance if you use an oil filter and reaches the correct specs and the engine blows up they have to prove it was that part that failed, having said that I will feel happier using Hyundai genuine parts just in case. I have used my previous garage for years and have full trust in them.  I would like to know if I use a non Hyundai dealer is the road side assist still active after each service ?

Thanks John B.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's a while since I read the details but I'm sure the roadside assist is dependent on using their services.
Which sounds fair enough.
You can use Ryco filters with absolutely no worries.
My daughter rejoined RACQ for about $80 pa when she3 moved to alternative service arrangements.  Then she went to Coles car insurance and they do roadside assist.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Re road assist...... check out t&c's as it will state requirements.

Here in uk, i've not check today, but i think it say simething along the lines that it has been serviced per manufacturers schedule
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks guys, I am sure you are right and that you have to have your vehicle serviced by a Hyundai dealer. No big deal I have been a member of the RACQ  for many years and having been on Hyundai road assist in conjunction with the RACQ I have not lost my many years membership time, just need to pay the annual fee. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
not good John, I had mine service today, like your daughters 30000km service only done 14000km.
They don't call them dealerships for nothing.
I started a thread yesterday about the con of the Pollen filter, in a nutshell if you look in your daughters hand book the replacement is included in the required service at 30000km, and should be included in the cap price service.
From my research it appears dealers will only replace it if they can slug you for it, if they know you are aware that it should be replaced within the cap price service  they will only inspected it and of course it won't need replacing, they should be supply it ( just like the oil filter),

I had a look at mine and as expected it was dirty, could had just used a air compressor or water spray and dry it and then a spray of glen 20 like the way you clean all air con filters.

However I lash out and purchased a new one from Bursons for $25 and honestly once you have replace one it would only take 30secs.  and that's allowing about 20s to clear out the junk from the glove box.

When I went to pick up my car today they told me the price of the service which was more than I expected
I ask them to check that they took the price of the oil off (as I supply my own), " oh yes Sir see here"
yeah but you took it of $249, not $219 which is mine cap price service. " oh oh dear my mistake" yeah you try that mistake last year as well.

John you really have to watch these dealers, its my opinion that the margins must be so small that for them to make profits they have to sting most of there customers as I would say your daughter experience today.

I would suggest the wipers would have been fine at only 15000kms.
May I suggest for future services your daughter is very clear with them that she is only getting the cap price service and they phone her for any additional work.

• i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :whsaid: Rip offs make me cranky!  :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks joebris, had enough of the dealers antics, My Daughter and I are going to take  our cars (both i30 GD ) to my previous garage whom we trust. I will only take my car if necessary to a Hyundai dealer for warranty if required. Which reminds me my button that locks the auto lever keeps popping up and exposing the spring , must get that fixed even though I have never used it.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Know how you feel Dazz hence my little rant. The Hyundai dealer has now lost  two  i30 cars for  servicing, not that they seem to care. It is a shame we love our cars just disappointed with the service side. Even when booking the car in and trying to explain a couple of things the service guy said " right ,moving  right along " while I was still talking and continued to fill in the paper work ( rude ) :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
My Daughter and I are going to take  our cars (both i30 GD ) to my previous garage whom we trust.

yeah fair enough, but I just think the dealers offer good value, $219 - which includes $ 80 for RACQ  including a loan car for the day. not bad value, you just have to be clear your not falling for their add ons, which I think the industry refer to them as, maybe cruiserfield could confirm.
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You should name & shame (oops, you already 'shamed' ;)) then we can move your thread to the dealership feedback section - there have been quite a few guest hits on that section recently.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Know how you feel Dazz hence my little rant. The Hyundai dealer has now lost  two  i30 cars for  servicing, not that they seem to care. It is a shame we love our cars just disappointed with the service side. Even when booking the car in and trying to explain a couple of things the service guy said " right ,moving  right along " while I was still talking and continued to fill in the paper work ( rude ) :disapp:

My Holden has free servicing for the first 4 services at the same place as Trish's tourer has her annual fixed price service. Although they do try to get add ons (which I refuse) they do try hard to please amd are very attentive when you drop the car off. I would report your dealer to Hyundai they expect quite high standards from their dealers in Australia now (you might score a voucher or something) :cool:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
My Daughter and I are going to take  our cars (both i30 GD ) to my previous garage whom we trust.

yeah fair enough, but I just think the dealers offer good value, $219 - which includes $ 80 for RACQ  including a loan car for the day. not bad value, you just have to be clear your not falling for their add ons, which I think the industry refer to them as, maybe cruiserfield could confirm.

Thanks joebris ,I will make sure I get a quote from my previous garage, but I am sure he will quote less , I would rather bypass the $80  and go somewhere that does not try to rip me off, Lets face it they should not try in the first place. :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
After telling them not to bother about the washer additive, seeing I had topped the reservoir up to the brim this morning. She noticed on her bill a $2 charge for top up. It is not the $2 that is the concern it is the blatant way they do it each time<

I've had that sort of thing happen too, John..And like you, I'd just topped the washer bottle up.
At each service I now tell them I don't want it added and they've never charged me for it since.

That environmental waste levy of $31.28 is bullsh*t, John...seems they are pretty much double dipping with your oil...  :eek:
To put yours into perspective, I was charged $7.50 at my last service...and I grumble about that.

I was also slugged $7.50 for workshop supplies...all I can say is they must use top quality rags and hand cleaner...lol.

Long time forum members will already know what I think about dealers/mechanics that replace windscreen wipers when they aren't required...thieving mongrels!  :mad:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :disapp: Hey my sympathy to you folks being gouged by the Hyundai dealers.

Use your own trusted mechanic. He knows you and cares about treating you right. Apart from being a nice bloke, his business depends on you.

Regarding roadside assist; train the whole family how to deal with a flat tyre and/or use RACQ as a backup. The chances of a breakdown are remote.

Mandatory!  :twisted: All club members should be forced to read my post about the Hyundai dealer who quoted $16,000 to clean a tank full of bad fuel.  After that, we could start a psychotherapy thread for any member who still trusts a dealership. :twisted:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
This issue with dealerships is so common place that i have trust issues that they even use the oil you supply! I haven't used a dealership in over a decade but with more and more modern cars, does anybody have any issuea with diagnostic and software updates on their cars?
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Never had an issue yet, but I agree. If it's working, leave it alone, IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Same here, I've walked away from the dealer after the second (first paid) service when they didn't even have the decency to reflect the dealer price with a proper wash and vacuum. I've never had a reason to seek their so-called expertise or privileged position and have been more than happy with the local garage and their ethical attention to detail.

Having said that, getting Firty out of Storage King in Adelaide in December may involve a bit of reconditioning.  :sweating:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes, that will be an interesting exercise. :eek:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, that will be an interesting exercise. :eek:
I'm working on it... :eek:
"ns"
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:faint:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If your worried about genuine filters, just buy some off ebay. I got the diesel, oil and air filter for the i40 for $112 (which is not my cheapest effort).

I30 filters are more common and cheaper. My previous i30 went to the new owner with 136,200 and 5 years on it, still the original cabin filter.

I too thought the cabin filter was included in the set price servicing, though don't have time to check. I would have thought the environmental levy was too (there were plenty of cars being picked up when I was waiting for my warranty work, and they were all being charged the fixed price, if it didn't include the environmental levy, they wouldn't be charging the fixed price now would they?)

When I go in to pick a car up and there are unexpected expenses I always ask, who called me to obtain approval for this expense? You only gave them approval to do the service, ANY additional expenses need approval from you.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here are oil filters for under $10

:link: Hyundai I30 GD 2012 Onwards 1 8 Petrol Genuine Engine OIL Filter X 3ea | eBay

Cabin Filters

:link: Genuine Hyundai I30 GD GD2 Hatchback Crdi 1 6 L Diesel ALL Model AIR Filter | eBay

Air filter

:link: Genuine Hyundai I30 FD GD GD2 2007 2015 AIR Filter With TAX Invoice | eBay

total $62.85

As an aside, I checked the 30,000 service. It states that a check of the cabin filter is all that is required. Looking at the list the 30,000 should be a basic oil change....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:56:04 by beerman »
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal