Exhaust smell

BC · 16 · 5972

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Hi,
On a 2010 Diesel (70k), there has intermittently been a bit of smoke on cold starts.  The dealer found a dirty EGR which they cleaned. 
This had no effect whatsoever.
Now, over the last 5K since the clean and in addition to the smokey starts (which are getting a little worse), there is a strong exhaust smell around the car when idling.  To put it in perspective, you probably couldn't sit with the car idling and the window open.  There may also be a bit of smoke out the exhaust on the overrun when changing gears, but I'm still checking this because it is mainly visible at night in the lights of following vehicles.

Any thoughts anyone - need a new EGR or could the valve have been damaged by the clean?

Thanks . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There is usually a bit of smoke if you give it a bit, that is the unburnt diesel, this is natures way of telling you that you are wasting money  :D

I notice a smell when my wife starts hers and I am standing outside. Can't say I ever have the windows down to check.

What diesel are you using?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
What colour is the smoke, black or light grey  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Maybe it's a couple of dodgy glow plugs. Think they are only about $100 for a set of 4 on ebay (which is not too bad)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
There is usually a bit of smoke if you give it a bit, that is the unburnt diesel, this is natures way of telling you that you are wasting money  :D

I notice a smell when my wife starts hers and I am standing outside. Can't say I ever have the windows down to check.

What diesel are you using?
Caltex Vortex I think . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
What colour is the smoke, black or light grey  :question:

Light grey.  I'm still not sure whether there is any more than the normal amount of smoke under acceleration  - will need to drive it a bit more at night.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Light grey is unburnt fuel. At startup the glow plugs are supposed to heat the combustion chambers to allow fuel ignition. You need to wait for the glowplug light to extinguish before cranking the engine. If you are already familiar with this, then 1 or more glow plugs are not heating up. You will need to rectify this.

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Maybe it's a couple of dodgy glow plugs. Think they are only about $100 for a set of 4 on ebay (which is not too bad)  :undecided:

When the EGR valve was cleaned, glow plugs were considered but the intermittent nature of the start-up smoke tends to indicate something else. Glow plugs would smoke on every start.

The thing that puzzles me at the moment is the exhaust smell - it just hangs all around the car when it's idling.  I must pop the bonnet to make sure the smell isn't coming from there.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
All dependent on the ambient temperature :exclaim:

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
All dependent on the ambient temperature :exclaim:

When it's cold and first start for the day it will often smoke for a short while but not all the time.
Sometimes it will be cold and start cleanly with no smoke. :confused:
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Does the engine pull smoothly when accelerating with full throttle? White smoke and the smell of fuel makes me think of the o-rings of the injectors...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline panthersteve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich, Qld

When the EGR valve was cleaned, glow plugs were considered but the intermittent nature of the start-up smoke tends to indicate something else. Glow plugs would smoke on every start.

Mine was blowing white smoke on cold startup on an intermittent basis too. Turns out it was a couple of glow plugs that measured ok when hot but on the borderline when cold so all 4 were replaced by the dealer.

Cheers
Steve
  • 2010 SLX I30 Diesel Hatchback in Black

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia

Mine was blowing white smoke on cold startup on an intermittent basis too. Turns out it was a couple of glow plugs that measured ok when hot but on the borderline when cold so all 4 were replaced by the dealer.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, interesting. Thanks.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Does the engine pull smoothly when accelerating with full throttle? White smoke and the smell of fuel makes me think of the o-rings of the injectors...

Nothing wrong with performance . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I think the smell is normal , i have 2010 CRDI and i can't have my windows down when starting from cold as it is a very strong diesel smell that makes me feel sick and yet there is nothing wrong with the car. I just put it down to it being very rich as it's cold and the smell is less when warm but still there. It's the first diesel i have owned but i have always known diesel smells horrible because of times when sitting behind a diesel at the lights and having to wind up the window as it stinks or reversing the diesel work ute into the workshop at work with poor ventilation , if left idling for to long in the workshop i have to go outside to get fresh air as i start to feel sick because of the diesel fumes. Some of my mates like it but to me it's one of the worst smells around.
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
I think the smell is normal , i have 2010 CRDI and i can't have my windows down when starting from cold as it is a very strong diesel smell that makes me feel sick and yet there is nothing wrong with the car. I just put it down to it being very rich as it's cold and the smell is less when warm but still there. It's the first diesel i have owned but i have always known diesel smells horrible because of times when sitting behind a diesel at the lights and having to wind up the window as it stinks or reversing the diesel work ute into the workshop at work with poor ventilation , if left idling for to long in the workshop i have to go outside to get fresh air as i start to feel sick because of the diesel fumes. Some of my mates like it but to me it's one of the worst smells around.

There is even a strong smell now when it's hot. . .
From what I understand, the EGR valve recycles exhaust gasses and re-burns them so if this is faulty it may explain it.
  • I30CW CrDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal