i30 Owners Club

High mileage for a diesel i30?

Offline catmanjan

• 1st Gear
Hi folks, looking to buy a 2008 i30 CRDi tomorrow, it's got 200,000km he said he'd take $5000 for it...

Too many kms?

Any ideas what fails at this stage?

Any model specific problems I should look out for?

I'm a pretty good backyard mechanic, but each make/model seems to have it's own problems, impossible to keep up with them!
  • Looking to buy

Offline catmanjan

• 1st Gear
Looking at two cars, both around 5k, but one has 200k and is diesel (2008) the other has just under 100k and petrol (2009)

Any opinions on which I should go for? Anything I should watch out for in either model?
  • Looking to buy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Check service history and crash damage on both.
Personally, if all that checks out, I'd go for the diesel.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The diesel is the pick of the motors but the petrol is still a strong reliable motor. Are they manual or auto. The manuals have been a bit more bullet proof and up to 20% more economical than the autos... I depends on how many kilometres you do each year.  If you do more than 20k per year the diesel will save you quite a bit, particularly if it is a manual.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline catmanjan

• 1st Gear
Yep both manual - do diesel i30s develop egr problems? Can't seem to find many reports of surviving high mileage ones,. Probably just because of the smaller following online
  • Looking to buy

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yep both manual - do diesel i30s develop egr problems? Can't seem to find many reports of surviving high mileage ones,. Probably just because of the smaller following online

I sold my FD diesel manual at 136,00 kms. No problems.
My current GD diesel manual has 179,000 kms and no issues other than EPS (which has been fixed).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I have a 2008 diesel with 254,000 km, no EGR problems so far. I haven't had any major problems, normal wear and tear so far... :mrgreen:

I don't remember posts about faulty EGR's or problems, most of them is about people wanting to block/disconnect the EGR because they don't like the function.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 12:32:36 by Asterix »
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I have a 2008 diesel with 2540,000 km, no EGR problems so far. I haven't had any major problems, normal wear and tear so far... :mrgreen:

I don't remember posts about faulty EGR's or problems, most of them is about people wanting to block/disconnect the EGR because they don't like the function.

That's a lot of kays! 
How is the moon these days?   :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I have a 2008 diesel with 2540,000 km, no EGR problems so far. I haven't had any major problems, normal wear and tear so far... :mrgreen:

That's a lot of kays! 
How is the moon these days?   :mrgreen:

Holy Moly, I might have been a little optimistic there...  :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal