i30 Owners Club

Location and number of Oil Control Valve(s) 2009 2.0l gas Touring

Offline drewg181

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Indiana
This should be an easy question, and I apologize that I have no service manual. Through my own negligence I allowed the oil to get really low several months ago. That issue has been resolved.  But now my 2009 2.0l Gas Touring is throwing a P0011 error which I believe to caused by a faulting Oil Control Valve. (Genuine Hyundai 24355-23800 Oil Control Valve Assembly) 

Am I correct if my belief that the 2.0 gas engine has only one of these and it's located on the engine's left side rear? (so immediately in front of me as I look at the engine from the front of the car)

Is it also a fair assumption I quite possibly fouled this valve due to my failure to tend to the oil?  The light is not always on, it seems more prevalent when the engine is cold. I will flush the engine oil one more time before I install this part.  I am detecting no driving/running issue, but she is driven only short distances at low speeds.

Cheers and thanks!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:04:17 by drewg181 »
  • 2009 FD 5 Door Hatch, Gas 2.0lt, Auto, Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Will alert a couple of our tech heads to your thread..

@cruiserfied
@nzenigma
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi mate, the P0011 is for  the oil control valve fault. The valve alters the cam position. Looking from the front of your car, it will be on the right hand side of the head (gearbox/ transmission) end.  Before you go off and buy a new one, look around the corner on the RH end of the head (above the gearbox) and you will see what looks like a sump plug. Remove it and find a gauze oil filter that is probably clogged . Should solve your problem.
Cheers  :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
And don't forget the hot tip from the women's forum - the oil filler cap is always component number 710. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hi mate, the P0011 is for  the oil control valve fault. The valve alters the cam position. Looking from the front of your car, it will be on the right hand side of the head (gearbox/ transmission) end.  Before you go off and buy a new one, look around the corner on the RH end of the head (above the gearbox) and you will see what looks like a sump plug. Remove it and find a gauze oil filter that is probably clogged . Should solve your problem.
Cheers  :)

Yeah that  :wss:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

The filter is in the area in red circle somewhere.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sorry pics are a bit crap but its dark in my shed and i have an Iphone  :'(

Oil control valve is bigger hole.

Filter basket.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys for the quick response! What a forum! :happydance:

Offline drewg181

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Indiana
Thank you! I have bought,but not installed the valve, but knew nothing of the mesh filter.
I see it and will remove clean it.

Thank you again!!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thank you! I have bought,but not installed the valve, but knew nothing of the mesh filter.
I see it and will remove clean it.

Thank you again!!

No problem, filter is rarely mentioned but often the problem.  :)
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
And don't forget the hot tip from the women's forum - the oil filler cap is always component number 710. :winker:

:) What about the forum's 710A filler cap?

Some years ago, I  imported a 1964 Mustang from the USA.
I drove it from the Brisbane import agent to the nearest fuel station.
The station was a rarity as it still had forecourt service.
Lovely young lady asked if I wanted a full tank of petrol. "Yes please, and it will take a litre of oil" ( flash car and big spender)
Gorgeous young lady bent under the bonnet to pour in the oil (Ahhh..Bliss  :whistler:)
Perplexed, she stood up, "It wont take the whole litre".
I took a look and found my 4 barrel Holley carburettor full of oil...to the brim.
The 710A cap ( commonly known as an air filter) was in the car's boot.  :head_butt:

Offline drewg181

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Indiana
I cleaned the filter and replaced it.  Honestly I saw very little debris. Others commented they thought it clean too.  I cleaned it in a parts bath complete with solvent coming out of a spigot, flowed in both directions.  I replaced it and reset the engine light with my reader. That was 2 days ago. So far so good.  I did receive the Oil Control Valve (as I ordered prior to discovering you guys.)  I will probably install it after my next oil change.

The only issue, and it probably is not one......is the filter and the metal plug two separate pieces? As I put it all back together, the bolt fell out, while the filter remained inside.  It looked properly set, so I just rethreaded the bolt and carried on (calmly of course).  I assume there is a shoulder to prevent the filter from going anywhere.

And finally......now I am REALLY REALLY REALLY sorry about Trump.  Anyone care to sponsor a 53 yr old white male and his charming 46 yr old wife for citizenship in Australia? We are awesome. really. 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Anyone care to sponsor a 53 yr old white male and his charming 46 yr old wife for citizenship in Australia? We are awesome. really.
:lol: :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
And finally......now I am REALLY REALLY REALLY sorry about Trump.  Anyone care to sponsor a 53 yr old white male and his charming 46 yr old wife for citizenship in Australia? We are awesome. really.
  :lol:

Our sympathy to yol.  Love to help. Problem is that our refugee camps are already overflowing.

Yes filter and plug are separate items. Sounds like you have done THAT correctly.  :P  Mate, best of luck during your  forthcoming 4 year wild ride.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Could be 8 years  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi again Drew. Glad you got the other matter sorted. Pity there wasn't a helpful forum to sort Trump.

Would love to sponsor you guys (wish it was that easy) :goodjob:

Unfortunately it will effect us Aussies too (in the hip pocket) I hate to think how much my superannuation will reduce by!  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Unfortunately it will effect us Aussies too (in the hip pocket) I hate to think how much my superannuation will reduce by!  :crazy1:

You wont get to spend it.  I think Trump will try to blow something up.
The Middle East is done and dusted thanks to George Bush and our J W Howard... so destroying China and North Korea will seem like another fun venture.  :blubber:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
South China Sea, US will build an island there, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The whole place is in shock. Even our old Silky Oak tree fell over during the night.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The whole place is in shock. Even our old Silky Oak tree fell over during the night.

Well I'll be blowed!  :snigger:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal