i30 Owners Club

locked out of i30

calderp · 14 · 6862

Offline calderp

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld
😓This afternoon I accidentally left the key in the ignition of my 2011 i30....I thought I had them in my hand but it was actually my garage remote. By this time I was outside the car  the doors locked automatically.  The hatch was unlocked fortunately so I was able to unlock a back door but it was quite a feat for a more mature lady.

I saw a post that it was not possiblefor the automatic locks to activate with keys in the car..is there a problem with my car or has it happened to others?.  I have always been wary of the locking system and keep the door ajar if I need to get out of the car for a few minutes but today  was a first!
  • I30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi and  :wttc: my car locks with the key inserted but only after I reach about 8/10 miles per hour...  Also, if the car's HALO (auto locking) feature activated then why did it not lock the boot, weird.

Someone more knowledgable than I may come along shortly and have a solution to this mystery.

In the meantime, be careful and always mindful where to find you're spare key.  You do have a spare key, dontcha !!!   ???

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've had my FD lock itself once after I got out and the door closed to the first click. Luckily I had the key in my hand. I have no idea why it did it on that occasion.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This subject was brought up by Alan a couple of years ago about the car can't be locked while the keys are inside...... I for one tried it out and the car would not lock while the key was inside.....might need to see your Hyundai dealer...

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I'm with you neptune,Bruce is a 2011 and you can't lock the car if one of the remotes is inside,I'd be asking the dealership to check the Halo settings on the car,from my understanding,is the car will only autolock if you unlock with the key and don't open the door within a certainly time period I think Bruce is set at 30 sec,but if we unlock Bruce,drive down the road(or further)stop the car turn it off and walk away with just closing the doors it will not auto lock,but I'm not sure how many settings the Halo system has,again get it checked by a dealer with the dyagnostic tools to be able to do it correctly
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
On my first i30, the 2007 year fd model, the driver door locked on me with the engine running.

I had been driving and the halo had activated.
Stopped the car and got out with engine still running to check an odd noise under the car.
As i looked under, the driver door shut and locked.
All other 3 passenger doors were still locked.
Fortunately the boot was unlocked so climbed in to open rear door.
Told correct by hy!

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
On my first i30, the 2007 year fd model, the driver door locked on me with the engine running.

Stopped the car and got out with engine still running to check an odd noise under the car.
Told correct by hy!
  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
                :crazy1:   WHAT WAS THE ODD NOISE ?   :crazy1:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Told correct by hy!

It was just some old Grandma he knocked over... He took the 10 points and moved on...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Told correct by hy!
Probably just some random cyclist.  :whistler:
Trev ducks. Runs for cover.

Edit. Trumped by Dazz.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
He was checking his exhaust, which was rattling at the time (iirc)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Snow built up around the wheel arches
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Snow built up around the wheel arches

Was it Winter?

If so, you could have frozen to death out there.

That's probably why Hy leave the boot unlocked in Britain.  :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm with you neptune,Bruce is a 2011 and you can't lock the car if one of the remotes is inside,I'd be asking the dealership to check the Halo settings on the car,from my understanding,is the car will only autolock if you unlock with the key and don't open the door within a certainly time period I think Bruce is set at 30 sec,but if we unlock Bruce,drive down the road(or further)stop the car turn it off and walk away with just closing the doors it will not auto lock,but I'm not sure how many settings the Halo system has,again get it checked by a dealer with the dyagnostic tools to be able to do it correctly
I just checked mine.
I can deadlock the doors from inside,  using the remote button.
And unlike when Halo locks the doors and you can open them with the internal door handle,  they stay locked. Door handles don't unlock them. You have to push the unlock button on the remote.
Just to reiterate,  this was done with me sitting in the driver's seat, but with the key in my hand not the ignition.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
When i first got my i30 FD from new, i locked the key in car accidentally and the whole car ( every door was locked and the key was in the car!!
I'll tell you what happened and it can still happen with GD as my fathder has one and still has same feature.
There is a button on the fob that if you push it it unlocks rear hatch good for at shops but when you close the rear hatch the hatch locks so in effect the whole car is locked. what happened to me is i used that button & as i closed hatch i dropped the key fob so i was locked out & key was in the rear hatch or boot

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal