i30 Owners Club

Glowplug Extraction

tw2005 · 60 · 15156

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
No, unfortunately this is not a tutorial yet. But here's my cheap and nasty extraction kit for about $40 from Ebay.

No instructions supplied, oh great.

Feel free to help out

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

My account is in the mail.  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Did you watch the video Trev, that guy explains virtually nothing :p

Better instructional vid and pdf download here :link: Win Tools W900-0199 Broken Glow Plug Removal Tool - Wise Auto Tools

tw2005, for $40 hopefully you haven't bought a cheap copy :undecided: the proper kit is $179, I hope it doesn't snap :eek:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:49:36 by CraigB »

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
[Did you watch the video Trev, that guy explains virtually nothing :p

:disapp: Wrong Mate, he said you "work over the fender", that's why its so useful.  :wacko:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

cheers, actually that should be a good link. I have seen it, will look again.

it would be quicker for you to drive down and deliver that invoice but I see you have the petrol so I understand.

Will you accept gold coins?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Did you watch the video Trev, that guy explains virtually nothing :p

Better instructional vid and pdf download here :link: Win Tools W900-0199 Broken Glow Plug Removal Tool - Wise Auto Tools

tw2005, for $40 hopefully you haven't bought a cheap copy :undecided: the proper kit is $179, I hope it doesn't snap :eek:

Where's the $179 one made?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The USA I would think as the site and price is all US.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Any links ?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Any links ?
Link is right there in my first reply :D

Cheers, seen.

I'm going to say this.

If you buy that $179 item from the states you are going to get the exact same Item I have for $40.

Note the video of the LASER 5205 kit, then download both the LASER 5205 instructions and  then download the "WISE TOOLS " version.

Not verbatim but so close, layout and warnings are plagurised in my opinion.

Also note the imagery of the case as the layout does not match the real item (Wise) but it is an exact replica of the LASER 5205 which is most likely what these have been cloned from.

Anyway, I'm kinda stuffed so I'll give it a go. The this appears to work by tapping into the stem and extracting like a puller. The material is all soft and alloy. I don't expect anything to snap. STrip maybe.

But I will report once I have a stiff scotch and get the courage to have a go.  :faint:

:link: Damaged Glow Plug Removal Set | Part No. 5205 | Part of the Engine/Diesel/Glow Plugs range from Laser Tools

:link: Laser 5205 Glow Plug Removal Set: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjr3eLG0cvSAhXqhlQKHfGnBDkQtwIIGzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dee6sfgIhfT4&usg=AFQjCNHtQ3QJsmMhaO7sVnvKvekRix9bxQ&sig2=ifKi7uflnW4ZLiU9tT9vBg

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Probably find they're all copies of the original BGS Technic set which sells at over $900, difference will be in the steel quality and tempering.
:link: BGS Germany CDI Glow Plug Extractor Remover Diesel Injector Thread Repair Set A+ | eBay

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:09:17 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Probably find they're all copies of the original BGS Technic set which sells at over $900, difference will be in the steel quality and tempering.
:link: BGS Germany CDI Glow Plug Extractor Remover Diesel Injector Thread Repair Set A+ | eBay

Funny thing is on ebay there's one reduced from $999 to $330. Wow, must be losing lots of money.

The truth is out there somewhere but now I'm feeling even happier I only paid $40 because how can anyone know what they are buying because they all look identical and quality wise nothing  is leaping out at me  visually.

Good news is I'm doing this on a motor not in use, so we're either going to be jumping for joy or laughing  in failure. Someone has to try things out, I'll take the hit for the team :happydance:

Geez, got to watch this F-ing mod tools

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah cant complain about the price, hopefully it does the job.

Good tools aren't cheap, I left all my auto tools in the US with my brother which never returned with him :disapp: strangely enough most of his tools came back with him though so I lost about 25-30k in tools but at least I got the cash from the drag car minus his advertising costs :head_knock:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yeah cant complain about the price, hopefully it does the job.

Good tools aren't cheap, I left all my auto tools in the US with my brother which never returned with him :disapp: strangely enough most of his tools came back with him though so I lost about 25-30k in tools but at least I got the cash from the drag car minus his advertising costs :head_knock:

cheers, just waiting for the cheap cordless to charge. May have one issue though. I've already had a go with a normal extraction tool  so will see. may have already cooked this goose.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

it would be quicker for you to drive down and deliver that invoice but I see you have the petrol so I understand.

The man is from Queensland.....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

The man is from Queensland.....

How many Duff Beers you had?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

I think the company selling it is a Trump affiliate (so almost certainly made in CHINA)  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi tw,
When you report back on this weekend's exploits , try to imagine pulling the glow plugs while the motor is in the car.
Like keeping the drill straight when cutting the old one out.
Ive been lucky thus far, :rolleyes: but may need to borrow it one day, if it does not break.  :D

Some of the Chinese gear is ok, but none have the quality or precision of US and Euro tools. Good luck
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi tw,
When you report back on this weekend's exploits , try to imagine pulling the glow plugs while the motor is in the car.
Ive been lucky thus far, :rolleyes: but may need to borrow it one day, if it does not break.  :D

Some of the Chinese gear is ok, but none have the quality or precision of US and Euro tools. Good luck

What time are you getting here today FFS?

last chat we had you were telling me how good you are at not breaking these :spitty:

Of to Bunnings I go. I guess when they mention some makes and not others there's a reason.

Not being a metal worker I think the tap is a finer pitch than the Hyundai plug.

Yes I'm seriously concerned about straightness. Just drilled No. 2 cyl. I can see thread but lineball with the EGR piping.

I think that will have to come off for No.4.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi tw,

last chat we had you were telling me how good you are at not breaking these :spitty:

Of to Bunnings I go. I guess when they mention some makes and not others there's a reason.

Not being a metal worker I think the tap is a finer pitch than the Hyundai plug.

Yes I'm seriously concerned about straightness. Just drilled No. 2 cyl. I can see thread but lineball with the EGR piping.

Noooo I said lucky. :whistler:

Why Bunnings? You getting ready for exploit # 2, the timing chain?  :rofl:

Ive got British tools that my Grandfather used in the Merchant Navy during WW1. Still in excellent condition. Includes a full tap and die set, perfect condition and almost useless because it is imperial size. :Pout:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi tw,

Noooo I said lucky. :whistler:

Why Bunnings? You getting ready for exploit # 2, the timing chain?  :rofl:

Ive got British tools that my Grandfather used in the Merchant Navy during WW1. Still in excellent condition. Includes a full tap and die set, perfect condition and almost useless because it is imperial size. :Pout:

Ok, the plugs are M10, the kit is for M10 but euro cars , so, the tap is 10 x 1, plug is 10 x 1.25.

Got a tap from Bunnings (ripped off)  good news is somehow managed to drill the top part and keep the old thread. Only needed half a dozen turns and it clear..

Next step is to tap out the core  to thread the puller into.

having difficulty with the plumbing and getting in there.

I'd hate to try this in the car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, it's not easy apparently. Not sure if it was before your time Gerard, but Asterix (who used to be a VW Technician in another life) had 2 glow plugs that wouldn't budge and when he took it to the service centre even they couldn't fix it! Needed a new head (quite a saga!)  :crazy1: :Shocked:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Quiet Dazz.

Now , If anyone gets this kit. Here's a real big issue.

Last step, extraction.

You grab the  1/4 tap and tap out the core, then thread the extractor and use the puler.

SImple, right?"

NOOOOOOOOOO!

The F-ing China man who did this has created an extractor that is not 1/4" in diameter.

I now have a large bloody hole. with nothing left to thread even if I get a smaller tap because I made sure I threaded as far as I could, good idea except I've been screwed. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum: :fum:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I had the right thread. I simply did not thread well enough. The tap has a big taper on it, not ideal

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I had the right thread. I simply did not thread well enough. The tap has a big taper on it, not ideal
Who was it had a go at me having a petrol engine?  :disapp:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
AND the motor was perfect until he touched it!  :rolleyes:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Shhhhhhhhhh!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Shhhhhhhhhh!
:happydance:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
AND the motor was perfect until he touched it!  :rolleyes:

C'mon. Glad you're not my tech advisor. Was not perfect at all. :spitty:

Got one out.

Here's where it went wrong. The tap supplied for the extractor is 1/4 - 28.

The extractor supplied, 6mm 1.0 pitch

I think it's all over red rover for plug one. Nolthing left to tap.

Cyl 4 plug is out, extractor is bent and split the casing . I reckon these were not tight looking at the blowby , gum andf varnish. Fought all the way.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 22:38:25 by tw2005 »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So what is the next step?  :undecided: :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal