i30 Owners Club

Blowby and sound

Offline nvo2002

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Just took off my oil filler cap whilst it was running from my i30 1.6crdi 2012 automatic with 40000km on
the clock and was met with rather alot of blowby that spat out oil.But what i also noticed was the sound  coming out  of  oil filler hole.Even my son said it sounds like a bearing  or chain chattering,and he has no mechanical knowledge at all.
Is this normal?

Regards Andrew
  • I30cw 1.6crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Just took off my oil filler cap whilst it was running from my i30 1.6crdi 2012 automatic with 40000km on
the clock and was met with rather alot of blowby that spat out oil.But what i also noticed was the sound  coming out  of  oil filler hole.Even my son said it sounds like a bearing  or chain chattering,and he has no mechanical knowledge at all.
Is this normal?

Regards Andrew

I guess when in doubt ask again.

As far as I'm concerned it's normal, but then I think I'm repeating myself. In fact today I was working on both my cars and popped the oil filler cap off, noise and vapours and it spat oil at me.

Both seemed the same. One has 45000k and the other 200 000k. Both running brilliantly. I found putting the cap back on fixed it.

I have a 2011 crdi i30 auto diesel.Its just out of warranty and was going to change the engine oil and was looking what specs had to be met.I took a look at previous  dealer service receipts and noticed that they had been putting in Castrol 5w30 acea C3.Problem is it clearly states near the oil filler cap to use acea b4 as it doesn't have a diesel particulate filter.Question I have, would it have harmed the engine in any way as it seems to have alot of valve etc noise  when I remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running?

Regards Andrew
Can't answer the  C3 question but I use A3/B4 spec and I also use 10W40 in my 200000k hatch, the wagon I've used Edge A3/B4 5W30 for the first time. Seems noisier than the hatch and it's a 45000k motor.

You may be looking for something that's not there. It's a diesel and they clatter. I've popped the cap off mine whilst running and I know what you mean but likely it's normal running noise.

For me if I look at the manual realistically I can us 15W oil given our ambients
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nvo2002

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Sorry for the ask again ,but thanks for the reply.Very much appreciate.I will put it to rest  once and for all.

Regards Andrew
  • I30cw 1.6crdi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal