i30 Owners Club

Hyundai 130 edition - the worst car i've ever bought !

Offline Unhappyi30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Paisley
Hello , obviously I am new here but I thought I would post this to see if other owners have had similar problems or if I have just been unlucky.

I bought my i30 4 years ago after having many great years motoring in my trusty Vectra. Initially I was very impressed with the i30 as it defied what I had paid for it . However problems started as soon as the warranty ran out .

I have had numerous suspension issues with it , starter motor problems , fuse box problems and as of yesterday the fuel tank has now fallen off the car as the straps rusted and gave way . its only a 60 plate as well and I look after my cars .

The reliablilty of it over the last 2 years has been dreadful , have other i30 drivers experienced similar or am I just unlucky?   
  • Hyundai i30 edition

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi

:wttc:

Most uncommom issues. Sound like the car have been driven on the salty beaches..? A 60 plate is a year..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. Wow! Definitely not typical at all. Like with any brand we get the odd unhappy owner, but this forum has thrived on the high percentage of happy owners. Without being biased I can safely say (backed up by various reliability surveys) that the i30 is amonst the most reliable cars on the road. You definitely scored a lemon. Be interested to know if it was an early Czech built car or from Korea. There are a few minor recurring faults but most of what matters is usually fairly bullet proof.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Unhappyi30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Paisley
Hi

:wttc:

Most uncommom issues. Sound like the car have been driven on the salty beaches..? A 60 plate is a year..?

apologies , in the uk the 60 plate refers to it being built September 2010

• Hyundai i30 edition

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Unhappyi30

Sorry to hear of your untimely issues.

Has it been serviced to the required schedule? I'm surprised that the rusty retainers weren't spotted earlier.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
How did it pass the mot with those rusty retainers  :question:

We have 2 i30's and our car is a 2010, still waiting for our 1st problem  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
From what you say re bought 4 years ago, do you know who owned it initially as to use and service details?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have had numerous suspension issues with it , starter motor problems , fuse box problems and as of yesterday the fuel tank has now fallen off the car as the straps rusted and gave way .

Hi Unhappyi30,
Sorry to hear that you have these problems.
I have to reiterate all the points other members have made. Especially, that the i30 has a healthy record for reliability and that your car was second hand when you bought it. Do you know ( for certain) its past history?
For me, Asterix's comment about beach driving  jumped to mind; however, I would go further to say it has probably been driven in salt water.
As rule of thumb, an i30 does not have "numerous suspension issues" . Can you elaborate on your issues?
Also mileage when bought and now.
Cheers :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 22:01:24 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Unhappyi30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Paisley
i bought it with around 26000 miles on the clock with one previous owner who was female . It now 46000 on the clock . I purchased it from my local Hyundai dealer and its been serviced and mot there without fail.

suspension issues range from front suspension spring failure which shredded my tyre on one occasion, drop link issues , the starter mtor has been changed , I required a new computer module( my knowledge of cars is limited so my terminology might not be correct) as the car wouldn't start .

I have never driven the car on a beach or anywhere near salt water . My issues seemed to start on expiry of the warranty .I'm also not a boy racer and drive my car normally but the things has been a disaster , compared to previous vehicles ive owned.

• Hyundai i30 edition

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't think anyone is suggesting you have driven in salt water.
Regardless of the "previous owners' details, you unfortunately have no way of knowing who else drove the car, or where they took it.
It certainly sounds to me as if it has been subjected to more than a little user abuse. Which is unfortunate for you.
Also, I realise it sounds "suss" that the problems only started after the warranty ran out but in all fairness, I've never seen any evidence that car manufacturers can "life" their componentry to fail after the warranty period.

I'm sorry to hear your tale of woe.

I guess if it was me, I'd be getting out from under as quickly as possible.

Incidentally, although my car is a Korean model, it has lived all its life (over 7 years) on the east coast of Australia with long periods parked at the beach while I surf. There is no evidence of rust anywhere, so far. "crosses fingers"  :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :whsaid:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Are you sure it wasn't in an accident before you owned it? The problems you have indicated are all the first time I have read of them.

I had a 2010 wagon which I sold at 136k never touched the suspension (and only had one wheel alignment in the 5 years of ownership).

Only problems I had were a minor fluid leak from the auto and the brake light switch recall.

The good Wife's has had the auto valves, a radiator give way, a non functioning window switch and the brake light recall (twice).

She has had 2 wheel alignments in 90k, but is less careful than my good self.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry, but whoever passed the mot was a w***er. Those types of failures would have bee apparent at inspection.I suspect it wasn't even inspected, quick money.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
OK, here's my two pennyworth.  I have the IDENTICAL car 'EDITION' in fact my car is slightly older than thine.

My car is an Edition on a 59 plate and I bought it pre reg from a main dealership, I have had two problems with it from new (both battery related) both times it was my fault but the dealership attended both times.  Other than that it has been the very best value and most reliable car I have ever owned and it still looks and drives like a new car, and I have owned a good few cars.

If you've bought a dud, and you seem to have, then that is really bad luck.  I, no we, can assure you that these cars are usually excellent cars.

As for the fuel tank falling off....  wow, I have been driving since 1959 and have never seen anything like that even on some of the old jalopies we drove back than (no MOT then) I have had cars that used as much oil as petrol and the guy behind had to turn is fog lamps in every time I changed gear.

Anyway, good luck with it

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brilliant post Asa.. Can't beat comparing a near identical car. :drinks:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Brilliant post Asa.. Can't beat comparing a near identical car. :drinks:

Totally agree Dazz and thanks, spot on Asa. :goodjob2:

@Unhappyi30 has been unlucky in his purchase.
 From his report, it is fair to say that his car has been mistreated before he acquired it.
It is the fault of the previous owner , compounded by dodgy MOT inspections. The faults are not the making of Hyundai designers. However, the dealer may need to answer  few questions. :(

Asa and I have been driving for about the same length of time and we have never seen a fuel tank incident as Unhappy has described. Having stripped a few damaged i30s for parts, I have made the wrecks safe by removing the tank. It is not an easy job ; the retaining straps are high tensile and resist cutting.

Given the evidence to date, I can only assume that the car has been in salt water; but, I am sure that problems will keep occurring.

My advice to Unhappy is to cut his losses and buy another i30, this time, from a reputable dealer.
 His car is in a dangerous state. By his own admission, Unhappy's knowledge of cars is limited. To keep driving this car is high risk.
 One could not ethically sell it for reuse, it should go to a car wrecker.

Sorry I cant be more positive mate. :disapp:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Holly Cow,that is what I call unlucky,I'm with ASA,I've driven literally thousands of vehicles over the past 44 years,not once have I ever seen a fuel tank fall out,when I first got my licence(many moons ago)I even had a couple of cars that had there fuel tanks held in by fencing wire(maybe I suggest Hy get better fencing wire)sounds like you have come across a Friday built car,or even a Monday built car.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Picture of fuel tank and straps would be appreciated

Offline Unhappyi30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Paisley
I've enclosed the bill from the garage , this time I've used a local one rather than the dealership who have appeared to be quiet lax in their mot inspections etc .

I've driven for nearly 26 years and my first car was a right old banger , but as other have said , I've never heard of a fuel tank falling off .

I've no idea as to the previous history of the car , and if it has been involved in a previous accident the dealership have never disclosed it .

It was a genuine Hyundai dealership I have used , but given their apparent malaise , the comments on here and the problems I've had with the car it's getting traded in for something else and definately not another Hyundai !

• Hyundai i30 edition

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:whsaid:

But don't tar all Hyundai cars with the same brush. I once had a tough sirloin steak at an Italian restaurant but it didn't stop me eating beef elsewhere ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

.. and I've got a couple of dodgy ex wives, but still went back for a 3rd, 20 years ago!

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Hey @eye30,  In Oz we can do anything.

I found some lads on the  :scared: Southside  :scared: . I told them Lester in Wirral , who rides a bike, needs a photo. 'No problem for a bro', they said.
Ten minutes later they had found me an i30 at the train station and even removed the exhaust so that you could have a better look.

http://i.imgur.com/zBmxiAl.jpg

Apparently the lady owner was complaining about a funny noise as she drove home from the station. :wacko:

She said, "it's getting traded in for something else and definitely not another Hyundai ! "
    :winker:

Offline Brisvegas

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia

I found some lads on the  :scared: Southside  :scared: . I told them Lester in Wirral , who rides a bike, needs a photo. 'No problem for a bro', they said.
Ten minutes later they had found me an i30 at the train station and even removed the exhaust so that you could have a better look.

Apparently the lady owner was complaining about a funny noise as she drove home from the station. :wacko:

She said, "it's getting traded in for something else and definitely not another Hyundai ! "

:rofl:
  • 2016 i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Brill

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I've enclosed the bill from the garage , this time I've used a local one rather than the dealership who have appeared to be quiet lax in their mot inspections etc .

I've driven for nearly 26 years and my first car was a right old banger , but as other have said , I've never heard of a fuel tank falling off .

I've no idea as to the previous history of the car , and if it has been involved in a previous accident the dealership have never disclosed it .

It was a genuine Hyundai dealership I have used , but given their apparent malaise , the comments on here and the problems I've had with the car it's getting traded in for something else and definately not another Hyundai !

Just for clarification
Did the tank actually fall off or were the straps replaced as the other work was being done as a precausionary measure.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal