i30 Owners Club

Windscreen Wiper Judder

marabak · 22 · 4363

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Hey. On my drivers side WW, there is substantial "judder" on the up-stroke from the resting position of the WW up to around 45 degrees of the arm. By judder, I mean that the WW doesn't wipe water, but instead leaves "lines" of water and smears around ever cm or so as well as making a godawful racket. The implication to me is that the blade is bouncing off the window as opposed to stroking past, but I could be wrong. It's hard to tell though as it passes by too quickly for my eyes and turning the ignition off mid-cycle doesn't "freeze" the bounce. Passenger and rear are both fine.

It has done this for a long time, possibly since I have had the car (coming up to 2.5 years or so) but over the last week I finally broke and decided to try and fix it (the weather here has been atrocious). I did change the WW for some Bosch ones around a year ago, and thought maybe they were due for a new pair anyway. Some research on the good ol' internet has quite a few instances of "speed related judder" (albeit not on i30s) but mine also happens whilst stationary so I think it might be only tangentially related.

This link (:link: HYUNDAI I30 Lucas Conventional - Quality Wiper Blade - Pair 2417 | eBay) claims to be "judder-free" but I'm not sure how much of this is just marketing.

I've cleaned the blades themselves, cleaned the window with vinegar and tried adjusting the angle that the blade is sitting against the window.

Has anyone got any opinions or potential solutions. I'm not averse to buying new blades although I am unconvinced that it might be the solution.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Given you have changed the blades and still occurs and car is still in warranty just get the dealer to look at it.

Although i could suggest that the problem could be grease on the window screen so have you degreased it and see how that goes....otherwise just get dealer to check out the ww motor and parts....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
and car is still in warranty just get the dealer to look at it.

It's a 2009...  :whistler:

Sounds to me like the blades angle to the window needs adjustment since the judder is only when going up.  Remember, it's the wiper arm that needs adjustment, not the blade.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not nice when that happens. I've had cars do that (one of my Toyota Camry's from memory)

I think it improved when I got new wiper assemblies. Over here you can sometimes get the new blades with the metal arm included for not much more than just the blades. I think the ones I got were Tridon? But not sure if they are available in the UK.

Like this...

:link: Tridon Flex Blade Wiper - Hook, 19", Single - Supercheap Auto
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I bought a bunch of silicone wiper blades. They smeared, juddered and screeched. A bit of detergent in the washer helped.
Eventually binned them and bought rubber blades.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline marabak

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Liverpool
Cheers for the replies guys.

Yeah, it is a 2009 and I bought it secondhand myself, so well out of warranty :D I've tried to degrease the windscreen using vinegar in warm water but no fix unfortunately. I'll look into getting the whole assembly arm rather than just the blade now, see if that helps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for the replies guys.

Yeah, it is a 2009 and I bought it secondhand myself, so well out of warranty :D I've tried to degrease the windscreen using vinegar in warm water but no fix unfortunately. I'll look into getting the whole assembly arm rather than just the blade now, see if that helps.
Hope it helps, please keep us posted..

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hello, Have you thought about using an additive, like rainx? It makes the water  bead, but it has another benifit of making the windscreen slippery, which  makes it easier for wiperblades to slide. I used to use the direct rub onto the windcscreen type, and that made a very slippery surface. But now I use the one that is added to the  washer tank.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've never tried rainx or equivalents... sounds like I should! Thanks for suggesting that.  :victory:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
RainX is a good solution (pardon the pun) but if you have a forward-facing dashcam it will have trouble seeing through it. At least it did when I tried it.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

RainX is a good solution (pardon the pun) but if you have a forward-facing dashcam it will have trouble seeing through it. At least it did when I tried it.

Thanks, If I get some and apply it I'll leave that part of the screen untreated...  :idea:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The juddering is caused by either using dish washing liquid as a detergent in your windscreen washer or wax from insects that have impacted on your screen. generally, a reputable screen cleaner and washer solvent should dissolve the residue on the screen. In the mean time, try wiping the screen with a dampened newspaper, somehow it makes the screen smoother and don't forget to wipe the blades too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hello, Have you thought about using an additive, like rainx? It makes the water  bead, but it has another benifit of making the windscreen slippery, which  makes it easier for wiperblades to slide. I used to use the direct rub onto the windcscreen type, and that made a very slippery surface. But now I use the one that is added to the  washer tank.

I have just been round to Halfords and purchased some, although it is not raining just now in Manchester it will be shortly.  Anyhow I added some and did a few quick'ish stops and starts to mix in in, then went onto M&S for a BACON BALM.  when I had eaten I cam out and even in the dry there was no judder.

Thank you :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I have just been round to Halfords and purchased some, although it is not raining just now in Manchester it will be shortly.  Anyhow I added some and did a few quick'ish stops and starts to mix in in, then went onto M&S for a BACON BALM.  when I had eaten I cam out and even in the dry there was no judder.

At last you can now see the light and give man city a wide berth.

Come on the blues.............. everton of course.........not city
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Lester, you mean that there is a football team in everton no surely not.  Your letting your delusional thinking get the better of you again  <sigh> 

Keep taking the medication Lester, sincere sympathies  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now, are you sure it wasn't the Bacon Balm that made the difference?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I bought a bunch of silicone wiper blades. They smeared, juddered and screeched. A bit of detergent in the washer helped.
Eventually binned them and bought rubber blades.
Funny you should say that.
I've found the silicon blades last longer and are less prone to juddering even on a dirty screen.

We started using them when i wàs still working and replacement Blades for Mazda's 3 and 6 would judder from new unless we paid for genuine ones. The silicon ones did the trick.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the tip.

I got the silicone ones from Supercheap , they were in various colours so thought it would be cool to match the paint on various cars. FAIL!

So may be Supercheap-cheap and not silicone.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
That's weird...I have been using the coloured Supercheap silicone blades on my Getz for around 4 years now with no issues.

The windscreen needs to be cleaned with a dedicated glass cleaner to start off with...and each time I wash the car I give the blades a good wipe with a rag...it's amazing what clings to them. Occasionally I clean the blades with a rag soaked in the glass cleaner too.

Dunno...I really like the silicone blades...

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:30:56 by Paolo5 »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks for the tip.

I got the silicone ones from Supercheap , they were in various colours so thought it would be cool to match the paint on various cars. FAIL!

So may be Supercheap-cheap and not silicone.
I've used the Supercheap ones with no issues either. But not the fancy colours.  :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks guys, Well that's two against one, :( Ok i'll dive into the wheelie bin and retrieve them  :rolleyes:

Each time I got an RWC, the screeching blades embarrassed me , and my mechanic mate seemed to know straight up that it was Silicone.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal