i30 Owners Club

About to buy i30 1.6 Diesel but £150+VAT added for warranty?

Buel · 10 · 2805

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Hi all.
Later today I'm driving to a car dealer to look at/buy an i30. It's 2013, has done 40,000 miles, no stamp in the book for it's 20,000 mile service but I've rang the Hyundai dealership that did it and they confirm it was done on 28,000 and is due another one now (cost £199).
The car dealer's price is £7,175 and they have in the small print an extra cost of £150+VAT for 'after care'. When I questioned them on this they say that it is effectively to cover themselves for the Consumer Rights Act that enables customers to bring the car back if it's faulty within 30 days. This has annoyed me slightly.

I guess what I'm asking is should I tell them to take the cost of the service and the 'after care' off and, if all else is well, I'll buy it for that price - £6,800?
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmm.. welcome.

1. I don't like the bit that states the first service interval (@ 20k miles) was missed. That isn't good for the warranty - get the warranty validity & balance confirmed in writing.

2. I would not expect to have to fork out for a service, especially when purchasing from a dealer. Is it a Hyundai dealer? I'd want to collect my car fully prepared for road use.

3. That "after care" would annoy me as well. You'll probably find it's to partially fund an insurance policy they take out to cover themselves against you returning the car under the 30 day rule. Seems a bit excessive though.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:  :whsaid:

I would be looking at alternative cars with a better service record I reckon.

Us Aussies who have a 15,000 kilometre or 12 month service schedule are horrified they go 20,000 miles in the UK. 28,000 miles is crazy :crazy1: It makes me think the first owners had very little or no respect for their car.

We have quite a few members who change their oil every 7,500 kms (I think that is overkill, but they obviously do really care for their cars)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Hmm.. welcome.

1. I don't like the bit that states the first service interval (@ 20k miles) was missed. That isn't good for the warranty - get the warranty validity & balance confirmed in writing.

2. I would not expect to have to fork out for a service, especially when purchasing from a dealer. Is it a Hyundai dealer? I'd want to collect my car fully prepared for road use.

3. That "after care" would annoy me as well. You'll probably find it's to partially fund an insurance policy they take out to cover themselves against you returning the car under the 30 day rule. Seems a bit excessive though.

3. Thanks for that. Yes I think the sales guy mentioned the insurance policy.
2. Agreed but I was thinking that I could get the £199 off the price?Not a Hyundai dealer, 'The Car Sales Company' from Bury. Hit and miss reviews!
1. I have spoken to a Hyundai dealer and they said that if the future issue was with, say, a fuel injector, then Hyundai wouldn't pay for that but if it was, say, a ball joint or electric windows issue then the service issue wouldn't be a problem?
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Offer £6,500. At the first shake of the head, walk.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Personally i would not bother as the t&c's re warranty are invalid due to service at 28k and not 20k. Not just over but WELL OVER as i think they allow 1k or 1 month over.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Offer £6,500. At the first shake of the head, walk.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that, all of you. I did walk away but only after the sales guy insisted that 'the bosses' wouldn't remove this £150+VAT charge and wouldn't take the £199 service cost off. He said that they would do the service and I questioned whether this would further negate the Hyundai warranty and he said that it wouldn't (but there's no way that they would use Hyundai parts, I would imagine).
Thanks for the help, guys!!
  • i30

Offline Buel

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wrexham
Personally i would not bother as the t&c's re warranty are invalid due to service at 28k and not 20k. Not just over but WELL OVER as i think they allow 1k or 1 month over.
Earlier, I spoke to a Hyundai dealer and they said that if the future issue was with, say, a fuel injector, then Hyundai wouldn't pay for that but if it was, say, a ball joint or electric windows issue then the service issue wouldn't be a problem.
  • i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Earlier, I spoke to a Hyundai dealer and they said that if the future issue was with, say, a fuel injector, then Hyundai wouldn't pay for that but if it was, say, a ball joint or electric windows issue then the service issue wouldn't be a problem.
I see what they say but that is a dealer not hy hq who i guess will apply the t&c's to the letter.

I presume dealers have to get the ok from hy hq before they do a warranty job so would depend on the relationship between you, the dealer and hy hq.

On that note if hy uk hq put what the dealer says in writting setting out what would not be covered then you have it recorded should you buy the car and a warranty claim is submitted.

Plus a bargaining tool to negotiate with garage as you may be willing to fund any repairs.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You were wise to walk away. The whole manufacturers engine warranty on that vehicle is currently void.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal