i30 Owners Club

iPhone 4s for music?

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hi all

New to this group as I just bought a second hand i30 cw diesel 2010 model. Loving it so far but need to get my music sorted. I tried USB but as I have a large collection, the method of scrolling through album titles only is just too horrible. I'd like to be able to scroll artist, then album and then select one to play but, from what I can see, it doesn't work that way.

So, my plan B is I have an old iPhone 4s that I use for music (phone part has died but it's 64gb so perfect for music). If I bough the iPod cable, would it work in this car (as normal cable doesn't work)?  Will it be easier to scroll artist, then select album to play?

Appreciate your advice :)

Cheers!
  • i30 CW 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, Black

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not sure about the FD :undecided: but in my GD the 4s will play it's music via the supplied usb charge cable when connected, the only issue I have is the head unit is a pig of a thing and navigating iphone music through it is a p.i.t.a :disapp: I'll put my fist through it one day and replace it with a nice Pioneer :D

Navigating music via the iPhone is much easier than through the head unit but I think it has to be mounted for legality reasons.

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Yeah, the stock head unit is a PITA for navigating music, as you said.  I've ordered a cable to see if that improves but, from what I've read, it wont.  So I'm thinking I may have to cut my dash to insert a head unit that actually works with direct ipod control.  Anything has to be better than what I'm dealing with at the moment.  The cutting of the dash doesn't worry me, but connecting all the cables behind the dash makes me nervous...  :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: Heaps of discussions on here about audio upgrades for the FD (even some recent ones)

Just browse the appropriate sections

:link: ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC/AUDIO

and/or use our search function.

I think there are even a couple of installation guides shared by members which may come up (if not there should be some on youtube)

:link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Thanks Dazzler.  I was already in there poking around, and had bookmarked the How to Remove one.  Hoping to find a RHD dash to suit for a good price otherwise I think I will dremel it.  Just researching first before I start.  :)

Offline Fatal.lordes

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Actually, a question - and its probably a dumb one...  I assume, when taking out the stereo it came with to install a new one, I would have to cut the plug off the cable in the car so that I can match the respective coloured cables to the cables that would normally (I assume) come with a new stereo which connect to the plug head that would plug into the back of the new stereo.  Hope that makes sense.  Or is there some better way of doing it rather than actually cutting the head off the car cable?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal