Gear shift indication

GaKu · 10 · 4227

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Hi,

I bought a used 2011 1.4 petrol model last year.  When accelerating, the gear upshift indicator would come up around 2300 rpms. I got the car completely serviced 2 months ago and changed my driving pattern and got more heavy footed. Now the indicator comes up around 2700 rpms. Is this the computers reaction to my aggressiveness or has the engine become more efficient now? Is the computer smart enough to figure out the most efficient point of shifting based on engine condition?

I would like to hear at what rpms others see the shift indication.

-Gaurav
  • 2011 i30

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
The computer does take into account your driving condition. While driving in a relaxed manner, the engine will run nicely at low rpm and upshifting indicator is shown early, but during harder acceleration more rpm is needed to deliver power and to avoid labouring.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I actually thought the indication came for better mileage. I will try to drive smoother and see what happens.
  • 2011 i30

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Driving in a relaxed manner did not change anything. The indicator coming up at higher rpm is just because of the new oil which made the engine smoother.
The manual also says that the gear shift indicator comes up for the best mileage.
  • 2011 i30

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
In my experience its speed dependant, it always shows at the same speed, even if I'm going up a 12 degree incline and shifting would make the engine lug. But if the throttle is pushed far enough down, it will dissappear.

I find the feature rather useless, I've shifted up long before it wants me to, or in on a lower gear for a reason. It could be a great feature if it helped select the best gear for the occasion.

Might be different on the petrol and diesel, but I doubt it.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I find my shift indicator is totally load dependent, if accelerating lightly then the advised up shift will be displayed at quite low rpms, if accelerating faster then up shift is displayed later and if I hold gear and keep accelerating then the next up shift advised could be two shifts up...even 4 shifts up if I'm doing 80-90km's in second :whistler:

If the shift changes are different after an oil change then it's possible the oil viscosity difference has slightly reduced load on the engine.

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
I find my shift indicator is totally load dependent, if accelerating lightly then the advised up shift will be displayed at quite low rpms, if accelerating faster then up shift is displayed later and if I hold gear and keep accelerating then the next up shift advised could be two shifts up...even 4 shifts up if I'm doing 80-90km's in second :whistler:

If the shift changes are different after an oil change then it's possible the oil viscosity difference has slightly reduced load on the engine.

90k on 2nd?  :Shocked: hitting the red line?  :sweating:
I'm surprised it allows 4 up shifts at that point.

• 2011 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

90k on 2nd?  :Shocked: hitting the red line?  :sweating:
I'm surprised it allows 4 up shifts at that point.
Had my max rpm (redline) raised so its close but can push all the way to 7800 if I like, very rare for me to ever push it hard though...she’s babied around mostly :)

You can upshift to any gear you like in a manual,  I’ll quite often skip through gears if I’ve taken off a bit quicker and reached my coasting speed.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

With our GD in eco and in D,  it will shift into second at 6000 if you  floor it from standstill.  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

With our GD in eco and in D,  it will shift into second at 6000 if you  floor it from standstill.  :lol:

:Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal