i30 Owners Club

Tyre pressure after service

John B · 37 · 7483

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Checked my tyre pressures after having my i30 serviced and found all tyres at 44 psi. Was also told tyres were nearly illegal and when checking the fronts had slight wear on the edges but looked like a new tyre across the face . Normally keep pressure about 37psi owing to many roundabouts in my area but never as high as 44psi. Used a local tyre retailer to rotate the wheels & balance for $20 who told me tyres were fine. Dealer wanted to to do it for $45 and were more than likely trying to sell me new tyres.  :roll eyes:  Car has only 12.275 km on it. 
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Did you check the tyres soon after driving back from the service? They could have been hot and appear over-inflated.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I run mine at 36 - 38 psi.   and  Rotate but don't re-balance unless I feel it needs one. Best to use a quality personal tyre pressure gauge rather than rely on the servo ones that are so inconsistent.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Crazy isn't it John. You shouldn't have to do these checks but it pays to.  :crazy1:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Did you check the tyres soon after driving back from the service? They could have been hot and appear over-inflated.

Hi Shambles, Yes checked them cold this morning after being in the garage o/night.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I run mine at 36 and I agree with Gary re having your own reliable gauge.
Incidentally, my Leyland P76s run at 24-26 which surprises many.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
John
another reason I haven't used a dealership for some time,I also mark my filter oil filter case,engrave my initials on the fuel filte rim(top where you can get to)I've caught three dealerships out for charging what they have not done
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
John
another reason I haven't used a dealership for some time,I also mark my filter oil filter case,engrave my initials on the fuel filte rim(top where you can get to)I've caught three dealerships out for charging what they have not done
:goodjob: :Shocked: :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Checked my tyre pressures after having my i30 serviced and found all tyres at 44 psi. Was also told tyres were nearly illegal and when checking the fronts had slight wear on the edges but looked like a new tyre across the face . Normally keep pressure about 37psi owing to many roundabouts in my area but never as high as 44psi. Used a local tyre retailer to rotate the wheels & balance for $20 who told me tyres were fine. Dealer wanted to to do it for $45 and were more than likely trying to sell me new tyres.  :roll eyes:  Car has only 12.275 km on it.

So the dealership told you the tyres were nearly illegal after only 12000kms ??? is that right
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi johnb,
Our i has 11500 on it , just about to rotate. Good, even wear on all 4.
Can't see how yours could be dead.
They are NEXEN , usually run at 36 but noted max psi is 41.
Took them to 40 the other day . Definitely stiffer. So yours isn't that much higher
Isn't edge wear a sign of under inflation? .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi johnb,
Our i has 11500 on it , just about to rotate. Good, even wear on all 4.
Can't see how yours could be dead.
They are NEXEN , usually run at 36 but noted max psi is 41.
Took them to 40 the other day . Definitely stiffer. So yours isn't that much higher
Isn't edge wear a sign of under inflation? .

Edge wear is quite common on front wheel drive if like me you live in an area that has so many roundabouts but you are quite right edge wear on the inner and outer of the tyre can be caused by under inflation . Have always kept my pressures at 37psi. Tyres are not dead, that was a remark from the dealer after a service was carried out, a big exaggeration on their part. Very slight wear on the edge but across the tyre they look like new, that is on the fronts, the rears are perfect. Tyres have now been rotated. Perhaps in hindsight I should have rotated the tyres at 10.000km instead of 12.000km.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
John

Reckon they would be quick to refund when you came in to discuss it with them.....

Trust is a big thing with a mechanic. Thats why I use the bloke I use.  Has only ever made one mistake, but he owned it and made it right.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

So the dealership told you the tyres were nearly illegal after only 12000kms ??? is that right

Hi joebris, Yes that is correct 12270km on the clock and told me they were on the verge of illegal and I should get them sorted out sooner than later. Told them in no uncertain terms what a load of crap.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Hi joebris, Yes that is correct 12270km on the clock and told me they were on the verge of illegal and I should get them sorted out sooner than later. Told them in no uncertain terms what a load of crap.
@John B
Any chance you could post up a pic of the tyre?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

@John B
Any chance you could post up a pic of the tyre?

The best I good do seeing the front tyres are now on the rear. Did make mistake stating they were Hankook tyres they are Nexen Roadian.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:00:22 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Tyre from left & right view. The view from the left is in full light the one from the right is in shadow.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:03:44 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Running on canvas, get that unsafe car off the road.  :)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. Thanks JB.
Yep. Certainly legal for some time yet.
I would be running them at as high a pressure as you're comfortable with though.
That's a pretty savage shoulder wear. You're certainly correct about roundabouts. They're wonderful for traffic flow and a nightmare for tyre wear.
Just a word of caution about that type of wear.
When cornering, whether on a roundabout or just turning, with sidewall flex, a significant portion of the car's weight is concentrated on that outside shoulder. The good tread will only just be in contact with the road.
Which means, especially in the wet,you may not have a lot of grip, because the tread that's doing all the work is pretty worn.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi Johnb,
pattern looks the same as our "i" . Not a lot of  roundabouts on the daily work grind for our "i"
This is our first fwd -ever.  Will keep an "i" on it.

hi surferdude,
Will remember winter / rain advice re: fwd.
Usually dialing opp. lock  .

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
OK. Thanks JB.
I would be running them at as high a pressure as you're comfortable with though.
That's a pretty savage shoulder wear. You're certainly correct about roundabouts. They're wonderful for traffic flow and a nightmare for tyre wear.
When cornering, whether on a roundabout or just turning, with sidewall flex, a significant portion of the car's weight is concentrated on that outside shoulder. The good tread will only just be in contact with the road.
Which means, especially in the wet,you may not have a lot of grip, because the tread that's doing all the work is pretty worn.

Thank's Surferdude, appreciate your advice. I will run them at 40psi and see how I will go. I am a pretty sedate driver so their will be no fast cornering for me, in fact I might stick my foot out when cornering  :snigger: The dealer told me the cause of the wear was because I went around the roundabouts to slow. :undecided: The strange thing is my daughter has a i30 same age as mine but double the kms with Hankook tyres that have no noticeable wear at all, go figure .
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. Thanks JB.

Thank's Surferdude, appreciate your advice. I will run them at 40psi and see how I will go. I am a pretty sedate driver so their will be no fast cornering for me, in fact I might stick my foot out when cornering  :snigger: The dealer told me the cause of the wear was because I went around the roundabouts to slow. :undecided: The strange thing is my daughter has a i30 same age as mine but double the kms with Hankook tyres that have no noticeable wear at all, go figure .
This would be the same dealership who told you your tyres needed replacing?  :crazy1:

Having had my little dig, there IS a cornering technique which will help. But going slow ain't it.  :crazy2:
I'm not sure I can explain this in words but basically it's about entering the roundabout in such a manner as to keep the car sitting as flat as possible on the suspension. The initial turning of the wheel is where most of the damage is done. Especially with power steering which has a tendency to magnify your action, thus distorting the LF tyre quite savagely.
I tend to use (where safe) "racing" lines. ie Approach wide, cut gently in towards the apex and then let the car drift ( I don't mean sliding) out towards the left hand edge of the road on exit. Essentially, easy initial turn of the wheel, then keep the radius as long as possible.
IMHO most of the damage is done by drivers who approach the roundabout in the middle of the road and keep the same distance from the edges all the way around.
Pay attention to the "balance" or "attitude" of the car. If it feels like the weight is transferred forward that's not good for the front left tyre.
So, approach marginally slower, then apply gentle throttle all the way through. This should transfer some of the weight towards the rear of the car.

Bloody hell! It's easy to explain sitting beside someone in a car. Not so in the written word.  :p

Hope some of that made sense.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Suferdude,
You said :

Would it pay to transpose the rims/tyres
ie - lh tyre to rh rim etc,etc, keeping wear to the inside of the car ?

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
@ Surferdude. Sure did make sense, your virtually saying cut out the roll. Did think of another way to achieve it ( go straight across the roundabout ) :D Seriously though I will try what you suggested.  Going down to the local shops from where I live there are 9 roundabouts so 18 there and back !!! Just one question how come as I have mentioned, my Daughter has done twice the kms lives in the same estate and has no wear on her Hankook tyres that I have kept to the same 37 psi as mine ? Are Hankooks known to wear better than Nexen's ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@ Surferdude. Sure did make sense, your virtually saying cut out the roll. Did think of another way to achieve it ( go straight across the roundabout ) :D Seriously though I will try what you suggested.  Going down to the local shops from where I live there are 9 roundabouts so 18 there and back !!! Just one question how come as I have mentioned, my Daughter has done twice the kms lives in the same estate and has no wear on her Hankook tyres that I have kept to the same 37 psi as mine ? Are Hankooks known to wear better than Nexen's ?
I'd have to ride with each of you to answer that.
Are they both the same size? Are they 15", 16" or 17"?
The lower the profile, the less flex in the sidewall.
My Hankooks (195/60R15) lasted only 28,000 klms but wore perfectly evenly. No shoulder wear.  But that's terrible mileage. I have over 50 on my current set and not half worn. It's more than 10 years since I've had any experience with Nexens so I can't offer any advice there.

Of course, I'm assuming your car doesn't have either some excessive toe-in or positive camber.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
205/16 on mine and the daughters car. Good point about toe in or camber. May have to find a decent place that can do a good job checking that, problem is finding one
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
It appears that side wear on the fronts (FD) will be really bad if you run low 30's psi. Colleagues and I run the Hyundai at 38 psi. all round.
My wife wrecked the outer tread on her FD fronts in about 20K, she was running  34 psi. which I would normally use; and she uses ' track approach' when negotiating corners.
I replaced her tyres with something used ( but good tyres) that came off a wreck, and got her to run them at 38 psi.
They have done 30k, look ok and don't have the side tread wear.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm a committed 41er all 'round for a nice flat treadface. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Another one who uses his age (and not his IQ) for his tyre pressures.   :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

He's probably referring to his racing slicks.   :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal