i30 Owners Club

Can't decide between a i30 2009 slx, i30 2011 sx or 2009 sonata (diesel, auto)

paleace · 66 · 16122

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Shaky? Too hard to comment. How many have you test driven? That's probably the best guide you'
ll get to know normal / abnormal. It's a diesel so more noise and vibration than a petrol but nothing too bad. Bit of resonance up the RPM range.

Two main mounts are the drivers side which is fluid filled, can sink down with age and rest on the rubber stop. the other you'll struggle to see on the gearbox can get tears.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Can you live with a plain Jane? 2011 CW , Silver Auto, 1 owner, private sale , 95000k, $9000, base model, no extras at all but looks pretty good. Sunshine Coast / Noosa

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
There are SX i30s that are the same price with lower ks (55ks, and 88ks). Although it would be nice to have as low ks as possible, but I don't want to regret not getting a SLX with climate control and CC down the road. I feel that the extra features are a good trade off. As long as it has been serviced regularly I don't think I'll really be missing out on anything.

Two main mounts are the drivers side which is fluid filled, can sink down with age and rest on the rubber stop. the other you'll struggle to see on the gearbox can get tears.

At what Ks would you expect to see this happening, would it be likely to have happened at 116ks?

If it had it's last stamped service at 100,000km then it's next service would be due at 115,000km, service requirement is 15,000km or 12 months - which ever occurs first.

He was showing me through the book and he definitely had the one before the 120k service done, but he hadn't done most of the optional services. Is there a link to the hyundai service book? I looked at :link: Car Servicing Cost & Price Guide for a Hyundai FD I30 1.6 T/D Auto 02/08- - carservice.com.au and it shows one at 105k then 120k. Are the prices for the 120k accurate? If so that might mean an early service probably around 3 months after getting the car in my case.
  • i30 crdi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Service schedule/quotes can be found on the Hyundai website :link: Get a Service Quote - Hyundai Australia

The factory book schedule is 105,000 then 120,000 but if it has had an early service done at 100,000 then the next is due at 115,000 or 12 months, whichever comes first.

If the car is currently on 117,000 then it's already overdue.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Of all that, the most concerning to me might be the vibration in the engine bay (maybe check mounts) electric window solution might just turn out to be the switch.

My thoughts too!!  :goodjob2:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Would Stateroads inspectors be able to see if the auto transmission has any slipping or if the timing chain guides are worn?
  • i30 crdi

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
no. Use a good mechanic
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
no. Use a good mechanic
Currently checking the databases for an image of one :mrgreen:  Sure hard to find :groan:

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Ok so I got the car inspected by a mechanic and the only major problem found was an oil leak in the main seal ring for the transmission which cannot be seen from the bottom because the tray underneath contains it. It's a very slow leak but he said it could cost around 1.5k at a dealer and 700-1000 at another mechanic. He also said that you could use a seal rejuvinator for it and has seen success with it before. So that is quite unfortunate, do you think it's still worth getting for around 8.5k or should i offer a lower price.
  • i30 crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ok so I got the car inspected by a mechanic and the only major problem found was an oil leak in the main seal ring for the transmission which cannot be seen from the bottom because the tray underneath contains it. It's a very slow leak but he said it could cost around 1.5k at a dealer and 700-1000 at another mechanic. He also said that you could use a seal rejuvinator for it and has seen success with it before. So that is quite unfortunate, do you think it's still worth getting for around 8.5k or should i offer a lower price.

With the other issues you mentioned before I would keep looking I reckon. Otherwise show them the report and offer 8K maybe?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
so here are the exact words of the report:

-Oil   leaks at under body/drive line wash down needed to confirm leaks and repair accordingly -bell housing/sump area.
-Some wear visible at suspension and bushes etc. but consistent for age and kms.
-Vehicle   has   had   panel   and   paint   repairs   to   various   panels   -   No   evidence   of   any   
chassis   or   structural   repairs   found   refer   diagram.   
-Shopping   type   dents/chips/scratches/marks   to   various   panels   -   Refer   diagram.   
Window   rubbers   have   sun   fading,   wiper   bolt   cover   is   missing   -   see   pictures.   
  • i30 crdi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Give it a miss, IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
After 5pm today I'm going to offer the guy 7.3k as is or 8.3k if he fixes it himself
  • i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I find if the auto trans sump/valve body cover has been removed and a standard gasket installed, they weep.

Apart from that I have no leaks in my 2008. The other thing to pay close attention to in these are the drive shaft boots in particular the inner joints and the longest shaft or Drivers side. I've found these become loose and grease weeps out past the  boot where the band clamp is.

If caught early, removing the shaft and having it serviced /  re clamped or even a new boot may save the shaft . Eventually under or high speed you can get  a bad vibration from the shaft.

Not quite sure what seal they mean, Torque converter seal? Maybe keep looking

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not getting a good feel about this one.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Not getting a good feel about this one.  :undecided:

:goodjob2: Dazz

From me too, give it the flick.

After 5pm today I'm going to offer the guy 7.3k as is or 8.3k if he fixes it himself

You still end up with a sow's ear.
Glad to see you have found a mechanic . Unlike your Stateroad Inspectors, he has a business to think about, therefore need returning customers. So he should look after you.

On servicing, the intermediate services are not necessary. 15,000km between services is fine.

There are SX i30s that are the same price with lower ks (55ks, and 88ks). Although it would be nice to have as low ks as possible, but I don't want to regret not getting a SLX with climate control and CC down the road. I feel that the extra features are a good trade off. As long as it has been serviced regularly I don't think I'll really be missing out on anything.

Sorry, that's  :wacko: Only advantage is that You can play with the CC & climate buttons while you wait for someone to come and tow your dog SLX.

In the past, How much joy has Climate Control given you as opposed to your experience with Air Con?

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Why not just try to find a Trophy model? You'll get alloys and cruise control? Then just buy the $20 audio control for the steering wheel, take the airbag off, plug in and you've now got audio controls.

All you'll miss out on is climate control. Which I really think is a waste of time. Manual controls do the job.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Unfortunately I can't find a trophy model however it would be nice. I didn't get that i30 I did the inspection on, I;m glad I didn't because alot of other cars have popped up since then. I have found this accent :link: 2011 accent active auto and I was wondering if it is worth going the extra money for the GD 6 spd? Would it be a better choice over a FD 4 speed i30? If I can get this car down a bit I might consider getting it because the cheapest i30 with a 6spd is a bit too far out of budget. I'm going to test drive it today.

I also have an offer for a 2011 corolla ascent hatch with 62ks+FSH for 9.2k (sorry I know it's an i30 forum).

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:34:32 by paleace »
  • i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Oh and they're 16" wheels not 17 as they say and current rego status is expeired 17 June , AD says Registered=yes

Build was 09.11.2009 so possibly first registered 2010,

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've had models with climate control and without.
My current one has manual air con.
There's not much difference and to be honest, I think the manual air con is better - easier to get the air/fan speed combination you want.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like that accent has gone, unless link dodgy. Corolla's are a bit boring but reliable. No problem mentioning other brands on here. Some of our best members now drive other brands. GD 6 speed is a little better and you may score a bit of warranty if you can stretch that far.

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Ok so I checked the accent today and unfortunately I made a mistake where I thought it was a 6 speed but it actually was a 4spd sports auto, the ad was wrong. It was advertised as having a D4FB engine with 94kw and 260nm @ 1900-2750, when it actually was a G4FC engine with 91kw and 156nm @4200rpm. Sadly I found this out when it was too late. I got the price down to 10.5k from 11.9k and put in a deposit in the knowledge that it had the advertised features. I'm going to get my deposit back before the 24 hour cooling off period.

I checked another hyundai i30 as well : :link: We've taken a wrong turn  I was really excited for this one as it looked immaculate and it was fairly low ks (58ks), the thing that concerned me the most was the colour of the transmission fluid which was very dark, almost black. It had done the 45k service 'as per hyundai lifetime capped price service program' and the last service was the 45kdone at 36ks in late 2015, so it hasn't been serviced since then. Might this be why the fluid might be black? I asked for receipts for the latest service to see if the transmission fluid had been changed and they didnt have it so they texted me the receipt, however I didn't see any transmission oil change, it only says 'inspect manual/auto transaxle oil condition. I'm suspecting that the fluid might not have even been changed since purchase. Would this matter too much?
  • i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Ok so I checked the accent today and unfortunately I made a mistake where I thought it was a 6 speed but it actually was a 4spd sports auto, the ad was wrong. It was advertised as having a D4FB engine with 94kw and 260nm @ 1900-2750, when it actually was a G4FC engine with 91kw and 156nm @4200rpm. Sadly I found this out when it was too late. I got the price down to 10.5k from 11.9k and put in a deposit in the knowledge that it had the advertised features. I'm going to get my deposit back before the 24 hour cooling off period.

I checked another hyundai i30 as well : :link: We've taken a wrong turn  I was really excited for this one as it looked immaculate and it was fairly low ks (58ks), the thing that concerned me the most was the colour of the transmission fluid which was very dark, almost black. It had done the 45k service 'as per hyundai lifetime capped price service program' and the last service was the 45kdone at 36ks in late 2015, so it hasn't been serviced since then. Might this be why the fluid might be black? I asked for receipts for the latest service to see if the transmission fluid had been changed and they didnt have it so they texted me the receipt, however I didn't see any transmission oil change, it only says 'inspect manual/auto transaxle oil condition. I'm suspecting that the fluid might not have even been changed since purchase. Would this matter too much?

Unlikely changed, could check the drain plug and see if it  has even been touched.

Not interested in that wagon I linked. Apart from not being a hatch it has everything you're after plus it will have reverse sensors too. Should have better resale, more leg room in the rear, power outlet in the back and has a more supple ride too than the hatch

I was wondering about that accent when I saw D4FB, Zupps ?

Offline paleace

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi tw2005, thank you for all your help. I'm only looking at the hatch versions of the i30 at the moment, I feel the wagon is a bit too big since only 1 person will be driving it all the time. I appreciate the offer though.
  • i30 crdi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi tw2005, thank you for all your help. I'm only looking at the hatch versions of the i30 at the moment, I feel the wagon is a bit too big since only 1 person will be driving it all the time. I appreciate the offer though.

No worries. A shame, they're not a lot bigger , greater flexibilty but hey, I got one of each and both are great + 3 extra bods to get around :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah Gerard is right. Basically the same car with a slightly more balanced stying in my opinion.  Definitely shouldn't rule the wagon out on the basis of size! :eek:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sory final words.

http://www.motoring.com.au/hyundai-i30-cw-14580/

"230mm longer than the hatch, with a slightly longer (2700mm compared to 2650mm) wheelbase and rear overhang (900mm v 720mm) delivering 415 litres of cargo space in the rear with the seats in place, or 1395 litres with the rear seats folded.
The wagon gains around 50kg over the hatch

Headroom was already generous in the hatch and the wagon is no exception, even if the additional space registers at sub-10mm (987mm compared to 980mm).

Most striking is the additional rear legroom for the wagon. It’s officially only 4 per cent extra at 926mm (i30 hatch is 890mm) but the spaciousness for rear occupants speaks volumes. Even with the front seats pushed all the way back there’s ample leg and foot room for rear passenger"

At first it’s difficult to discern you’re driving a wagon, instead of the worthy little i30 hatch, such is the controlled feel behind the wheel and connection between road and driver.

The wagon has the same steering quality as the hatch, despite the extra length and bulk, with a good ‘weighty’ feel but as we said in our launch review (more here), there’s little fluctuation in feedback throughout the reaches."

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The wagon also has the higher grade seat trim (rather than plain black).

The access to the rear is much better in the wagon imo making it easier to use for bigger items.

I would have a look at one before ruling them out.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The wagon also has the higher grade seat trim (rather than plain black).

The access to the rear is much better in the wagon imo making it easier to use for bigger items.

I would have a look at one before ruling them out.

Well that's kind of interesting because the trim in my hatch is black with apattern and I think better looking and durable than my Wagon which to me seems to be the same as the plain jane models.Also no SLX badging where my hatch has.

It's asif they had to trim a bit of cost out of it. Not complaining .

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal