i30 Owners Club

Telstra Velocity & NBN

John B · 40 · 9198

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi all, any one on Telstra velocity fibre cable that has had to change to NBN ? Have been told that the estate I live on with Velocity will eventually go to NBN. I have tried to find some info on all this and found it a bit confusing. tried to contact Telstra today and gave up after being on the phone for nearly an hour. I would like to know will I still able to use my landline phone and will I still be able to get free to air tv without having to put up an antenna? Do NBN use the cable that already goes to my house ? What happens to the Telstra ONT box, will that be changed. At the moment I am getting excellent speeds on a good plan with unlimited phone calls etc. Lots of questions I know but would be good to hear the results of someone that has been through it. I am at they age now where I hate change with the attitude if it ain't broke leave it alone. I think it will be a while before it  is changed. Cheers.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi,
Also in a T velocity estate, it appears that whilst Velocity & T NBN are both owned by T, they are seperate entities.
Recently saw a new VG deal for NBN/Phone combo, called into a T shopfront to swap over, but no, they can't access Velocity accounts & make any changes.

From what I know, it's all the same fibre cabling. I'm guessing that TV & phone get plugged into cabling @ local exchange. In our estate we have a ruling that external visible fixtures are not permitted to roof.

Also would like to know more about future of Velocity, but only contact is their 1800 number & we get to speak to some robot in an OS call centre. I've only heard rhumors of a need to swap to T NBN. Our estate is community title & under management by a very experienced company who would likely have a bit of weight in influencing any changes.
T also push deals that include Foxtel & that has FTA TV coming through it so I'd guess that if there was a need to swap Velocity to NBN then FTA TV could continue
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Telstra appear to have a policy where you can just transfer over from whatever you are on/paying, but they will try and convert you to a plan that suits them better. Stand your ground.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Have you plugged your address into nbnco.com.au to check for service to your house?

In my area there are existing cable lines everywhere, and there are telstra/foxtel and optus cable boxes on the outside of my house.  My area uses HFC for connection to the NBN. 

When I switched to NBN, all they did was give me a new  modem which connected to an existing internal telstra cable connection.  The modem is, in turn, connected to my router.

I believe that NBN tries to use whatever infrastructure is currently available in your area if it supports the speeds offered by NBN.  If cable is already strung up to a large percentage of houses in your area, I would be surprised if they don't just re-use it.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
THank's guys, @ Dazz, Have just swapped over to a 24 month new bundle plan called best bundle $99, 10000 Gb and unlimited phone calls to local, national & mobiles,it gives me exactly the same as my old plan but works out $40  a month cheaper.   It did state it was a nbn ready plan so hoping that if we go to nbn within the contract period it will stay the same. @ i30premy, same as you we are not allowed external visible features on the roof. Did have a text from Telstra confirming that we will have to change to nbn. Lots of info about nbn on the net but hard to get facts about changing from Telstra smart estates with velocity. Must admit have had a good run with velocity with excellent speeds. I suppose the good thing about nbn is you can have the isp of your choice.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Have you plugged your address into nbnco.com.au to check for service to your house?

In my area there are existing cable lines everywhere, and there are telstra/foxtel and optus cable boxes on the outside of my house.  My area uses HFC for connection to the NBN. 

When I switched to NBN, all they did was give me a new  modem which connected to an existing internal telstra cable connection.  The modem is, in turn, connected to my router.

I believe that NBN tries to use whatever infrastructure is currently available in your area if it supports the speeds offered by NBN.  If cable is already strung up to a large percentage of houses in your area, I would be surprised if they don't just re-use it.

Hi Tia, yes did that and it came up with other fibre connected, contact your supplier so I guess that is the way they will go. I  suppose the Telstra set up with the ont box would have to be changed though. It sounds like I could register now for nbn  but I will wait until there is a cut off date, might know a bit more about it then.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 00:21:01 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John, They should definitely let you stay on that plan. When the time comes and they contact you with offers just say you want to stay on the existing deal $99 p/m with existing arrangements and they will just send you an nbn compatible router.. Easy peasy.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi John, They should definitely let you stay on that plan. When the time comes and they contact you with offers just say you want to stay on the existing deal $99 p/m with existing arrangements and they will just send you an nbn compatible router.. Easy peasy.

Thanks Dazz, yes will stay on that plan unless they can knock another $40 off for a similar plan  :). I wonder if the router I have now will still suit,oh well time will tell. Hope yours works out well, be good if they can get the nbn cable to your front door. What ever way it sounds like it will be a big improvement for you speed wise etc.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi John ,
Some areas get the cable to the door,
but most will still use existing wires to connect to a "node" somewhere near you.
The nodes are painted an olive (?) green  and will be on the footpath not far from the old phone junctions.
Big push by telstra to sign up in our area, they can wait a while.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi John ,
Some areas get the cable to the door,
but most will still use existing wires to connect to a "node" somewhere near you.
The nodes are painted an olive (?) green  and will be on the footpath not far from the old phone junctions.
Big push by telstra to sign up in our area, they can wait a while.

Hi micked, already have fibre cable as I am on Telstra velocity. As I understand it NBN use the same cable . I am a bit concerned about the phone cable. A Telstra video shows them taking the existing cable from the wall socket to the phone and replacing it with one of their cables from the phone directly to the router. My router is in the hills hub in the garage,  to run a seperate cable to it is going to cause a problem. Still trying to get some sense out of Telstra to confirm this.No doubt if I have to run cable to the router that will cost me even though I will have no choice about changing to nbn.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Although I am a Velocity as well as Qantas Frequent Flyer, I'm on Belong NBN. :winker:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Although I am a Velocity as well as Qantas Frequent Flyer, I'm on Belong NBN. :winker:

Thanks Gonz, Not sure the velocity and Qantas Frequent Flyer will be turning over to the NBN  :lol: Interesting reading about the Belong NBN I will research it a bit more. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
When we built 6? years ago, it was Velocity or nothing. No other NBN providers were permitted access to T's Fibre here & there were no copper lines in the estate.

From our NTD were 4 cables - 2 x cat5? (1 for internet & 1 for phone), a coax for FTA TV & another for power from box in garage.
What I am attmpting to confirm, is if we change NBN providers, is the FTA TV signal still going to come through the NTD???

As for connecting up, there was a delay with my router & a helpful chap on the 1800 number guided me through plugging a laptop directly into the internet socket & I was up & running until router arrived.

We haven't had any contact indicating that we need to migrate from Velocity to NBN - actually there are better deals on T's NBN & I'll save $20?/month!

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
So do you still have a FTA TV signal coming through your NBN now that you are with another provider?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazz, yes will stay on that plan unless they can knock another $40 off for a similar plan  :). I wonder if the router I have now will still suit,oh well time will tell. Hope yours works out well, be good if they can get the nbn cable to your front door. What ever way it sounds like it will be a big improvement for you speed wise etc.

Unfortunately we are in a rural area John. The closest Node is about 500 metres down the road. I am hoping for a bit of an improvement in speed but not expecting miracles. If a bit slow apparently you get the option (at extra cost  :twisted: ) to get a boost. So basically they start us country "plebs" off with a hobbled system which they will unlock at a cost.  :fum:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
When we built 6? years ago, it was Velocity or nothing. No other NBN providers were permitted access to T's Fibre here & there were no copper lines in the estate.

From our NTD were 4 cables - 2 x cat5? (1 for internet & 1 for phone), a coax for FTA TV & another for power from box in garage.
What I am attmpting to confirm, is if we change NBN providers, is the FTA TV signal still going to come through the NTD???

As for connecting up, there was a delay with my router & a helpful chap on the 1800 number guided me through plugging a laptop directly into the internet socket & I was up & running until router arrived.

We haven't had any contact indicating that we need to migrate from Velocity to NBN - actually there are better deals on T's NBN & I'll save $20?/month!

That is a good question about the tv I would be very interested to find that out. As stated in earlier post I have just changed my Telstra bundle and I was told it is NBN ready and that all their new plans are. Saving $40 a month on my new plan called "Best Buys Plan"  :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Unfortunately we are in a rural area John. The closest Node is about 500 metres down the road. I am hoping for a bit of an improvement in speed but not expecting miracles. If a bit slow apparently you get the option (at extra cost  :twisted: ) to get a boost. So basically they start us country "plebs" off with a hobbled system which they will unlock at a cost.  :fum:

Yes  $20 extra  a month gives me 100 Mbps.  I am in a dual living situation with my daughter & Grandsons so we split the cost of Broadband and extra speed . Grandson loves the fast speed to play his games with, apparently it stops him getting killed so much  :rofl:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes  $20 extra  a month gives me 100 Mbps.  I am in a dual living situation with my daughter & Grandsons so we split the cost of Broadband and extra speed . Grandson loves the fast speed to play his games with, apparently it stops him getting killed so much  :rofl:

That's got to be a positive.  :D :snigger:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
We built 27 years ago and we'll have a node about 800 m away - worse than dazz  :eek: :crazy1:
Daughter & SIL , in wagga got cable to the door.   :crazy1:
Gotta pick a plan and a provider yet,.............

maybe I should just wait until the service stops   :lol:  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We built 27 years ago and we'll have a node about 800 m away - worse than dazz  :eek: :crazy1:

Bugger!  :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John, Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd piggyback off this one if that is ok?

Telstra said we would be switched over to the NBN between 7am and 2pm today. They said I had 7 days to swap over our router to the new one they sent me or it our internet would stop working. When I got home at 5.30 I found the net wasn't working at all and couldn't get the old router to go online. So I swapped over to the new one (F@st5355)

Good news: Even though I thought I could only connect it to the first entry point to the house, managed to get it working in my office on the other side of the house. Managed to get everything I've tried so far to connect via Wi-Fi and all our 6 phones (using a splitter)

Bad news: Only 2 ethernet connections (previously had 4)

Cant get NAS  drive access at the moment (Connected to 2nd ethernet point)

Speed is up to twice old (very slow) ADSL 2 but patchy (dropped to just over 4 mbps in another test)  :Pout:

If they can guarantee me a significant boost might pay up to $20 P/M more ...

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Dazz bit of a bummer with the speed. I pay the $20 for fast speed and that made quite a difference but I am still with Telstra velocity and looks like I maybe for some time. Happy to stay where it is and I am hoping that I never get NBN seeing every thing is working fine and I am also on a good plan. Hope it works out for you.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers John, I'll see how it goes over the next week once I have all our gadgets connected.  :sweating:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll have your upload speed Dazz but I wouldn't be impressed with the download you're getting :disapp:

This is mine on ADSL2 plus and we're not impressed compared to a few months ago we were getting 15Mbps download

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

For some reason it's a lot better this morning?

I would be very happy with this all the time, but I have a feeling it will be up and down!

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Fingers crossed that the speed stays at that :Good_luck: I thought the NBN sprouted that speeds would be high :disapp: Out of interest how do you post your speed test I have tried in the past with Imgur by downloading  the results and then using the browse on imgur but it ended up showing a page  with no results. :undecided: I can post photos etc ok with imgur.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:27:44 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks John, I used this link to do the test ..

:link: Speedtest.net by Ookla - 0-100 in NBN.

Then clicked on "try speedtest beta" up in left hand corner..

When the test finishes you get a message "share this test" next to the result.

I click on the first one (looks like a chain link in a circle) and select and copy the Forum one (4th one down) like this..

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
They're better results Dazz, hopefully it doesn't drop again and gets even better in the future :fingers:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal