i30 Owners Club

Here we go. Hyundai Kona introduced to the world!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
In terms of its physical size, the Kona measures 4165mm long, 1800mm wide and 1550mm tall, while the wheelbase stretches 2600mm.

While it's the same size as a CX-3, some perspective for i30 owners might be useful:

2008-2012 i30 FD Hatch:
4245mm long, 1775mm wide, 1480mm high, 2650mm wheelbase

2017 i30 PD Hatch:
4340mm long, 1795mm wide, 1455mm high, 2650mm wheelbase

It's shorter than a FD i30, about as wide as a PD and 95mm taller than the PD. I wonder what the increase in ride height/ground clearance is, or whether its all about the large wheel size and more aggressive body/trim look. SUVs are a hard to define category.

Looks like it'll be a nice vehicle though, and a good alternative for i30 owners wanting something in that style.
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Guys,

With the brave styling and two tone paint options they are taking a lead from the Toyota C-HR

With a punchier 1.6 (the Toyota's 1.2 turbo is a bit under done) this could be on our Radar.

All depends on boot size being adequate and the availability of Autonomous Cruise...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Guys,

With the brave styling and two tone paint options they are taking a lead from the Toyota C-HR

With a punchier 1.6 (the Toyota's 1.2 turbo is a bit under done) this could be on our Radar.

All depends on boot size being adequate and the availability of Autonomous Cruise...
Geez Dazz.
By the time you set your cruise control you'd be in Bass Strait.  :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Guys,

Geez Dazz.

Cheeky bugger!  :rofl:

I think I actually do more kilometres per year than you do mate!  :whistler:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Guys,

Geez Dazz.

True.
But I can actually drive several thousand kilometres in 3 directions without getting wet.   :rofl:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Looking good,
As much as we love our i30, we'll go SUV next time - makes it easier to get in & out.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Guys,

Geez Dazz.

True.
But I can actually drive several thousand kilometres in 3 directions without getting wet.   :rofl:
True!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I quite like the look of the Kona  :goodjob: after traveling halfway around Tasmania so far in a Mitsubishi ASX I'm fairly sure I'll be looking at the small SUV range when I change cars, the ASX has impressed me with it's handling and the extra height is nice for better road vision, though I'm not keen on the cheap looking interior plastics  :fum:

If I bought the Kona I'd have to colour code those wheel flares though, don't know what Hyundai were thinking there :head_butt: or why they dropped the power of the 1.6ltr turbo to 130kw down from 150kw :crazy1:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I quite like the look of the Kona  :goodjob: after traveling halfway around Tasmania so far in a Mitsubishi ASX I'm fairly sure I'll be looking at the small SUV range when I change cars, the ASX has impressed me with it's handling and the extra height is nice for better road vision, though I'm not keen on the cheap looking interior plastics  :fum:

If I bought the Kona I'd have to colour code those wheel flares though, don't know what Hyundai were thinking there :head_butt: or why they dropped the power of the 1.6ltr turbo to 130kw down from 150kw :crazy1:
We're thinking the same way as you.
We had an Outlander when we were in Tassie a couple of years back.
Recently, while waiting for the Kona details, I've been researching other small SUVs.
Our son has a CX3 which is pretty good but based on the Mazda 2 platform.
I've looked at the ASX and the Honda HR-V. However I'm a little put off by the fact that both are built in SE Asia not Japan. A surfing mate has a Peugeot 4008 (?) which apparently is a Mitsubishi rebadged and built in Asia. He's happy enough with it but not jumping up and down with joy either.

Hopefully we can hang on till early next year by which time the Kona will have been on the market long enough to have some deals going. Then I'll do up a short list and go talk to the boss at Pelican Motors  where we get our servicing done these days and ask his advice.

My biggest issue is still the electronic power steering. I don't like the repair (read "replacement") costs associated with it if some thing goes wrong. So it's an area I will need to have a serious thought about before we "jump".

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Recently, while waiting for the Kona details, I've been researching other small SUVs.
I've looked at the ASX and the Honda HR-V. However I'm a little put off by the fact that both are built in SE Asia not Japan. A surfing mate has a Peugeot 4008 (?) which apparently is a Mitsubishi rebadged and built in Asia. He's happy enough with it but not jumping up and down with joy either.

Hopefully we can hang on till early next year by which time the Kona will have been on the market long enough to have some deals going. Then I'll do up a short list and go talk to the boss at Pelican Motors  where we get our servicing done these days and ask his advice.

My biggest issue is still the electronic power steering. I don't like the repair (read "replacement") costs associated with it if some thing goes wrong. So it's an area I will need to have a serious thought about before we "jump".

Tuscan  ??

Rangers from Thailand for years now, big dollars and they are NOT trouble free , had them at work - will not buy one .

Electric water pumps, fans and EPS is becoming the norm and I as much as I've read post re EPS dramas,  is there one common fault or are there multiples ?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Tuscan  ??

Rangers from Thailand for years now, big dollars and they are NOT trouble free , had them at work - will not buy one .

Electric water pumps, fans and EPS is becoming the norm and I as much as I've read post re EPS dramas,  is there one common fault or are there multiples ?

What's a Tuscan

Re the EPS, yes there appears to be multiples. BUT only one fix. New unit. $$$$

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry,
Brain is mush today,  the Hyundai T ?????,  it repla ed ix35, next one down from Santa Fe .

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sorry,
Brain is mush today,  the Hyundai T ?????,  next one down from Santa Fe .
Tuscon.
Too big for what I want.
My son had a good look at them before he bought his CX3, but wanted something just a bit smaller.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
👍

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The CX3 is nice, but servicing more expensive, warranty only 3 years and boot space way too small.

This Kona ticks a lot of boxes for me. It looks like the boot will be bigger than the CX3 by a reasonable margin. My biggest concern is I'd probably opt for the 1.6 Turbo so the services would be every 7,500 or 10,000.

I'm not concerned with a Thailand build (for example) as Both Tiida and Civics built there have been fairly reliable.

Most cars have EPS now don't they? At least Hyundai has 5 years warranty.  :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Surferdude
Tuscon.

Over here it's the Tucson
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Quote from: Surferdude
Tuscon.

Over here it's the Tucson
Yep.
You pased the test. Well done.   :goodjob:

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Oh plastic trim, the plastic trim, so much of the plastic trim! Did I mention the plastic trim? There is a lot of plastic trim! Its plastic trim with a car attached to it!

Nah, not a fan of crossovers - my I30 does just fine on dirt trails, just keep the speed up so you don't get stuck in the mud, and y'all seen the pictures, mud goes all over the roof, no plastic trim nor mudguards gonna help.  :Drive:
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh plastic trim, the plastic trim, so much of the plastic trim! Did I mention the plastic trim? There is a lot of plastic trim! Its plastic trim with a car attached to it!

Nah, not a fan of crossovers - my I30 does just fine on dirt trails, just keep the speed up so you don't get stuck in the mud, and y'all seen the pictures, mud goes all over the roof, no plastic trim nor mudguards gonna help.  :Drive:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:brilliant:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nah, didn't see that? Maybe Trish got it. She doesn't hardly use her email.

Thanks, I'll check it out.  :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I got it too.
Registered my interest a while back.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I got it too.
Registered my interest a while back.

I just registered my interest too, using the link that Craig shared.

They aren't mentioning smart cruise or autonomous cruise anywhere at the moment. I hope they don't leave that out.

I also have a feeling they won't offer the diesel model in Australia which is a shame as I would have considered it on the basis of economy and service intervals.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The look is growing on me, I see it stealing sales from the i30, but I'm sure Hyundai would be fine with that. The finish looks very well polished

We bought our first SUV a New Santa Fe and the ride quality is unbelievable. It's so quiet and sits on the road like a tank. Such a beautiful SUV to drive.

I'm sure the Kona will definitely impress.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal