i30 Owners Club

How do you de-mist the windscreen?

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
I am having trouble trying to de-mist the windscreen on my i30, it just will not clear! I have tried blasting the air con on both hot and cold as well as in the middle, I have tried it on both recycling and in-taking air, and the de-fog button as opposed to the windscreen setting. I end up having to put the windows down but even that doesn't totally clear the windscreen. It's really annoying and dangerous!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I am having trouble trying to de-mist the windscreen on my i30, it just will not clear! I have tried blasting the air con on both hot and cold as well as in the middle, I have tried it on both recycling and in-taking air, and the de-fog button as opposed to the windscreen setting. I end up having to put the windows down but even that doesn't totally clear the windscreen. It's really annoying and dangerous!
Hi Queenbeth,
Obviously that shouldn't be happening. There are sure to be people who can make some suggestions as to how to resolve it.
But to make their job easier, can you tell us something about your car, like year make, model and maybe engine type/ size?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Beth,

Without going back to your previous posts, have you had the car from new? Sounds like it may have had some wet carpets at some stage? It's not like you are living in a cold damp climate.

My wife's Tourer (wagon) started fogging up a bit after a dealer wash which actually wet the seats and carpet a bit (dumb bu**ers must have left a window down) The demister still cleared the windows though. Since she left it outside with the windows open on a warmish day it has stopped fogging up now. She just used the heater with aircon (default setting when you switch to screen)

Hope that helps.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Does the aircon actually blow cold air when switched to cold? Just trying to work out if the dryer function is working (which it won't if the gas is low, or out)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Sounds strange to me. If it's hot air and using A/C which produces dry air , and it's blowing on the screen then I can't understand how it won't clear unless there's enough water inside the car to produce enough humidity for it not to keep up.

What's the screen like in the day time clean and clear?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good points above.
You seem to have had more moisture in the interior than is usual, and aircon without gas will not dry. The cooling process (actually the compression and expansion of the coolant gas) naturally dehumidifies as well, regardless of whether you combine it with hot or cold setting. This is why airlines give you water.
So a couple of things for you to check already. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is air actually coming out of the vents in front of the window?

If not then could be blocked or even the tubing not connected to the vents.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If your car is a few years old there are substances in the plastic that will leach out when heated during Summer. It appears as a film on glass and no amount of screen work will clear it. You will need to clean the inside of the glass with a specific glass cleaner which does not have detrimental effects on the rubber.

Someone here should have the correct bottle.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As others have suggested it is not a haze on the inside of the windscreen is it?

They can get quite hazy, especally if left parked in the sun.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
But to make their job easier, can you tell us something about your car, like year make, model and maybe engine type/ size?

Sorry, I haven't posted on this site many times, I'm a bit new to it! It's a 2014 Hyundai i30 1.8L petrol trophy manual I have had from new.

Without going back to your previous posts, have you had the car from new? Sounds like it may have had some wet carpets at some stage? It's not like you are living in a cold damp climate.

It hasn't gotten wet inside and I have had it from new as well as being located at the same address, same parking arrangements etc., but it has started to get quite cold in the mornings, it feels like a cold damp location at home, but not where I park at work, which is an undercover but not walled-in parking station (multi-level above ground and not walked in between levels, sorry such a bad description!!)

Does the aircon actually blow cold air when switched to cold? Just trying to work out if the dryer function is working (which it won't if the gas is low, or out)

Yes the aircon still works very well, the car is almost 3 years old, I haven't specifically had the aircon looked at but I have had the car regularly serviced, I even had the optional services between the scheduled ones done, the aircon was brilliant through the horrific summer we just had!

Sounds strange to me. If it's hot air and using A/C which produces dry air , and it's blowing on the screen then I can't understand how it won't clear unless there's enough water inside the car to produce enough humidity for it not to keep up.

What's the screen like in the day time clean and clear?

Up until the start of winter the screen was always crystal clear, and it still is when it's sunny and not so cold out, I feel like the screen is on such an acute slant that it makes it difficult for the air to distribute, I forgot to say I have also tried angling the visors to trap some air onto the top of the windscreen which sometimes helps a little to clear the top half but it's the bottom that I need to see through more that keeps misting up in circles above where the air is coming out, and it doesn't make any difference if I use hot or cold from the air con.

Is air actually coming out of the vents in front of the window?

If not then could be blocked or even the tubing not connected to the vents.

It seems to be, I can't feel it like I can on the face and feet settings but I can hear it, and as I mentioned just above, misty circles appear where the air vents are.

If your car is a few years old there are substances in the plastic that will leach out when heated during Summer. It appears as a film on glass and no amount of screen work will clear it. You will need to clean the inside of the glass with a specific glass cleaner which does not have detrimental effects on the rubber.

Someone here should have the correct bottle.

I have had the car from new, 3 years in September, it's not garaged at home but is under a carport, and undercover during the day in a parking station. The Mazda I had for 10 years prior to having this car was not always housed so well and I never had any problems with it, I'd hope production quality hasn't diminished so dramatically! Also it's not there all the time, it's mist rather than a milky film.

As others have suggested it is not a haze on the inside of the windscreen is it?

They can get quite hazy, especally if left parked in the sun.

While I won't say it's never been parked in the sun I will say it's been undercover for a much greater time than it's been in the sun. It's just been there in the mornings since it started getting cold and in the 20-30 minute drive to work it doesn't dissipate.

I'm really feeling like it could be due to the angle of the windscreen, at least in part, I will be due for a service in September but I think I will take it early and ask them about it.

Cheers for all your comments and suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:34:13 by Shambles »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
misty circles appear where the air vents are. ?

Is it raining when you have this effect?

Or is it purely cold weather and you need the demister?

Have you put the wipers on and th misty circles still there?

Could the misty circles be on the outside  from the glass being too cold from the A/C causing condensation to form?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@QueenBeth69

I just had a thought which could help. Get some anti fogging stuff. There used to be one called Monte Cristo which was like a crayon you scribbled on the glass and then rubbed it with a cloth, but I'm sure there are probably spray on products now available at car accessory places. Still think there must be a moisture issue somehow as only a few complain about this happening.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hang on. The car is three years old and it's only just started happening, so it's not the windscreen angle. Something isn't right in the vent system. We have members all over the world, even in cold places like Scandinavia (and Tassie). If it was the windscreen angle there'd be complaints everywhere.
Definitely worth getting the dealer to look at it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Given your reply i would be checking that the vents are throwing out air at each speed setting as from your reply it would appear they are not.

On my car when on the the fastest it makes a right loud noise plus if you put hand by vent air is forceful....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
misty circles appear where the air vents are. ?

Is it raining when you have this effect?

Or is it purely cold weather and you need the demister?

Have you put the wipers on and th misty circles still there?

Could the misty circles be on the outside  from the glass being too cold from the A/C causing condensation to form?

It's not when it's raining as such, it's early in the morning when it's cold so it may be raining too but it does't have to be raining and it's definitely on the inside as I put the wipers on to get the outside dew off, so yes, it;s just cold and I need to get the mist off. The circles actually seem to come more when I wipe, maybe because of the temperature difference between the inside air and outside water? So if anything it could be the circles on the inside forming condensation. When I first use the wipers the air wouldn't have warmed up very much so the air would be blowing cold.

@QueenBeth69

I just had a thought which could help. Get some anti fogging stuff. There used to be one called Monte Cristo which was like a crayon you scribbled on the glass and then rubbed it with a cloth, but I'm sure there are probably spray on products now available at car accessory places. Still think there must be a moisture issue somehow as only a few complain about this happening.

I think some sort of anti-fog cleaner on the inside is a great idea, I will look for the Monte Cristo or something similar.

Hang on. The car is three years old and it's only just started happening, so it's not the windscreen angle. Something isn't right in the vent system. We have members all over the world, even in cold places like Scandinavia (and Tassie). If it was the windscreen angle there'd be complaints everywhere.
Definitely worth getting the dealer to look at it.

I just realised too that there has been a change, my work day starts a lot earlier than it used to, I would have left a few hours later in the day and the dew and night air would have dried up by the time I used to leave. I do however think that there is something odd that the car's windscreen can demist in Scandinavia but not Australia!

Given your reply i would be checking that the vents are throwing out air at each speed setting as from your reply it would appear they are not.

On my car when on the the fastest it makes a right loud noise plus if you put hand by vent air is forceful....

It is noisy, I don't think it's the air con.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This is what you need (or something similar) There are several alternatives under the Rain-x product as well.

:link: Rain-X Interior Glass Anti-Fog - 103mL - Supercheap Auto

These wipes might be more convenient.

:link: Armor All Anti-Fog Wipes - 20 Pack - Supercheap Auto

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
TBH I wouldn't be applying any demisting products until the problem is sorted.
I remain confident that the problem lies somewhere in the system, not the windscreen or the time of day.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
IOf you use the AC at other times, condensate will collect on the fins inside the car and on next start up the condensate can re-form on the glass.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
So far, this thread is very mystifying.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Close...More like Mist defying  :whistler:

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
This is what you need (or something similar) There are several alternatives under the Rain-x product as well.

I went into Supercheap Auto yesterday and found 3 interior glass anti-fog products, I enquired at the counter if they had one they would recommend, I got a unanimous chorus of "THAT ONE!!!" which was the liquid Rain-X. I agree that the wipes would probably have been much more convenient (that was what I first picked up and was going to get), but I thought I should see if the salespeople had a recommendation. This worked a treat! The only fog I got this morning was on the spots I had missed when applying it! It was amazing and a relief!

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions, it's really nice to be on a public forum where not one single person makes a nasty comment!  :razz:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:53:50 by tw2005 »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Did you do training at the Gonz Institute of Oratory  :spitty:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions, it's really nice to be on a public forum where not one single person makes a nasty comment!  :razz:

That's later when we get bored :whistler: (I had a near miss with the admin rights ....again)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Did you do training at the Gonz Institute of Oratory  :spitty:

We go back a long way.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@QueenBeth69

Awesome! Great to hear. We don't have many active female members on the club, so was keen to make sure you stayed safe!

Driving with a frosted windscreen is scary! :sweating:

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Years ago the Vauxhall Astras used to get misting of the Windows it was put down to a very dirty and wet air filter. Thought I would add a little to the post.
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Just off the subject when can I get out of 2 gear it's costing me a fortune in diesel. Plus I am on the pension. Will have to use my bus pass a lot more. Ha ha. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
@QueenBeth69
Awesome! Great to hear. We don't have many active female members on the club, so was keen to make sure you stayed safe!

Thank you!! I will try to be more active, it's really great to be able to access helpful suggestions and advice.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Just off the subject when can I get out of 2 gear it's costing me a fortune in diesel. Plus I am on the pension. Will have to use my bus pass a lot more. Ha ha. :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

:rofl:
@Shambles, when does 3rd gear kick in?

• Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal