i30 Owners Club

i30 diesel 2009 transmission/gearbox issue relearn

Offline Marky2k

• 1st Gear

• Australia
Hi all,

I just want to contribute something about my experience on my i30. Every time that my battery get disconnected my transmission always plays up. at first instance my transmission fails to move up to the next gear and over revs. I called my mechanic and he program the transmission/gearbox and the problem was rectified. 2nd instance I was replacing my head light bulb and  I disconnected the battery and again the transmission played up this time my car was not moving on drive or reverse so we need to tow the car to my mechanic shop. he did the relearn program on the transmission/gearbox again and the problem was rectified.

does anyone having the same issues on their transmission/gearbox when you removed you battery. I am now thinking of trading of or selling my i30 because of this issue.

• I30 diesel 2009

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome. I don't recall that issue ever being mentioned on here before. We often suggest disconnecting the battery to fix problems.  Seems a bit odd. Our 2 x FD model i30's were both manuals. Be interesting to hear feedback from auto owners...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Clearly can't be normal. I have not had any major dramas with mine. Now with my Mitsubishi Magna it generally dumped it's  calibration and get some funny shifts and flaring until it relearnt.

Iknow the box is loosely based on a Mitsubishi design and potentially the logic for the box as well. Can't help but wonder if the symptoms are signs of Valve body wear and the battery disconnection is exaggerating the fault.

What sort of K's and has the transmission fluid ever been flushed?

what does the mechanic do to "relearn " the computer?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Agree with Gerard, :goodjob2: something is wrong here.
 There is a relearn procedure to maximise auto performance on the GD model. Obviously, if disconnecting the battery caused a transmission shut down there would be abandoned i30s clogging the driveway of every battery exchange.

So, what has your mechanic been doing? Did he bother to disconnect the battery after the relearn, to see if the problem reoccurred?
If he did not check that , I suggest you find a new genius.
I suspect you have a software glitch or computer hardware fault.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal