Short drive of PD Active 2.0 petrol Auto by Dazzler

Dazzler · 7 · 18827

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
While I was testing out aftermarket front sensors on a new PD Active (Aussie base model) today, I thought I would do a mini review.

I only did around 20 Kilometres but made sure I drove it on the same roads as where I first tested my SR, a 2017 Subaru Impreza and several other vehicles recently (including a Toyota C-HR)

Most of my observations are in comparison with my SR 1.6 Turbo.

The Active now has a 2.0 GDi petrol motor. 120kw at 6200 RPM + 203 NM of Torque at 4700 RPM.

As these figures would suggest, even with a 6 speed Automatic transmission there is plenty of go for a base model! I actually got a bit of a shock. Seemed light years ahead of the 1.8 petrol GD auto which Trish recently had as a loaner.

Transmission changes quick and smooth. Brakes didn't feel as strong as my larger SR ones (but still ok)

Typical i30 "big/solid" car feel. Feels very tight and safe. Bit more body roll than SR but steering feel still good and an improvement on previous models.

The ride was a bit nicer than my SR (more compliant / less firm) and it seemed a little quieter with regards to road noise too. Explained by the narrower higher profile tyres I guess.

Interior was a little bland after my "snazzy" SR, but seats still comfortable and a nice place to be.

Negatives:

Unlike my SR, active doesn't appear to confirm the Cruise Control speed selected. Because it isn't smart cruise it isn't as good at holding speed up and down either. In a dip where my SR will stay between 58 and 62 kph the active swung from 55 to 65 kph.

Console much more basic with no cover over the bin where the power outlets and USB port is. Only a conventional handbrake. I now prefer an electronic one.

Had smart entry and push button start in last 4 cars, so don't really like reverting to a key.  :-[

Interestingly (see pictures below) I get storage pockets on either side of my boot in SR whereas Active doesn't. Forgot to look, but think Active might get storage under the boot floor.

Pretty nice wheels for a base model.

Seats fairly comfortable.

Prefer the highlights in my SR (interior a bit dark and plain, but found plastic wheel still ok. not as bad as some reviewers made it out to be.

Active has no storage pockets in side of boot.

SR boot has side storage pockets in boot.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Good summary @Dazzler.  I first drove an active back when they first arrived at the dealers.  I was walking passed, and there it was, so took it for a spin.  I was very impressed.  It was way ahead of the GD Premium, I thought, and packed with lots of features.  I was first to have a drive at that dealer.  They didn't even have brochures at that stage.  The 2.0 motor and the 6 speed auto are very well matched.  It was a week later that Sue and I drove the SR Premium at our local dealer.  She fell in love with it straight away.  For you, stepping back to the Active, you'd really notice the differences whereas they weren't as obvious to me.

Still, overall, the base Active is a great car compared to the FD and GD base models.

Bob
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The storage area looks the same to me Dazz :confused: though yours has a boot liner.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The storage area looks the same to me Dazz :confused: though yours has a boot liner.

There is a nook there but no depth. So things could move around. The SR pockets are actually a few inches deep - very handy. I took a heap of stuff out before taking the photo. My boot liner is a cut down version of what I had in the Calais (flat, no sides)  :cool:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The nooks are similar to what's in mine but I've got extra storage on both sides hidden in the raised floor where I store the cargo net - spare bulbs - tools and such.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The nooks are similar to what's in mine but I've got extra storage on both sides hidden in the raised floor where I store the cargo net - spare bulbs - tools and such.
Wow 4am! I slept in until about 5

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Wow 4am! I slept in until about 5
Was a very late one for me, they put the two Sam Rami, Evil Dead remakes on tv so I had to watch them while I was dealing with a moron on the Avast forum  :mad: :disapp: :head_butt:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal