Tyres

eye30 · 37 · 10634

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Checking the tyre pressure today i noticed the two front tyres are just above the minimum, would say 1.8/2mm or thereabouts.

The tyres are the original hankook 195/65 r15 h rated kinergy eco r425's.

As we are moving towards the bad weather, not that the summer has been great!! I'll be replacing soon so was wondering what others have decided when replacing if they have the same.

Have you replaced like with like or bought different brand..

Checking the web sites for the tyre they show b rate for fuel, b for wet and 69db

I've no complaint about the brand/tyre as they have held the road well, not much noise on road but saying that depending on road finish some roads slightly noisier! And a good ride..

View welcome as always............

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I went to Costco Lester (other stores are available) and changed all four to Cross Climates cheaper than the tyre places hereabouts...   Then within six months let the car go Aaaaaarrrggghhhh. wadda dope  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

I was very happy with the Cross Climates and there was a SLIGHT noise reduction  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I get the impression you don't do a lot of driving Lester. Mainly shorter runs? If you are only changing two, I would stick with the same brand (hate seeing mixed tyres on a car). Just shop around for the best price. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I get the impression you don't do a lot of driving Lester. Mainly shorter runs? If you are only changing two, I would stick with the same brand (hate seeing mixed tyres on a car). Just shop around for the best price. :cool:
Yes just turned 20,000 miles in just over 5 years....

No commuting just to shops and the odd burst along the motorway for days out......

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree with Dazz.
If you've been happy with them, don't change.
Although they may have been superceded.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
As the old advertising slogan went:
"When you're on a good thing, stick to it !"
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
not much noise on road

Thats because you only did 20,000 miles in just over 5 years  :cool:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
not much noise on road
Not much road :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Pull the spare out and buy one.....If the pattern has changed find a similar wreck and buy the new spare out of that.

Otherwise given your lack of km I would be tempted to rotate them and not worry about it for a year or so.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Pull the spare out and buy one.....If the pattern has changed find a similar wreck and buy the new spare out of that.

Otherwise given your lack of km I would be tempted to rotate them and not worry about it for a year or so.
Unfortunately the spare is a space saver.

Can't rotate as although they are still legal, greater than 1.6mm, i expect they will be below that minimum soon'ish.

Also, i read that drivers think the tyres with more tread should be on the drive wheels, i.e. front for the i30 as fwd, but in fact the rear should have the deeper tread.
So in my situation the rear will be circa 1.8mm and front 4.5mm which if the article is correct may cause the car to loose rear end grip.

Checking internet the same tyre is available with same pattern.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Unfortunately the spare is a space saver.

Can't rotate as although they are still legal, greater than 1.6mm, i expect they will be below that minimum soon'ish.

Also, i read that drivers think the tyres with more tread should be on the drive wheels, i.e. front for the i30 as fwd, but in fact the rear should have the deeper tread.
So in my situation the rear will be circa 1.8mm and front 4.5mm which if the article is correct may cause the car to loose rear end grip.

We've had this discussion on here before.

It was always the policy that front tyres should have the best tread on the basis that they do your steering and if one is subject to a blowout or puncture (both more likely if the tread is almost gone), then it's better to have that happen on the back.

HOWEVER, somewhere along the way, it was decided by do-gooders and "experts" that it was better in an emergency to have understeer rather than oversteer so the position was reversed. That has become ensconced in the advice from all tyre companies now.

So, you are correct in your assumption.

BUT. I can assure you that most tyre experienced and thinking fitters will still prefer to fit the best tyres on the front.

My preference is certainly to have the best on the front for the following reasons.

1/ You don't want a blowout or flat to happen on the front.
2/ The better tread on the front allows more positive steering.
3/ Putting a lower tread depth on the front will increase (significantly) your chances of aquaplaning (or a brake lock up if you don't have anti-lock braking.

But those are just my own opinions and observations.

And probably the best option is to rotate your tyres so all four reach replacement depth at about the same time and put four new ones on.
Of course, then some people say, "I can't afford to replace all four at once". But if you rotate sensibly your tyres will last longer and you'll have more time to save for replacements.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I used to follow the notion of best tires on driving wheels, I used to drive rwd cars. My first winter in a fwd, I had the best tires up front and ended up on a patch of black ice.

Long story short, the car flipped and the rear end dug into a snowbank on the opposite side of the road. A local helped me tow the car up(no damage thanks to lots of snow). Rotated them as soon as I got back home, if there is any chance of all four loosing grip you want the best on rear, last thing you want is the car flipping into oncoming traffic.

Now, surferdudes points are very valid, and I usually run the best tires up front(on fwd) in the summer(to balance wear on them so I can replace all four at the same time), since the risks are different from in the winter(which i replace all four when the first tire gets to 3mm or starts loosing grip).

With 4.5mm left, I would only buy two new ones, because winter is coming I would put them on the rear. If your happy with the brand you got, no point in changing unless you want a tire better suited for the wet climate.

Im replacing my 4 summer tires before next season and leaning towards either nokian hakka green2 or goodyear efficentgrip preformance.

• Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Worth a read

Better Tyres In The Front Or Rear? Test Results

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/better-tyres-in-the-front-or-rear-test-results

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Worth a read

:link: Better Tyres In The Front Or Rear? Test Results » Oponeo.co.uk

Now just let me be clear on this Lester, we are talking about your bicycle here aren't we  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Worth a read

My conclusion after reading that and hearing Trevor's feedback is to do what I have always done in the past. Rotate tyres regularly so they all wear at a similar rate, then replace all four at once or trade it on another car.  :victory:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Worth a read

Now just let me be clear on this Lester, we are talking about your bicycle here aren't we  :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:
Tyre on that are slicks

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

or trade it on another car.  :victory:

From reading the list of cars you have had seems you DO that anyway

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
lester, the solution is move to Australia ! get full wear from your tyres.
plus you will have twice as much $ when you change over. :mrgreen:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

BUT. I can assure you that most tyre experienced and thinking fitters will still prefer to fit the best tyres on the front.

My preference is certainly to have the best on the front for the following reasons.

1/ You don't want a blowout or flat to happen on the front.
2/ The better tread on the front allows more positive steering.
3/ Putting a lower tread depth on the front will increase (significantly) your chances of aquaplaning (or a brake lock up if you don't have anti-lock braking.

But those are just my own opinions and observations.

And probably the best option is to rotate your tyres so all four reach replacement depth at about the same time and put four new ones on.
Of course, then some people say, "I can't afford to replace all four at once". But if you rotate sensibly your tyres will last longer and you'll have more time to save for replacements.

Mate I'm with you on all points.
First, you don't want crap tyres on front or back, so rotate then change them before you are forced to.
Second, if I loose traction or need to avoid and obstacle , I will be relying on my front wheels to steer me out of trouble.
Third, under normal driving conditions, irrespective of FWD or RWD, the front tyres wear the fastest , this must testify to the amount of work they are required to do.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
These seem to be taking forever. I look forward test driving them someday and seeing how they can turn a potentially very longlasting and economical idea into another pricegouging scheme.

:link: Airless Tires | Bridgestone Tires
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm thinking the extra rubber required would be a cost issue they would have to work around.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I'm thinking Winter in the OUTBACK.  No air pressure inside, one small cut in the rubber and in goes mud and water to stick to those spokes.  :happydance:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:28:08 by nzenigma »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok been to local tyre dealers and they say both are still ok for a few tho miles more!

Depth checked and nsf = 2.5mm, osf = 3/3.5mm.

They did say the nsf shoulders, inside and outside have worn evenly but alot more than the osf.

They said that the rule of 75% of tyre width at 1.6mm is covered but to keep an eye on them as once the width rule reduces then they are illegal.

As why the nsf has worn more than osf and he said roundabouts!

This has been mentioned in a recent post on here re tyre wear and googling it, it also is a valid cause of nsf wear.

Well i never..........poor old zebedee

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

You were one of the young 'uns glued to the box watching Magic Roundabout then - were you?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

You were one of the young 'uns glued to the box watching Magic Roundabout then - were you?
Given what he/they got up to .....  thought they were on magic mushroom   

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
talking of tyres my recent purchase with 7900 miles on the clock manufacture date 12/15 registered 09/16 has michelin energy saver tyres fitted yet i recieved all the original documentation when I purchased the vehicle and that came with the warranty documentation for Hankook tyres, which is somewhat confusing and needless to say very worrying have I brought a pup.
  • i30 se nav

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
talking of tyres my recent purchase with 7900 miles on the clock manufacture date 12/15 registered 09/16 has michelin energy saver tyres fitted yet i recieved all the original documentation when I purchased the vehicle and that came with the warranty documentation for Hankook tyres, which is somewhat confusing and needless to say very worrying have I brought a pup.
The original owner probably just upgraded the tyres at the time of purchase. Might have not liked Hankook.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
@rfa  The michelins you got have better markings and reviews across the board than the old hankooks that would have been fitted. Those michelins are a top contender for when mine need replacing in march. Behappy the previous owner had the hankooks replaced for you!

How do you like the michelins? Tail end stability? Comfort? Noise? Traction?
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Recently had the two fronts (OEM Hankooks) replaced with Bridgestone T001 Turanza Evo ("Evo" denoting the revised version with better ratings than the Turanza). Happy with these so far and they appear to have better grip than the Hankooks. Already done over a thousand miles.

I considered the Dunlop Sport BluResponse but reviews suggested their wear rate was high.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Recently had the two fronts (OEM Hankooks) replaced with Bridgestone T001 Turanza Evo ("Evo" denoting the revised version with better ratings than the Turanza). Happy with these so far and they appear to have better grip than the Hankooks. Already done over a thousand miles.

I considered the Dunlop Sport BluResponse but reviews suggested their wear rate was high.

Hi mate, thanks for that. I am guessing they are quieter?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal