i30 Owners Club

new highway patrol cars

Lakes · 57 · 16545

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well I just noted yesterday was still two falcon highway patrol car patrolling the highway. I wonder how long till they get replaced and what will they use?
like it's been a year or more since ford Australia closed ( and now holden )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
well I just noted yesterday was still two falcon highway patrol car patrolling the highway. I wonder how long till they get replaced and what will they use?
like it's been a year or more since ford Australia closed ( and now holden )

They'll disappear soon enough. They use mainly unmarked 3.6 litre Liberty Sedans down here at the moment.

Penty of alternatives being assesed and mentioned on here including the obvious ones, Stinger, Mustang, etc..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Victoria will be using diesel BMW 530d sedans for highway patrol: VicPol new highway patrol cars
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Should make for an interesting time at ex-cop auctions in the future.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I know others have said we won't get mustangs but, there is a lot of mustangs on the road here, not many bmw 530d, so I think too easy to spot. they set them up here, to be hard to spot coming at you, if you see the rear or the side easy to tell, not so head on.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thank's beerman, they will be too easy to spot coming at you, if revenue drops ....
but with the new rules in supercars, I suppose anything can race now as holden or red bull going to run twin turbo. I think with out v8's it will be like the bad days when the great Peter Brock had to race a ford as rules did not favour v8's. the interest from public dropped too.it's always been the two Aussie made cars that had American v8's. stinger looks more like a sportscar not a family sedan.
hope I never get stung by a stinger!!
one requirement of nsw police that other states don't have is the brakes, have to have brembo as they do high speed brake testing before the cars pass to be use in this state, think mustang has them as opption also must have full size spare and inflater.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 19:54:26 by Lakes »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
In the comment section: "seems pretty ironic that a Beerman should be producing police cars"
 :rofl:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Should make for an interesting time at ex-cop auctions in the future.

be interesting to see what prices the current, holden and falcon chaser's bring as will be the last of the long line.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
In todays daily telegraph ( sydney news paper )
Has a write up on the KIA Stinger & it looks like a worthy repla ement. I did not know it was a four door.
Will depend on what brakes it uses as NSW chassers have a very tough brake test before a car can be used for high speed by them. Will need the best Brembo make nothing less!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well seen the first new non holden non ford chaser and it's on work duty, catching speedsters in nsw. one requirement nsw has other states don't is we have high speed brake tests to meet if the cars brakes start to fade they can't be used for high speed in this state. they have brakes like the v8 supercars. so what do you think we are using now?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

well seen the first new non holden non ford chaser and it's on work duty, catching speedsters in nsw. one requirement nsw has other states don't is we have high speed brake tests to meet if the cars brakes start to fade they can't be used for high speed in this state. they have brakes like the v8 supercars. so what do you think we are using now?

BMW or Merc?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

BMW or Merc?

no to both, keep trying

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

BMW or Merc?

no to both, keep trying

Stinger or 300c?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

BMW or Merc?

no to both, keep trying

Stinger or 300c?

no to both, keep trying.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
seen a Volvo highway patrol working in south coast.
but a truck told me they have also been testing Volvo up the north coast for over a month now. but think still testing.
one thing you notice in nsw is you can't tell a highway patrol when it is facing you, they look like any other white holden or falcon, so they need something that won't stand out too easy.

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Remember my first one well. Austin Westminster in white like sitting in an armchair at home.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
There's a Santa Fe doing the rounds around Camden. It replaced a Pajero.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... a truck told me ...
Was it this one?

ns

:lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
... a truck told me ...
Was it this one?

ns

:lol:

lol gonz bloody yank Mac does not know what a trucky is so changed to truck

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, Apple tech, say no more. :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
There's a Santa Fe doing the rounds around Camden. It replaced a Pajero.

well mick must be general duty, not chaser, but as I found out many years back when a mounted police chased a van I was driving down circular quay, on a horse I think it Wass an ex race horse and it went flat out ha ha, the pat of quay I was driving in was closed to traffic only bus's allowed but I had permission, cop did not know that, so was a new experience for me, once in a lifetime. lol

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Saw a Volvo police car in Canberra two weeks ago chase down someone...... so John , is it a Volvo or the Camry V6....?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 14:29:37 by neptune »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

More on the subject of our new police vehicles :link: Could Camry V6 outrun an SS?

They use a few marked Hybrid Camrys down here already. The new one coming is going to be nearly as quick as the V6 and could possibly be my next car!  :whistler: ( couple of years away - of course...)  :winker:

:link: 2018 Toyota Camry - Price And Features For Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Saw a Volvo police car in Canberra two weeks ago chase down someone...... so John , is it a Volvo or the Camry V6....?
hey nep Canberra federal police they have nothing to do with nsw highway patrol also they have different laws, different registration rules too.this was a Volvo they probably set up brakes like the Volvo scotty raced before he went to falcon. don't think a v6 camery has a chance here this is where the action is!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Qld ditched Toyota.....Too expensive apparantly. Hyundai was happy to sharpen the pencil. 

I am told that the Stinger has been marked up and isn't far from hitting the road.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Qld ditched Toyota.....Too expensive apparantly. Hyundai was happy to sharpen the pencil. 

I am told that the Stinger has been marked up and isn't far from hitting the road.
I don't think Queensland chase crooks, I could be wrong, thats one reason nsw have tough testing the brakes have to work when driven hard at high speed, if you drove most cars on a race trace at high speed you would have no brakes, they get too hot and fade off.
but our cops use brakes like race cars so the cars they use for highway patrol need the best brakes not the crap production cars come with.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers for that mate! Seen a couple in the flesh now. Mid Blue and dark blue. they look really good in the flesh, especially from the rear 3/4 angle.  :victory:

THis is interesting though...

“The Si, GT Line and GT variants marketed in Australia, and all New Zealand Stinger variants are well-equipped and have earnt the maximum 5 star ANCAP safety rating.

“Unfortunately two Stinger variants offered as part of the Australian model line-up – the 200S and 330S – are supplied without the active safety aids provided in other variants and score 3 stars.”

An ANCAP press release goes onto detail the absence of automated emergency braking and lane keep assist in the 200S and 330S models, omissions which resulted in those cars’ ‘Safety Assist’ scores reduced by 25 per cent.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/kia-stinger-dealt-three-star-safety-rating-110203/

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal