i30 Owners Club

2010 1.6 CRDi CW Instrument Panel LCD Flickering

arty30 · 8 · 4289

Offline arty30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk Midlands
Hi, bought my i30 secondhand a couple of years ago and the dealer explained that the instrument panel had been changed so the car's actual mileage was more than that shown od the display. It had been changed by Hyundai dealer and recorded in the service record book.
It was a bit of a shock when a few weeks ago it started flickering again.
Although out of Hyundai warranty I took the car to my local dealer hoping that, as it seems to be a known problem, there may be something they could do. I shouldn't have waisted my time - no help there !
I gave some thought to the issue and the fact that LCD panels use very little current so oxidised connectors maybe a problem. Then I thought about the Instrument dimmer control and how it works. Unlike days of old when it was just a variable resistor I guess the control supplies a variable voltage to the instrument panel so if there is probably an earth on the control and it goes high resistance because of poor contact the output would flick between controlled and full voltage.
Anyway by removing the fuse panel cover at the end of the dash when the drivers door is open you can get your fingers to the connectors of the dimmer control. With LCD on and flickering I pushed and fiddled with the dimmer control connectors and the LCD stopped flickering and has been fine for the last few weeks ( fingers crossed !! )
  • 2010 FD 1.6 CRDi CW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: "Arty" thanks for that. Well done, nice bit of lateral thinking.  :victory:

:fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So is it just a replacement dimmer control need after all and not the panel i wonder.... must be something hy hq need to investigate......
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day Arty,

:i30:

Good work.  Wonder if that was the problem originally?  ? Hope  not .  :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline ABSi30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      The great Co. Durham.
Hi Arty I am having the same problem with the flickering on dash. Is there any chance you can include photo of the dimmer unit location please inside the fuse box on dash end. Many thanks.
  • 2011 Comfort. 5door diesel 1.6 CRDi auto White.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi ABS,
open drivers door fully,  on edge of dash there is a fuse panel. Remove cover, stick fingers in gap between the fuse panel and end of dash . Good luck.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a great approach. Solid state electronics are far less prone to outright failure but they can't escape the real world of heat variations, vibration, oxidation, dust, etc, which means that connectors, both between components and cables, are always a great place to start. Congrats, @arty30  :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline arty30

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Uk Midlands
Thanks guys

Just one other further thought - if your model doesn't have a dimmer control for the dash I think I read somewhere that the blanking panel has a built in jumper link to take the power to the dash so if you've got the flickering problem its probably still worth having a fiddle with the connectors on the back side of the blanking panel.
  • 2010 FD 1.6 CRDi CW

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal