i30 Owners Club

Idle when starting when its cold

Zulliz · 9 · 4799

Offline Zulliz

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Hi guys i have a question since its  been less than 3  degrees celsius here my car starts with idle rpm around 700 and after a couple of seconds goes up to the normal 1000rpm,is this normal when cold? Cant remember if it did it last year :)
  • Hyundai i30 1,6 CRDi 90 Classic CW ISG 5d

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If it's only a couple of seconds, at that temperature, I wouldn't worry if it was Firty doing that, but that's just me. If it started taking longer than that, say, into the time you need to put it in gear and move, then it would become significant, to my thinking. Once it reaches its normal temperature, maybe in 5 minutes time, I would expect your idle to be around 800 if it's like mine.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think you have a dead glow plug. If dead on one cylinder it wont fire until warm enough
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Zulliz

• 1st Gear

• dk Denmark
Yeah i was thinking it could be that, ill wait till it fails completely or replace it before next winter, only experienced dead glowplugs on my fathers car some years ago, and that wouldnt start at all, luckily it wasnt hard to replace them and im assuming its the same on the hyundai  :)
  • Hyundai i30 1,6 CRDi 90 Classic CW ISG 5d

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Why wait......... should be a quick fix and then if it behaves as it should......sorted.

If not, then further investigation required..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Yeah i was thinking it could be that, ill wait till it fails completely or replace it before next winter, only experienced dead glowplugs on my fathers car some years ago, and that wouldnt start at all, luckily it wasnt hard to replace them and im assuming its the same on the hyundai  :)

No, it's not difficult to change them as long as the plugs will come off the cylinder head..  :mrgreen:

Since I'm not your wife I won't tell you what to do, but why wait till they are all dead..? The day the car won't start is the day you need it the most..  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

No, it's not difficult to change them as long as the plugs will come off the cylinder head..  :mrgreen:

Since I'm not your wife I won't tell you what to do, but why wait till they are all dead..? The day the car won't start is the day you need it the most..  :mrgreen:

And that they say is "Murphy's Law ".
Put it off and it will bite you on the bum. So will your wife   :lol:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yeah, but you never know, he might like that sort of stuff!  :crazy1: :evil:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Yeah, but you never know, he might like that sort of stuff!  :crazy1: :evil:

:rofl:  :rofl:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal