i30 Owners Club

I30 FD 2011 drivers side window regulator stuffed, how do i get the guts out?

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hi Folks

window regulator is stuffed, I have removed the basic panel, I have removed screws from the big metal panel but I need to know how to disengaged the handle and lock so I can remove the metal plate for regulator replacement??
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
Plenty of help in the search section of the forum,  sure you'll find it 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Folks

window regulator is stuffed, I have removed the basic panel, I have removed screws from the big metal panel but I need to know how to disengaged the handle and lock so I can remove the metal plate for regulator replacement??

You need to make sure all the harnesses are disconnected and unclipped from the panel. There's a wiring loom attached to the door lock . Once you're happy it's al free to move without ripping the wires out, pull it away from the door slighlty and then wiggle it forward towards the front of the car to disengage2 plastic fingers that lock into the door lock assembly.
Are you rebuilding it or replacing entire assembly?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
I thought I would be doing the complete assembly to ensure there is no stupid mistake on my part......just could see how the large metal plate with looms etc  could separate from the lock/handle assembly inside the cavity...off I go to challenge the beast again

Thanks

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I thought I would be doing the complete assembly to ensure there is no stupid mistake on my part......just could see how the large metal plate with looms etc  could separate from the lock/handle assembly inside the cavity...off I go to challenge the beast again

Thanks
Then I would reomove all harneses and clips first. Some unclip from the inside, needle nose pliers should be of assistance. Patience and not rushing is the key to reduced damage!

Refurbing is a piece of piss, hardest part is getting the cable back in. If you've purchased a used assembly it's life will be very variable. I had mine go, put in one from a 41000k car and 2 years youger and it failed again with the year.

I'm currently trying out the clips from ebay. Always seems to be the heaviest end that fails. Done 3 now, happy with what I've used so far.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Place it in front of a mirror and it'll look normal. LOL.

Place it in front of a mirror and it'll look normal. LOL.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't know why he removes the entire lock, but hey, he gets it done. Not necessary but getting the lock harness of can be a pain without clear sight.

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
About it being the heaviest end that fails, it also has the most glass to channel friction. Remember to lubricate the channels.

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
hi folks....I ordered the regulator assembly which has two metal channels attached to cables and the main cog. looking at removing the original bracket assembly I can see what looks like four big rivots holding the metal channel to the metal plate. There appears to be round discs that may act as nuts but not sure.  the new bracket assembly has bolts that would go through the mounting hole and secured with hex nuts...do I/how do I remove the discs (nut?) or is it a rivot?  Any suggestions would be great

thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry, I haven't done it but sounds a bit like you'll have to carefully drill them out?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Imagining what that looks like, and having done that job on a SEAT Cordoba, I would agree with drilling and replacing with bolts and nuts or new rivets.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :-[
Or not.
 :lol:

What I found on the Cordoba was a press fit of the shell over the motor/gear plate using foldover tongues which were easy enough to pry apart. I'm not seeing the rivets in the illustration above.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 22:51:06 by The Gonz »

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:-[
Or not.
 :lol:

What I found on the Cordoba was a press fit of the shell over the motor/gear plate using foldover tongues which were easy enough to pry apart. I'm not seeing the rivets in the illustration above.

:spitty:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah, what a difference being led to an image makes. If yours comes with bolts, I don't see any other option than drilling, but do you really need to replace the rails as well anyway? :Dunno:

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hi Folks,
thank you for input. Everyone has contributed snippets and pictures.  I bought the bracket assembly form a company in Brisbane for $95 plus $15 for express delivery...cheaper if Aust Post used. AUTO PARTS SUPPLY QLD PTY LTD

There are four ways to fix the window regulator issue:
-get someone else to do the repair
-buy the whole metal plate which comes with new regulator cog, cables etc, just exchange speaker and grommets
-buy the bracket assembly, with regulator cog, cables, rails
-buy the cog, cable and slider for the rails in a kit

Me...the bracket was the one I bought then realised that I could have bought the plate for $210...may have been the better way , the temperature was 38 degrees when I was doing this.

As I had the bracket assembly, I had to remove the original bracket by drilling out the 5 rivets with 8mm drill using a smaller pilot whole first. Greased up all the cable , slides, cog, noting that the glass grippers are accessible through the oval cut out with rubber surround and cap. Slot in the metal plat assembly, feed door latch cable through the wholes and attaché to the door handle/lock assembly. bolt the plate to the door....I had taped up the glass in the up position so I could lower it down into the glass grippers ad tighten up the bolts. fitted the trim...only broke one plastic button!!!   

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi Folks,
thank you for input. Everyone has contributed snippets and pictures.  I bought the bracket assembly form a company in Brisbane for $95 plus $15 for express delivery...cheaper if Aust Post used. AUTO PARTS SUPPLY QLD PTY LTD

There are four ways to fix the window regulator issue:
-get someone else to do the repair
-buy the whole metal plate which comes with new regulator cog, cables etc, just exchange speaker and grommets
-buy the bracket assembly, with regulator cog, cables, rails
-buy the cog, cable and slider for the rails in a kit

Me...the bracket was the one I bought then realised that I could have bought the plate for $210...may have been the better way , the temperature was 38 degrees when I was doing this.

As I had the bracket assembly, I had to remove the original bracket by drilling out the 5 rivets with 8mm drill using a smaller pilot whole first. Greased up all the cable , slides, cog, noting that the glass grippers are accessible through the oval cut out with rubber surround and cap. Slot in the metal plat assembly, feed door latch cable through the wholes and attaché to the door handle/lock assembly. bolt the plate to the door....I had taped up the glass in the up position so I could lower it down into the glass grippers ad tighten up the bolts. fitted the trim...only broke one plastic button!!!

Nice. those rivets look like they'd be tough to drill.  With regards to the clips, was it a blue bugger on the right hand side upper area?

I swear it's the same one I break every darn time no matter how hard I try

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well done, mate. :victory:

Offline tony.young4650

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I've got mine stripped down in anticipation of the regulator assembly replacement.
Something is holding the whole plate assembly in at the door lock end.

Any tips on how or what to unhook to get it to come free without pulling out the lock assembly?

cheers
Tony
  • 2010 I30 Diesel

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've got mine stripped down in anticipation of the regulator assembly replacement.
Something is holding the whole plate assembly in at the door lock end.

Any tips on how or what to unhook to get it to come free without pulling out the lock assembly?

cheers
Tony

Electrical harness to the door lock, Then there's plastic fingers which slide into the lock assemblly, usualy a wiggle and pull unlatches that but th eharness is a real pain to squeeze and pull out.

Pinced this image off gummie , th e mech fitted to this is aftermarket

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
My driver side (LEFT) regulator failed and I ordered a kit to fix it. I disassemble the door and I find out that the window's holders are like on the photo and do not fit on the plastic clips of the kit. Any ideas what is happening?

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
My driver side (LEFT) regulator failed and I ordered a kit to fix it. I disassemble the door and I find out that the window's holders are like on the photo and do not fit on the plastic clips of the kit. Any ideas what is happening?

Well the clips appear to be correct for an FD i30 Left side front door if the regulator looks like this.

Those arms look completely different so they won't fit, so maybe there was another version used at some point ?

I can't find any imgae with your arms yet, can you take a picture of the whole assembly to confirm what you have and of the old clips.

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I post some photos from ebay. The assembly is indeed completely different and also the length of the cables. Also many other minor differences. I think mine assembly is newer version produced in czech republic and the other made in Korea. I found one very cheap at ebay to fix my my car about 45€ shipped.

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece

Offline Kb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA
My drivers window regulator also failed for the second time and is now well and truely out of warranty
I purchased from Powerwin Brisbane a replacement kit $78 including postage after being quoted $340 from Hyundai for the part only.
Powerwin offered options including fitting with a 2 year warranty for I think $365 - not possible they are 4500kms away. That said the part arrived the day after I ordered it.
Their YouTube video is not bad for orientation and direction
After much struggling I got everything apart and fitted back together again with some help
Also thanks to this forum and Alan Clooney Youtube  door removal post
  • I30 CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Kb

:welcumwagon:

Thanks for the feedback. Good result in the end!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Kb

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA
Two other tricks/ tricky bits not specifically mentioned elsewhere
1. The twist required to fit the cog back for me required help to get the cables close enough together to 'twist and clip'  - see Powerwin video
2. getting the power connection back into the door lock hold down the clip on the plug or it will not seat - took ages to work out due to lousy visibility-was way too focused on the retaining bracket that fits over the top on
  • I30 CRDI

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thanks for the feedback Kb :goodjob: I'll add Powerwin's link to the topic in case anyone else needs their help and parts. 

:link: Power Window Professionals - Powerwin Automotive

I30 instructional download video on this page :link: Powerwin Automotive - Support

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal