i30 Owners Club

Advice on scratch on the front bumper

Offline devotionz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      parramatta
Hey guys,

New to the forum here, i have owned my hyundai i30 sr premium 2015 model for about 2 years now.

I found a scratch at the front of my bumper after finishing work, you can see the metal and looks intentional.

I am wondering are there any good repair kits that include the paint or is it better to take it back to hyundai?

I have used turtle wax over the area and hopefully it prevents any rust.

I live in Sydney, Ausralia.

My car's paint code is N4B (Marina Blue).

• hyundai i30 SR premium 2015

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hey guys,

New to the forum here, i have owned my hyundai i30 sr premium 2015 model for about 2 years now.

I found a scratch at the front of my bumper after finishing work, you can see the metal and looks intentional.

I am wondering are there any good repair kits that include the paint or is it better to take it back to hyundai?

I have used turtle wax over the area and hopefully it prevents any rust.

I live in Sydney, Ausralia.

My car's paint code is N4B (Marina Blue).
Two questions.
Can you post a photo?
The bumpers are plastic so I'm wondering where the metal is.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline devotionz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      parramatta
i sound so silly, totally forgot its plastic.

Here are the images :

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: To be honest I would just source some touch up and carefully run a lick of paint along there. Not sure if any of the car accessory places have that colour in a spray can or a touch up pen/tube? You can buy it online.

If in a spray can you just squirt some in the lid and let it start to go off for a few seconds and then apply with a small brush. Being on an edge if you do it carefully you won't even pick it.

I reckon it probably happened accidentally with a shopping trolley or pushbike on the footpath or something. Intentional damage is usually on a guard or door at waist height.

Edit. Only thing is you'll have to clean the area pretty well with metho or similar to get the wax that you applied off (so the paint doesn't bead)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:welcumwagon: To be honest I would just source some touch up and carefully run a lick of paint along there. Not sure if any of the car accessory places have that colour in a spray can or a touch up pen/tube? You can buy it online.

If in a spray can you just squirt some in the lid and let it start to go off for a few seconds and then apply with a small brush. Being on an edge if you do it carefully you won't even pick it.

I reckon it probably happened accidentally with a shopping trolley or pushbike on the footpath or something. Intentional damage is usually on a guard or door at waist height.

Edit. Only thing is you'll have to clean the area pretty well with metho or similar to get the wax that you applied off (so the paint doesn't bead)
I'm with dazz on most of this. If someone was going to intentionally do it it would be a better job than that obscure  point.

I would say also potentially a trolley caught it or maybe it brushed something and you did not realise.

I would use wax and grease remover , very light sand, some plastic primer, base coat then clear.

Or  there would be plenty of touch up guys who could air brush that and you'll never notice if you are real fussy
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Don't feel silly about the plastic.
My sister in law did the same with her Accent and took it to a panel shop quickly, "so it wouldn't rust".
Provided plenty of entertainment for the panel shop guys.
She's a good sport though and loves to tell the story about her "misunderstanding".

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
There are loads of dent and scratch repairers in the UK who come to your house and do the work.

In the UK something like that would cost about £75 and the paint repair would be invisible.

This is the most well-known national brand with local guys in all main towns

:link: Mobile Car Paint Repair & Scratch Removal | ChipsAway

Most ignore the factory paint code and have a mobile spectrophotometer which "measures" the existing paint colour and tells the operator which mix of colours and metallic are needed to match the colour. In their van they have a rack of base colours and a precision dispensing and mixing unit to ensure a perfect match.

I have had four such repairs done over the past 10 years - silver, metallic dark grey, silver and flat white. Every one of them were spot-on.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Alan. However the op is in Parramatta, Australia.

But yes, Chips away also operates here.
In fact, many years ago I used them at Castle Hill which is near Parramatta so they'll probably still be in the area.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day,
Try "The Touch Up Guys " 👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
 :wts:...   ifen ya do it yourself let the paint go off for a day or two then buff it with a gentle cutting compound.  Tcut springfs to mind, there are others though  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline devotionz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      parramatta
Thank you everyone for such quick and explanatory response. I will probably order the paint and do it myself.

anyone know of reliable site i can get it from?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Supercheap will mix you up a touch up bottle for $19.95, complete with brush.
Make sure you skim most of the paint off the brush before applying it. Then just build up a few thin layers.
If you use the full load off the brush you'll have a ridge of paint.
Just tell them your paint code.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
If you know anyone that paints their nails,  you  could give them a ago  first  :idea:  :lol:

( was going to say better half,  but, throwing a little PC into the mix,   :winker:)
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal