i30 Owners Club

2008 i30 reverse gear intermittent issues

NRG89 · 2 · 2879

Offline NRG89

• 1st Gear
Hi all,
I have a couple of issues with reverse gear on my i30. It's the manual, 5 speed transmission, '07 model i30.

Issue 1: Occasionally when I put the car into reverse all appears fine, until I go to move away and my ears are treated to a horrendous screeching sound. Putting it into neutral, then putting it back into reverse solves it.

Issue 2: Occasionally after reversing (and coming to a stop - not rolling), I put the car into 'first' only to find that I am actually back in reverse. The gear stick has a ring pull to select reverse gear, which I am not pulling up.

Has anyone here come across something like this before or have any ideas what might be going on? Specifically, I am more concerned about the second issue, because I can't trust the damn thing to be in the right gear!

Thanks
  • I30 '07 Model

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: The early FD's could be a bit stubborn to get into Reverse and 1st, but can't recall your exact issue being mentioned on here before. I'm no mechanic but sounds like an issue with the linkages to me.

The quality of the changes including getting into reverse and 1st can often be improved with fresh good quality transmission oil and an additive like this.. But it probably won't fix your problem..

:link: Gearbox Oil ? LIQUI-MOLY Australia

We have smarter technicians than me that may be able to help though.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal