i30 Owners Club

2008 - replacing ball joint, two different types?

Olympicon · 44 · 10242

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Then did the rear discs and pads and found out one of the caliper boots has a big gash in it and has done for a while so will have to buy a new caliper now, fun :crazy2:

Start where you should have with the ball joint (hindsight  :cool:) go to a wrecking yard.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Well the ball joint was well and truly stuck in there, rounded the thread off in my splitter. In my infinite wisdom and frustration got the angle grinder out and cut it off top and bottom.. forgetting it was tapered and wouldn’t just drop out. Cue two garages trying a hydraulic press, gas torch, hammering the **** out of it and an air chisel. Eventually had an engineering works drill the bastard out for a tenner but will be replacing the whole arm I think.
Also managed to catch the cv boot and bend the ARB link rod in the process.  :crazy1:

Then did the rear discs and pads and found out one of the caliper boots has a big gash in it and has done for a while so will have to buy a new caliper now, fun :crazy2:
Hindsight being that wonderfiul thing, removal of the entire arm with teh jooint in place may have been an option assuming the 2 bolts in teh knuckle came out, then we'd have to find out the specs of that Kiwi mallett required for removal.

was the breaker like the one I posted? just curious. Heating the joint, well if it's been heated nad red, i would consider it now questionable for use.

I've seen a garage reject a safety inspection on a vehicle due to evidence of a rod being heated to straighten.

Not an expert in that field.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Its deal with a corrosion problem or save time by getting new or 2nd hand parts. There must be regions that don't salt their roads, so the chance of getting good parts from their wreckers should reasonable.  :undecided:

Since I have been with ownersclub I have seen photos of crappy i30 suspensions, corroded to an extent that I never deal with anything that bad here in oz. They are all European and resemble some of our 4x4 s that have done alot of beach work and have not had a regular wash down afterwards.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Well the ball joint was well and truly stuck in there, rounded the thread off in my splitter. In my infinite wisdom and frustration got the angle grinder out and cut it off top and bottom.. forgetting it was tapered and wouldn’t just drop out. Cue two garages trying a hydraulic press, gas torch, hammering the **** out of it and an air chisel. Eventually had an engineering works drill the bastard out for a tenner but will be replacing the whole arm I think.
Also managed to catch the cv boot and bend the ARB link rod in the process.  :crazy1:

Hindsight being that wonderfiul thing, removal of the entire arm with teh jooint in place may have been an option assuming the 2 bolts in teh knuckle came out, then we'd have to find out the specs of that Kiwi mallett required for removal.

was the breaker like the one I posted? just curious. Heating the joint, well if it's been heated nad red, i would consider it now questionable for use.

I've seen a garage reject a safety inspection on a vehicle due to evidence of a rod being heated to straighten.

Not an expert in that field.

Yes if I’d just taken the whole arm off to behind with then I may have gotten away with it!
Wasn’t heated until it went red so I’m hoping no structural changes.

Which breaker did you post? The one I used was the fork type which you wedge between then do up the bolt to push the ball joint bolt up?

New rear caliper is only £60-70 so I’ll get a new one I think :)
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Go to page 1 :mrgreen: 4th reply

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:Knock: You should add a sound track.  :2giggling:  :listentomusic:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Suggestions?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Suggestions?

Babyface:

I'm dying inside and nobody knows it but me
Like a clown I put on a show
The pain is real even if nobody knows…

Betty Who:
Forget I was born
Baby, ignore me
Since you don't need me anymore

Keith Urban:
Ain't it funny how the best days of my life
Was all that wasted time
All that wasted time

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Suggestions?

Babyface:

I'm dying inside and nobody knows it but me
Like a clown I put on a show
The pain is real even if nobody knows…

Betty Who:
Forget I was born
Baby, ignore me
Since you don't need me anymore

Keith Urban:
Ain't it funny how the best days of my life
Was all that wasted time
All that wasted time
  :sweating:

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol

I can see the two ball joint pics but the top pic is just a blank square?
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

I can see the two ball joint pics but the top pic is just a blank square?

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Yes that’s the type I used except the tool must be about 30 years old and I suspect I must have rounded it off about ten years ago the last time I used it  :whistler:
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes that’s the type I used except the tool must be about 30 years old and I suspect I must have rounded it off about ten years ago the last time I used it  :whistler:
:head_butt:

Oh well.  i use a 6 sided impact socket and an air gun to drive mine.

Best of luck with the calipers

Offline Olympicon

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Thinking about it I could have just put a nut or two on there that would have worked just as well!
Thanks fingers crossed
  • 2008 2.0 CRDi Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal