i30 Owners Club

leak in the electrical installation?

Offline Michael-2104

• 1st Gear

• Perth
Hi there,
I have an i30, yr 2010, AT. I noticed there is a leak in the electrical installations, about 0.15 amp. I checked it a few times so there is no mistake. The battery is healthy, it is the wiring to blame,  I checked it by connecting another battery, from my other car. Has anybody had a similar problem? Perhaps there is a typical point of leak? I wouldn’t like to check the whole installation. Thanks - Michael-2104
  • i30

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Apart from discovering you have a 150mA draw, are you having any flat battery issues?

I've never had the inclination to check this but i would expect some parasitic draw when the car is in "Standby"

Power would be feeding the radio, holding settings and the clock runs in the nackground. The ecu would have constant power to hold some of its memory, and I'm thinking the alarm system or BCM would need power, it's sitting there waiting for the transmitter signal from your remote to unlock and disarm.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
hard to find concrete data but I found 4mA draw rated in the manual for the BCM referred to as "Dark Current"

Maybe we do have some milliAmps to track down. When I get bored shortly, once the sun gets up more,  I may even pop the bonnet on my diesel and check it.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :wttc:

150mA doesn't sound disastrous, not a threat to a healthy battery. Our resident technical advisor is on the case. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The draws current from the battery to power the circuitry of the alarm, so even when off it will draw current. There is a switch in the fuse box which disables all power if the car is being stored for any length of time, I believe.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
The draws current from the battery to power the circuitry of the alarm, so even when off it will draw current. There is a switch in the fuse box which disables all power if the car is being stored for any length of time, I believe.

You mean the big ass yellow master fuse(if that's what it is) I've yanked that, pop out like a circuit breaker, kind of killed everything.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I don't know what to report but I unlocked the car, popped the bonnet, disconnected earth, put a fluke in series and saw 350mA. maybe this will drop as something may have been active, no lights were on.

Now, does anyone know where I put my radio security PIN, Faaaaaaark :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :D :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:D :sweating:

Well I was joking about the PIN but doing this has really faarked my car up. No remote lock or unlock, can not lock with key. All for a 150mA. :crazy1:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 00:24:29 by tw2005 »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks, I'll make sure I don't do that  :Shocked:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:wttc:

150mA doesn't sound disastrous, not a threat to a healthy battery. Our resident technical advisor is on the case. :goodjob:
:)
Gonz no doubt remembers a similar discussion. As he says, 150mA is negligible. The battery's internal chemistry (for want of a better term) will regenerate small losses that are required to power alarms, radio etc on standby and a remote entry sensor.
For example, a battery that will no longer turn a starter motor, will usually try to work again after resting for an hour or two.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
And what to do with a sick battery no longer suitable for cranking? Power your garage radio for almost ever. :winker:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
point well made  :goodjob2:

Counts batteries.  :undecided:
Wow  :crazy2:
Thinks  :eek:
Triple quadraphonic.  :victory:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And what to do with a sick battery no longer suitable for cranking? Power your garage radio for almost ever. :winker:

Hey, that's what I do  :exclaim:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :drinks:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal