i30 Owners Club

Annoying heater design.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Up here in sunny Queensland, we don't get to use our heaters much, but recently it has been a bit nippy (8C...brrrrr)  in the mornings so I've asked Lubricious to warm me up on my way to work.

I set the temp to hot, set the fan speed to 3 and set the air vents to "Front". As you all know, that when you do this, the aircon switches on automatically as Lubricious thinks I'm trying to demist my windscreen. So to fix this, I switch the aircon off. This all works wonderfully well until I stop for coffee on the way to work and get back into the car and fire Lubricious up again. The damn aircon switches itself on again!!!!

I find this very annoying because I can drive for ages with the temp set at hot and the aircon on before I realise it. It seems pointless that the aircon comes back on automatically when you restart the motor.

Does anyone else find this annoying, or am I just too grumpy in the mornings????
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I used too when I first got the Shiny red one, but now it's just a case of 'shrug me shoulders' and lets get on with it.... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's a post somewhere around (maybe in a TSB, or the owners manual?), which may or may not be applicable to non-climate controlled systems, with which the auto-aircon can be disabled. Something to do with hitting the AC switch 5 times within 2 seconds, while whistling the swagman song. The title "disabling the fogging logic" springs to mind...

Or something like that.

I'd look, but I'm supposed to be working :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That used to annoy Trish too (when we had climate control in the CRDi...) Her SX doesn't have it  :winker:

Think it is normal for climate control systems ( the Hybrid does similar)  :rolleyes:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Guys, I don't have climate control, just manual operation. (No, that is not a Spanish vasectomy).

I'll try the shoulder shrugging method suggested by as.

My main concern was that the aircon is operating bu the temperature is set to max hot, not max cold. Could this damage the aircon???

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I very much doubt it would cause any damage, indeed the heat will be a dry heat which feels hotter.  Also, the heat may make like unconfortable for the bugs residing in the filter :-)....

This is how it was expalied to me bout a year ago, when I made a similar comment  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This is what I was thinking of ...

Sorry, seems like a red herring  :-[
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Thanks Shambles. Maybe I might be able to convert the manual aircon system to auto climate control. Can that be done?

Pip
Thanks Shambles. Maybe I might be able to convert the manual aircon system to auto climate control. Can that be done?
Even if it could be converted, I wouldn't. The climate control is even more frustrating.  Basic manual controls without any (il)logic is way better IMO.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
UM i might drive three different cars vans or trucks in one day, all different makes and if the fan is left switched on they will all activate the aircond. my betsy has manual settings, Crystal has climate control. all does the same thing in the end. i just turn the climate control off.
move to Darwin its always warm. my mate just sold up left QLD after 5 years up there he thinks NSW has better weather, but he moved to Tassie, he lived there b4.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even if it could be converted, I wouldn't. The climate control is even more frustrating.  Basic manual controls without any (il)logic is way better IMO.

I agree.. I think I prefer the manual system too (often over-ride the auto in our cars)

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
I didn't even know that this happens....... shows how observant I am....   :sweating:

Offline Pranav

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bairnsdale

• I30 CW AUTO Trophy Hyper Silver
Oh Yes, I get annoyed too.

I live in a small town, so my trips are usually short..and the A/C comes on by itself  :neutral:

I try to keep the fan off for this reason, unless I really need to keep it on.

lindlake
i find that here in vic i have to have the ac on with the heater  or i fog up the windows :D

Offline Jeremiah

• 1st Gear

• au Australia

• i30CW SX CRDi mica black.
The aircon in mine comes on automatically but only if one of the buttons pressed contains the windscreen icon.  It goes off if I go to just plain front or footwell buttons.  Which seems logical.

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
the a/c comes on with the heater because when the air passes through the a/c evaporator whatever moisture is in the air (humidity) condenses on the evaporator and is drained out on the ground. the air then passes through the heater core and is reheated and ducted to where ever you have it set ie. front, windscreen, feet, whatever. this is because hot dry air will demist a fooged up window quicker as it pulls the moisture from the glass back into suspension as the air passes over it. also if the air was just heated and not dried by the a/c evaporator you would end up with a cab full of warm moist air and the moisture in the air will be attracted to the cold glass and condensate, ie. fogg up your windows.
also as stated earlier warm dry air feels warmer than warm humid air.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

thanks for that explanation.. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal