i30 Owners Club

Radio Hacking

duncanb · 11 · 21966

Offline duncanb

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

• i30 1.6 GLS Manual
There's something I meant to post a while ago after getting all my Hyundai firmwares upgraded. I'm not sure if it's any use to anyone, and I can't remember all the details, but here goes...

To get to "hidden" settings on the radio press and hold 1 and 4 for a few seconds, then press 1 a few times in succession. It will first go to the firmware version screen, but if you press 1 again it will go to a "firmware upgrade from USB" screen. Now this is not very useful by itself, but when I was watching the guy do this he seemed to get to another "hidden settings" screen that he then navigated with the knobs or something. It looked like there were all sorts of interesting settings in there.

I've tried various combinations, but can't seem to access the same screen. I'm posting this in the hope someone tried this themself and somehow manages to hit the right combination. Please post back here if you do!

Happy driving.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You didn't pay close enough attention which means you've let us all down,,,   AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry, we'll forgive you, this once   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just tried it.

Yep. Hold 1 & 4 for five seconds. Press 1 four times. Then, button 1 changes from "display firmware" to "change firmware" and button 4 starts the upload from USB.

Just wish I had something to upload... it didn't seem to think my Enya album was good enough :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Just wish I had something to upload... it didn't seem to think my Enya album was good enough :rolleyes:

It obviously has no taste :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
when I was watching the guy do this he seemed to get to another "hidden settings" screen that he then navigated with the knobs or something. It looked like there were all sorts of interesting settings in there.

Was the car connected to the garage computer?

If so, them may be the radio "talks" to the computer and visa versa.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
I've got a problem with the radio unit, i pressed 1 and 4, then 1 a few times and the 6.I got to a menu where i could change some setting (forgot what they were) and you can also change the region for the radio.I changed it from Europe to USA, then some tiny text appeared in the right corner of the screen, it worked for 10 sec and then the radio shut off :( .Now the display doesn't work anymore (it just show the temperature and clock or the frequency menu when i put the ignition and then all the text disappears when i start the engine and only the blue light works)  and i can only hear the radio (no CD/USB/AUX) and can also change station and use the volume but with no display.Anyone has any idea how i can reset it, already tried disconnecting the battery and removing the radio fuse but the problem still persists.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You still got any warranty? I'd play dumb and take it to the dealer.. :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline umbro

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Romania
I manged to fix it, fortunately after a few hours i remembered the button sequence i pressed and i tried it with no display till it worked. To get into that menu you have to hold 1 and 4 for 6 second then press 1 four times and then press 6, and after that use the right scroll button to select the region and then press it.There are other settings you can change but i dont know what they are for, ill get some pics, maybe someone will figure it out.

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
And the moral of the story is... If it's not broke, don't fix it :P :rofl: :lol:

Offline MadCornY

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Greece
So... I tried it too. You press 1&4 for 5-6 seconds and then 1111. then you can press:
1 for fw up date via usb
2 for fw up date via cd
3 for some settings (1=GUI off/on (graphic user interface?), 2 NOR -> EER ,3 EER -> NOR)
4 settings for RDS
5 more version info (?)
6 change region

so, i have the 1.07EUR version, is there a newer version? I don't want to speak with my dealer so... is there a chance we can find the fw by ourselves?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 14:13:38 by MadCornY »
  • 1.4 Petrol Steel Grey Premium

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal