i30 Owners Club

1,100k from first full tank U2 Motor 6 Speed

Lakes · 5 · 2862

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi all, just wanted to report after filling Crystal to the very top on Caltex vortex diesel ( put 45L to fill ) i have traveled 1,100k about 600k country ( xtra urban ) 500k city ( urban ) part of it with two people. also crossed Blue mountains. trip computer was reading 79k to empty when fuel light came on and distance traveled was just over 1,100k. i got caught away from my beloved Caltex fill up point so just put 40L of BP diesel in. very happy as Crystal still tight & trip Computer reading 4.8L / 100k. i can't complaine as i'm not driving for economy. also note i did not try to fill right up on BP as takes me too long as high detergent and foams a lot. but was not hard to fill right up on the Vortex Diesel, i just slowed down the flow for the last 5 Liters, never spilled a drop.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got to be happy with that .. Hopefully i can trade the Hybrid on a nice 6 speed 2.0 Crdi i40 in 2 or 3 years time... :whistler:  (if they have such a thing then...)  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Morrigan

• 2nd Gear
hi all, just wanted to report after filling Crystal to the very top on Caltex vortex diesel ( put 45L to fill ) i have traveled 1,100k about 600k country ( xtra urban ) 500k city ( urban ) part of it with two people. also crossed Blue mountains. trip computer was reading 79k to empty when fuel light came on and distance traveled was just over 1,100k. i got caught away from my beloved Caltex fill up point so just put 40L of BP diesel in. very happy as Crystal still tight & trip Computer reading 4.8L / 100k. i can't complaine as i'm not driving for economy. also note i did not try to fill right up on BP as takes me too long as high detergent and foams a lot. but was not hard to fill right up on the Vortex Diesel, i just slowed down the flow for the last 5 Liters, never spilled a drop.

When did you buy this car? I placed my order in January 2011 and received my car only in July 2011. It comes with 6 speed manual (as opposed to the 5 speed manual it's advertised with) but based on the picture's i've seen on this forum, i believe the engine is the older 'U' one, not the updated 'U2' version of the 1.6 CRDi. Is there a better way to check if i got the 'U' or 'U2' engine?

I'm thinking that i've been ripped off!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Morrigan, it was about end of july.  well i have both the 2008 5 speed CRDi & this 6 speed CRDi. this motor is not a great deal different to look at other than the fact the Turbo & exhast manifold are different or should i say mounted noticibly higher. the turbo its self is probably the same there is only a few little things around the turbo that are or look different. the end part of part # on the injectors is different. & the engine cover is much smaller much easier or faster to remove. the motor pulls smoother & seems to have slightly more Torque at lower rev's. i like the six speed gearbox better too, but i like both cars. the 2008 5 speed flys as it has 90,000+ k's up the motor feels much faster than when it was new. the new 6 speed i have is still very tight, but much smoother than the 5 speed was when it had the same low k's up.
i think it must have a different state of tune than some other virsions of the U2 motor as on the sticker it states 119 Ho2 .... but i've seen #'s online for earlier U2's that put out 125Ho2 same as my 5 speed. but i'm just guessing. it's getting great economy still as looks like my second full to the top tank will be another 1,100+k's b4 needing a re fill.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi again Morrigan, sorry if my last post was confusing.
if your car has a six speed & build date june or july i'm sure it has a U2 motor. you can possitivly check via car idenification # someone posted info somewhere here. but from what i gather reading the difference between U & U2 they are the same motor just the U2 has a few upgrades mostly where you can't see inless you pull the head off & look, one difference is it runs higher pressure injectors. well you would never be able to see the difference looking at injectors what pressure they run at as most injectors just look the same when fitted to a motor. they say the exhast can recycle or be used again but  i don't know how that works . just know from what i read, but the exhast manifold and how turbo is mounted is different one motor to the other. i think they use same turbo as it is still what looks like same size & its variable geometry. but in the end they perform about the same just this U2 seems smoother less fussed at low revs in different gears compared to the U motor.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal