i30 Owners Club

MY2011 i30 CW 6sp man CRDi in AUS with "U" not "U2" engine? I've been RIPPED?

Offline Morrigan

• 2nd Gear
Hey guys,

First of all i would like to say that i'm very happy with the recent delivery of my i30 CW CRDi wagon which i had to wait 6 months for here in Australia...

But i after browsing through this forum and double checking with my car, i realized that there are a few nagging questions which i can't get answers to...

1) Why is my MY2011 i30 still fitted with a 1.6l 'U' engine as opposed to the updated 'U2' engine?
2) Why did my car come fitted with a 6 speed manual (As opposed to the advertised 5 speed manual and the dealer did not say anything about it even upon delivery)? <I'm not complaining>

Is the simple answer to these questions that : This is the AUS-spec'd i30 diesel? And hence it does not follow the standard specifications offered in the korean and UK market ?

Or

Was i ripped off for not getting what I've paid for ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I doubt there are some cars in OZ with the 6 speed and U motor combo.. although I guess it is possible ..  :undecided:

Hopefully Lakes or someone else can help you confirm one way or the other.. :cool:

As far as the 6 speed gearbox goes, I'm sure they didn't advertise this improvement openly so they could phase out the 5 speed without too many recipients complaining or holding off their purchase. :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Morrigan

• 2nd Gear
Hmmmm, would you have any tips on how to identify the U2 engine or how to differentiate it from the older 'U' version? I made the decision that it's a 'U' engine based on the pictures in this other thread https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6552.0

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
stupid question guy here again... whats the differences between u and u2 engine- hopefully not a rattle and hum

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

stupid question guy here again... whats the differences between u and u2 engine- hopefully not a rattle and hum

:judges: (very clever) .. Lakes reckons they have made the U2 engine smoother and it pulls better (doesn't labour) from lower revs ... One of the links in this thread explains more.. or just search "U2 engine" ..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Is this of help?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Xamaxy
I would also like to know difference between U and U2 engine.

So far i just thought its a mainly software difference in a way that torque curve has been made better for low revs and that is 0.2l better economy advertised.
Or perhaps U2 is with 6spd while U is 5spd?

EDIT:
1.6 L

The 1.6-litre U Diesel engine (known as D4FB) from the Žilina (Slovakia) Kia factory is a bored-out version of the 1.5-litre U series engine (77.2 mm versus 75 mm) and is used in the KIA Cerato 1.6CRDi, KIA Cee'd 1.6CRDi, Kia Soul and Hyundai i30 models. It develops 90 PS or 115 PS and 235 Nm or 255 Nm torque, dependent on the vehicle application and was the "best in class" diesel engine in the world till now and present time.[citation needed] In 2009 it refined to the 1.6 U2 version and to 128 PS with 265 Nm[1].

Source: wikipedia

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
While researching the U2 myself, pre-purchase, the only major differences I could find is higher common rail pressure and (because of this) different injectors. This supposed to contribute to the lower fuel consumption.

I have never driven the U, but I have to say the the U2 with the 6 speed manual box is way more potent than my initial expectations. I was kinda worried that will be left behind the traffic light rat races like a big truck, but I found myself not only keeping up but being quicker than most if necessary. And this with me having to get used to manual gearbox after 5 years of auto boxes only.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I have never driven the U, but I have to say the the U2 with the 6 speed manual box is way more potent than my initial expectations. I was kinda worried that will be left behind the traffic light rat races like a big truck, but I found myself not only keeping up but being quicker than most if necessary. And this with me having to get used to manual gearbox after 5 years of auto boxes only.

That's funny because I remember thinking that during the test drive too. Plenty of power and keeps up with traffic well (although I was driving it like a petrol with plenty of revs). Now that I own one, and I've done all this reading about driving diesels, it's like I'm babying it, and driving for economy, so often I do feel like I get left behind at the lights. I need to relearn to give it some boot, but I'm afraid of breaking it now that it's mine.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
It provides enough torque and at low rpm. You won't be among the fastest but you definitely won't be the slowest  ;)

With 6 speed it offers better acceleration due to a bit shorter 5th gear and better fuel economy, because of the 6th.

Few months ago, I drove a 1.6 CRDi (6 speed) U engine (or was it U-2?) and it felt really good. I'm saying that especially because my i30 was originally 90hp version one, before I've had it tuned. And the new engine with 6 speed manual seemed much better then previous 90hp ones.

I'm pretty sure I wrote about this somewhere on forum and even posted few pics  ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal