i30 Owners Club

Oil filter

JIMMY · 5 · 2113

Offline JIMMY

• 1st Gear
I just bought a new oil filter from the Hyundai dealer for my post Feb 20th 2008 diesel i30. The filter pack has a small rubber 'o' ring as well as the filter, usual oil filter seal and new sump nut washer. Can anyone tell me what this is for? The exploded diagram from the dealer shows this, but not where it fits, or the plastic thing that goes through the centre of the filter. I understand that there was some small design change just prior to Feb 20th 2008, maybe the 'o' ring is just for the older model?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
One filter is longer and thinner than the other (I think post Feb '08 was the longer one..) but I thought they both came with the O ring...

When you pull the old one out you should be able to see how it goes??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :wss:

As you're going to take the old one off (I'm guessing you're going to do that?), see what it looks like (you could always fit it back if everything's not right)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I believe there are two types of filter depending in the age/vin number.

They advise replacing the sump plug at each oil change.
Probably because it is soft metal and may distort when removing.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
sump plug washer... its alluminium washer in the kit! replace it every time OR use  "three bond" or equivelant... it goes on the sump plug just slip the old one off and put the new one on!

the small 'oring' goes on the oil filter housing at the end of the shaft, and the large one goes around the oil filter housing just above the thread, use a 'welders scribe' or similar to pick out the old small oring being careful NOT TO DAMAGE THE HOUSING SHAFT! then lube up the new oring with fresh oil OR oring grease (yes there is such a producct) and slip it back into the grove, same for the one just above the thread

also i think from memory the sump plug is a 17mm bolt and the oil filter housing is 28mm

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal