i30 Owners Club

Advice needed.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
A few months ago purchased a year old diesel Automatic 1600cc, now with 12K on the clock.

During the last several hundred miles I have noticed that the average fuel consumption is between

33- 34 mpg.

The car usually travels on short urban trips of between 5 to 8 miles round trips, with the occasional

round trips of about 25 - 30 miles. As there are numerous traffic lights  etc, the car does not go above

40 mph.

Is this the average MPG I should expect ?

Pip
34 MPG = 8.3 l/100Km

An automatic, in your conditions, sounds fair (to high) to me.

It's always possible to do better but imposed conditions mitigate your chances.

As always, accelerate gently etc. etc. The auto will remember your habits and help a bit by changing up earlier.  Push it and you are on your own!

If you really wanted economy you needed a manual and learn to drive like a granny. I do and it really does work. :whistler:

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
In my petrol 1.6L auto, I'm getting around 8LHK in mixed stop-and-go/city/urban driving.  So, your figure for a diesel sounds a little high.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds a bit high. I'm averaging 8.5 k/100l on mixed driving from my 2 litre petrol manual. And I reckon that's a bit high but acceptable given my driving style.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
sounds right to me, considering the very short distances it travels, im sure it wont reach normal operating temps and consumption will be a little higher
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
My car is a 1.6L Manual Diesel. I drive 7km each way to work and also some other driving about the place...combined i still get 6l/100 and i 'flog' it! I drive with smoke coming out the back! cannot get it over 6.5l/100!!! :))
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My car is a 1.6L Manual Diesel. I drive 7km each way to work and also some other driving about the place...combined i still get 6l/100 and i 'flog' it! I drive with smoke coming out the back! cannot get it over 6.5l/100!!! :))

Yeah.. you cant beat that Diesel MANUAL economy...I know some people buy the auto because they or their partner have an auto only license or a disability or something but blowed if I'd pay an extra $2000 (recently reduced to $1000) so I could use an extra 2 LPH of fuel  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I'll be driving 500km a week for work from Monday onwards! WOO! Change of job!! so the 4.1l/100 will be so much loved! :)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'll be driving 500km a week for work from Monday onwards! WOO! Change of job!! so the 4.1l/100 will be so much loved! :)

Yeah.. I can relate to that the i30 CRDi just makes you want to drive (we are doing 10K less per year since we swapped cars)  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal