i30 Owners Club

Cold Weather Fuel Economy

Thumper · 13 · 5324

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Over the last two weeks of ownership I have noticed that the i30 Diesel manual prefers warmer temperatures for fuel economy.

When the ambient air temperature is over 20 degrees C during the day, I can attain 3.8lt/100km for 500km.

Yet when the ambient air temp is below 5 degrees C at night, I can't get any better than 4.5lt/100km for 500km.

This is on the same road, driving exactly the same way, same traffic conditions, over the same tank of fuel.

I've pulled up at night, opened the bonnet and felt the top of the intercooler, it was freezing cold. (Inlet pipe at the bottom of the intercooler was warm to the touch)

Anyone else notice this happening? Cold weather hurts fuel economy in the i30 diesel?

Ading to this, I've done some more testing.

Near my home there is a 150km stretch of road that is flat and is dual lane highway in both directions. I warmed up the i30, reset the average lt/100km on the trip computer, then headed off, driving at a constant 90km/h.

At the end of the trip, I recorded outside air temp and average fuel used.

I then drove back to the starting point, fitted a cover to the front of the intercooler, reset the average lt/100km on the trip computer, drove exactly the same again for the next 150km.

These were my findings:

First trip, outside air temp -1 degrees C, average fuel 5.1lt/100km (Worst economy to date)
Second trip, outside air temp -2 degrees C, average fuel 4.1lt/100km (About right for my driving)

Now, in a normal sedan, you wouldn't bother with a 1lt/100km difference, who would care? Yet, when it represents about 20-25% of you fuel use, that's a different story!

I have sent an email to Hyundai Australia explaining this and awaiting a reply.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Folks,

Reset my Trip Computer today before setting off on a 120km round trip in reasonable conditions of around 12C to 16C degrees.

Was 90% highway driving at between 80 and 100kph..

Got very pleasing 4.9 Ltrs/100km average (nice.... :D ) and much better than the 5.5 i've been seeing since the weather turned cold...

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
For those who are interested, took a picture of the intercooler cover I made for when it gets very cold.

Nothing too fancy, just a bit of cardboard, 190mm wide by 450mm long. Slips easily in front of the intercooler, is held in place by the upper and lower mounting brackets.

Works wonders when it's freezing outside.  8-)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Pardon my ignorance but what is the intercooler?

Is it what I in UK call the radiator.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"
Pardon my ignorance but what is the intercooler?

Is it what I in UK call the radiator.
Nah mate.

Check wikipedia for a full explanation :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

OK seen Wikipedia.

Which bit/where is it on the i30?

Picture please

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
eye30, this picture of an i30 with the front bumper removed (Thanks to echocae) shows the air conditioner condenser in front (Horizontal grills) with the intercooler sitting beside it (Vertical grills)

The engine radiator sits behind the aircon condenser.

The piece of cardboard sits in front of the intercooler and slots in behind the large vertical round receiver tube that is on the side of the aircon condenser.

You can slot the cardboard in down between the battery and the intercooler. There is just enough gap to the side, going around to the front.

Does this make sense?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thumper can you do the red arrow like you have done in your own pic's to highlight the intercooler for eye30.
also i think it rains a lot in GB so just thinking the cardboad might go soggy quick. would be nice to have a waterproof cover.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey That's easy... Eye30 & shambles could just pinch a Real Estate Sign made of Corflute plastic (if they use them in the UK) and cut it to size  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
So i was driving around today, mainly 15-17 degress and ranged from 5.1 l/100 to 5.4 l/100

5.1 to work uphill and 5.4 from work downhill

now got 300k's on the clock :P

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Lakes"
i think it rains a lot in GB so just thinking the cardboad might go soggy quick. would be nice to have a waterproof cover.

Rain!!!!!!!!!
Rain!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rain!!!!!!!!
etc etc etc etc
We now have waterproof cardboard!!!!!!!!!

The only time I see the sun is the symbol on the weather map.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "Thumper"
eye30, this picture of an i30 with the front bumper removed (Thanks to echocae) shows the air conditioner condenser in front (Horizontal grills) with the intercooler sitting beside it (Vertical grills)

Thanks Thumper.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hey EYE waterproof cardboard, you got it made m8 go for it, just only use when it is really cold, did you know we have water restrictions here in Sydney, it was as rare as hen's teeth at one time now we are getting rain but not allowed to wash LOL
 :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal