i30 Owners Club

Transmission grind while moving (with foot off pedal) and interior rattles!!

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Hi Guys,

As some of you know, I have a bnew 1.6CRDi 6-speed U2 (still don't know if it's 90hp or 115hp). I've noticed while driving in  the city when it's very quiet that the transmission grinds (can feel it in the shifter and can hear it) in 1st and 2nd gear while the car is moving and it's just moving on its own power (foot off accelerator and just letting it pull itself). I can kind of feel it also while moving at speed in other gears even at 100km/h. But i'm not too sure if it's the grinding I'm feeling or simply the diesel engine.

In neutral or when the clutch is pressed-in (either in gear or out of gear) the sound/grind is not present.

I can also hear it grind sometimes when I let off the gas in 2nd gear and it starts to decelerate, you will usually feel the engine/transmission buck due to torquing (because I let off the gas) but this time I feel and hear the transmission grinding on and off as the engine starts bucking around as it decelerates due to engine braking.

I also have a rattle inside my drivers side door just beside my ear, something rattling inside the driver's seat (like a  spring trying to "move" inside the seat) and I can hear "stuff" shifting around in the hatch area even if nothing is there!!! I've checked all the spare tools, spare tires, tightened the screws holding the plastic panels and they're all in the right place and fits very snug. So nothing should be moving there.

GF was riding with me to work today and I let her hear it just before entering the highway, it's definitely there. Did I get a lemon or what???

What do I tell the dealer? Will the dealer even believe me?
  • 2011 FDe i30 1.6 CRDi 6M/T

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you think there is a problem take it to the dealer and get them to check it , perhaps something isn't right? The odds are against you having bought a lemon though, with so many happy I30 owners  :happydance:

Is there any consistency in the rev count when it happens? I wonder if it may be the low grumble of the diesel when its sitting on 1200-1500 revs?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Nope, it's not the diesel engine as you can clearly hear and feel the difference when pushing the Clutch in or while in neutral. It only sounds and feels apparent when off throttle but in gear. Kind of like what you'd do while crawling in traffic.

Should I give it more time to break in or should I take it in now?

Also, has anyone encountered rattles inside the seats?

Pip
While listening to this noise, can you hear it change if you apply a little pressure to the gear stick one way or another?

I'm thinking that the cables might need to bed in a bit or require a small adjustment or redress perhaps. If it was something like that the reason it only occurs in gear is because the whole engine/transmission will move ever so slightly when it's driving causing a slight repositioning of the cables. Or it could be the exhaust touching something in a similar way.

I doubt you have anything seriously maladjusted.

Oh and a thought re the seat rattle. I was sure I had a "sizzle" in the driver's door and pushed and pulled at everything until one day I discovered that the keys hanging from the ignition were the source. Vibrating together. It became a (temporary) source of amusement because no way did the sound come from that direction. In any case, get your rattles checked out.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:02:40 by Pip »

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Don't have anything hanging anywhere. Don't even have a keychain yet. That's how new it is.  I'll try pushing or pulling the gear lever while hearing that noise. Thanks for the idea!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi jf ..

Rattles can travel so your rattle could be from the Glove Box Lid (very common in i30's) There is a tread on here and also show one fix on my CW Review Video ... :cool:

Rear rattle could be the parcel Shelf.... I hate rattles hope you fix them  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I thought I had a rattle in the driver's door once & it turned out to be a loose screw in the end of the dashboard (which you can't see when the door is closed) which wasn't put back properly when the rain sensor for the sunroof was installed.
So I agree, rattles can travel and end up coming from a different area to where you think it is.
No, I don't think you've got a lemon at all. Just report the facts to the dealership and let them do their job.
If it still isn't fixed, then start being a bit "firmer" with them  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Guys,

As some of you know, I have a bnew 1.6CRDi 6-speed U2 (still don't know if it's 90hp or 115hp). I've noticed while driving in  the city when it's very quiet that the transmission grinds (can feel it in the shifter and can hear it) in 1st and 2nd gear while the car is moving and it's just moving on its own power (foot off accelerator and just letting it pull itself). I can kind of feel it also while moving at speed in other gears even at 100km/h. But i'm not too sure if it's the grinding I'm feeling or simply the diesel engine.

In neutral or when the clutch is pressed-in (either in gear or out of gear) the sound/grind is not present.

I can also hear it grind sometimes when I let off the gas in 2nd gear and it starts to decelerate, you will usually feel the engine/transmission buck due to torquing (because I let off the gas) but this time I feel and hear the transmission grinding on and off as the engine starts bucking around as it decelerates due to engine braking.

I also have a rattle inside my drivers side door just beside my ear, something rattling inside the driver's seat (like a  spring trying to "move" inside the seat) and I can hear "stuff" shifting around in the hatch area even if nothing is there!!! I've checked all the spare tools, spare tires, tightened the screws holding the plastic panels and they're all in the right place and fits very snug. So nothing should be moving there.

GF was riding with me to work today and I let her hear it just before entering the highway, it's definitely there. Did I get a lemon or what???

What do I tell the dealer? Will the dealer even believe me?

Hi jfdelacruz.
When you say that you hear this grinding as you decelerate are you touching the brake pedal (if your decelerating)....   If so then this'll be the exact same grinding which I noticed and it is the brakes.   Apparently this is common nowadays as they have had to stop using asbestos and now use metal ????   which I am told causes the grinding sound.
I hope this is of some help to you....

Mr Griptight

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
Nope. no brakes at all. as in both feet could be up on the seat and it would grind in a gear while running under its own power.

I'll have a look at the screws and see about tightening them up. I did have to tighten quite a few screws at the parcel shelf in the hatch area (not what i'd expect from a new car!). My car was built in Ulsan Korea (VIN decoder) so maybe the guys at Ulsan were having a bad day back in July when my car was being built :(

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi jfd. I'm sure the dealer will work through your problems with you..
BTW. One of the good things about getting old is, your hearing loses some of its intensity and many small rattles and sqeaks just magically - disappear. :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
For now, I'm letting it pass and give it until my 1st oil change to disappear (1000kM's free oil change). I'm just below 500KM right now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
For now, I'm letting it pass and give it until my 1st oil change to disappear (1000kM's free oil change). I'm just below 500KM right now.

FYI ...In Australia they only do inspection and adjustment at 1000km free service (no oil change unless you supply or pay for the oil) and in most parts of Europe they don't even get the inspection as far as I am aware...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jfdelacruz

• 3rd Gear

• ph Philippines
      Paranaque City, Manilla
I noticed too. Same thing on our Audi's. Only get service every 15000km. Hyundai's here have to go in every 5000KM. Don't know why.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal