i30 Owners Club

Diesel fuel filter replacement procedure that I performed

Guest · 25 · 13578

Steve Roe
Well this is what I did, it was all straight forward. AU$41.90 for a Ryco Z707 filter and less than an hour to fit it. (1/2 hour next time)

https://sites.google.com/site/instroe/i30-cdri-diesel-fuel-filter-replacement

I also contacted Hyspares to see if they were  going to offer a cheaper alternative for the diesel fuel filter. The reply was that they hoped to be able to revise the price of the i30 fuel filter in the near future.

I compared the Ryko and the Hyundai side by side, very similar apart from the text on the outside, looking through the holes into the filter it looked the same to me.

I'm sure I read on the Ryco website that using their filters will not null your warranty. Either way if you're doing it yourself you've voided the warranty anyway. As you will see in the document, no evidence of water or containments at all in the original filter after 30,000 kms. In my case it was a waste of time and money, maybe different for others though if they got a poor batch of diesel.

Anyway - enjoy, give it a go, hope you can use my procedure to prep for your own work a little better.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :Shocked: Pity we don't have Member of the Month award any more .. It used to be democratic (I just used to choose someone  :whistler: )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Easy to follow guide.

Thanks.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
Is it easy to see water in the filter? What is to stop you leaving in the original if it all looks clear?

I haven't changed mine yet (40k+) and I am a little concerned about leaving it too late but having a filter on hand and just inspecting it seems to me like a good idea so long as it's obvious that it is contaminated (or not).

Steve Roe
Good questions PIP.
I thought the water would show itself a globules in the bottom of the container - maybe I'm wrong.
The only reason I changed the filter was because I'd bought the replacement already. If I hadn't already bought it I would of just put the original back on. I will not be changing it or looking at it again unless the "water in filter" light comes on. The filter has a capacity of around 0.5 litres, so even if the light came on you should have loads of time to drive home and check it out yourself - no need to stop at the very next mechanic.
Now that I've taken it apart I believe I'd have a good chance of un-clipping the water sensor plug and socket, reaching under and unscrewing the sensor in the bottom of the filter without removing the whole frame assembly etc. It would just leave a bit of a mess on the floor. Might have to pop a hose off the top too to break the vacuum.

Pip
I thought the water would show itself a globules in the bottom of the container - maybe I'm wrong.

That's what I was thinking, like the fuel filters of '50 cars. They had a glass bowl that was simply unclipped, emptied and replaced.

Maybe I'll just wait for the light.  :wink:

Steve Roe
Pip
I think you'll be waiting a long time - for ever. Which is the way it should be.
Shell & Mobil in Vic had to upgrade their diesel manufacturing plants around 10 years ago to make higher quality diesel. The standards to which they comply now is a lot higher, everything is better, more stringent, it's not the same crap they churned out prior to 10 years ago. The UK was 10 years ahead of us with regard to the popularity of small diesel cars and subsequent quality control of the diesel fuel. Their fuel has been better for 20 years. My dad had a Peugeot 405 diesel, he never changed the fuel filter in 12 years - no problems. He traded it in on a new one and it was still running fine.
Relax. Be the one that sets the datum for fuel filter longevity in Australia. - It'll give you bragging rights!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Here is a posting worth a read re water warning light.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=3549.0

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Is it easy to see water in the filter? What is to stop you leaving in the original if it all looks clear?

I haven't changed mine yet (40k+) and I am a little concerned about leaving it too late but having a filter on hand and just inspecting it seems to me like a good idea so long as it's obvious that it is contaminated (or not).

I am fairly sure the book in our feb 2008 CRDi had 60K intervals for Fuel filter and it changed to 30K soon after... We got ours done at 60K not that long before we traded it.. (never had a problem)  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I searched on the net to see what all this is about and I must say that the consensus of opinion regarding water in fuel is very very bad and to be avoided at all costs. Apparantely, damage occurs in the injectors and fuel pump due to lack of lubrication and corrosion and costs of $4K to repair are quite common. Basically, water in fuel is death for your engine.

Truckies use specially heated filters to make sure this does not occur. Why don't Hyundai put glass on their filters so we can check and a drain plug to allow testing / draining of any water collected.

This is where extended warranty comes back to bite you because, you're forced to be ripped off for the cost of the filter and servicing without knowing if the filter needs replacing at all. Most people without fuel problems have reported that thier filters looked fine after lengthy periods of use.

BTW did you know that the filter catches particles as small as 10 microns, that is the size of 1 grain of talcum powder  :exclaim: :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I dare say that most non dealer service centres will still stamp your book to say that the service was performed regardless.....

Thus you can extend the filter if you like, and no one will know.

If the filter does get water in it, there is the sensor, change the filter and all is good.

Good to see someone else going for the non genuine filter at nearly 1/3 of the price.....

Excellent write up's, even I could follow them (if I didn't need that stamp). Though I have discovered that the services get performed on time if I get someone else to do them....

As for voiding your warranty, I would think that there would be some argument, that Hyundai would have to prove that you didn't conduct the service in a competent manner before they could void your warranty.  Your evidence of purchase of products, and the pictures of doing it (all digital cameras seem to date stamp these days) would more than likely be sufficient. Like in any non genuine part/service centre etc, the onus would be on the good people at Hyundai to prove that whatever you did was the cause of the fault.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
By what I've read here warranty claims are not that frequent, so is the inflated servicing actually going to save you money, who knows. I would say that if a warranty situation developed and a layperson not trained on mechanics or their particular vehicles performed the work, they would have a strong case to reject your claim. If you wanted to defend your claim it would be too expensive legally in my opinion. Both my I30's are warranty covered and I have to decide on who will service them as non have been serviced yet.  :sweating:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They would only have a strong case if the work conducted was not up to standard. For example, they couldn't void your warranty because you did the 15000 service and the auto blew up.

If you did the 15000 service and used the wrong oil, you would be in a world of hurt! There would need to be some evidence of negligence on your part and believe me, in small claims court it will cost them a lot more than it costs you......

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Beerman

I hope you're not speaking from experience.  :whistler:

Pip
I searched on the net to see what all this is about and I must say that the consensus of opinion regarding water in fuel is very very bad and to be avoided at all costs. Apparently, damage occurs in the injectors and fuel pump due to lack of lubrication and corrosion and costs of $4K to repair are quite common. Basically, water in fuel is death for your engine.
Surely this is why we have a filter. I mean the filter ought be effective at removing any water whether it is changed or not each nominated period. It will also remove any solid particles like algae.

The filter, I'm guessing, really only needs to be changed if it becomes contaminated sufficiently to restrict the flow or is in danger of passing contaminants. If there is water in it then you need to be alerted to the possibility of water in the tank. I assume again that is why there is sensor and a warning light.

In normal use with clean fuel the filter could last forever.

The bottom line for replacing is probably just insuring you are covered if in the event something in the fuel system failed during the warranty period.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Can't read the contents.  :blubber:
The screen shows "We're sorry, but XXX@xxxx.com does not have access to this document." :blubber:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pip

I agree entirely with what you state.

My point is that whatever the circumstance, if water gets past the filter, prepare for some expensive repairs.

In fact I raised the point about tank contamination in another post 12 hrs ago. However, if the filter had a visual indicator eg glass case, then inspection would become routine by the driver and no unnecessary replacement (& cost) would be needed. I wouldn't mind if the original filters were not such a high profit item and the labor charge was fair.  :neutral:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Beerman

I hope you're not speaking from experience.  :whistler:

Nope, but if someone has decided to do their own service, that's their decision. I am pointing out that they still have rights that only a negligent act on their part will void.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't read the contents.  :blubber:
The screen shows "We're sorry, but XXX@xxxx.com does not have access to this document." :blubber:

I've sent a PM to Steve R as it appears permission to the document has disappeared
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Steve Roe
Sorry about that permissions issue, should be good to view the document online now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sorry about that permissions issue, should be good to view the document online now.

Thanks M8 .. Awesome  :D

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

(all digital cameras seem to date stamp these days)

On most cameras it will have the facillity to set the date manually, therefore, you can set it to whatever date you want such as a date in the past....

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Unread Posts