i30 Owners Club

ESP OFF after disconnecting battery

Free87 · 28 · 41150

Offline Free87

• 1st Gear
I disconnected the battery in order to safely do some electrical work on my i30. After putting everything back together and starting the car, I noticed the "ESP OFF" light come on and stay on. Toggling the ESP switch does not have any effect upon its operation. Any ideas on how to fix the issue or will I have to see the dealer for it to be resolved?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Easy to fix, just start the car and go for a drive around the block. Turn off the engine and next time you start it, the light should be off... :D

Offline Free87

• 1st Gear
Was just about to post saying that it had resolved itself. Thanks for the tip anyway!  :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline AJPxx

• 1st Gear
I found if you hold the esp button in while you turn on the ignition, (Not to start the engine) after a couple of seconds the esp light goes out, When you release the button the light comes on briefly then goes off again, Sorted.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I found if you hold the esp button in while you turn on the ignition, (Not to start the engine) after a couple of seconds the esp light goes out, When you release the button the light comes on briefly then goes off again, Sorted.

More good info. thanks AJP.

But tell me. How the hell did you discover that?

BTW. Welcome to the forum.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AJPxx

• 1st Gear
Have since found this.

Official Handbook Version: Driving your vehicle 5/26

After reconnecting or recharging a discharged battery, the ESP OFF indicator may illuminate. In this case, turn the steering wheel 360 degrees to the left and 360 degrees to the right whilst the ignition switch is in the ON position. Then , restart the engine after the ignition is off. If the ESP OFF indicator does not turn off, have the system checked by a HYUNDAI authorised repairer as soon as possible.

Offline AJPxx

• 1st Gear

More good info. thanks AJP.

But tell me. How the hell did you discover that?

BTW. Welcome to the forum.

Don't know really surferdude just a feeling & thanks for the welcome to this great site.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have since found this.

After reconnecting or recharging a discharged battery, the ESP OFF indicator may illuminate. In this case, turn the steering wheel 360 degrees to the left and 360 degrees to the right whilst the ignition switch is in the ON position. Then , restart the engine after the ignition is off. If the ESP OFF indicator does not turn off, have the system checked by a HYUNDAI authorised repairer as soon as possible.

There is no way that I would be able to turn the wheel left then right without the engine RUNNING.

I do eat spinach but I don't have the strength of Popeye   :sweating:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have since found this.

There is no way that I would be able to turn the wheel left then right without the engine RUNNING.

If the ign is ON then electric power steer is also on isn't it.

GROAN, Think of the steering components, I'm always telling the wife NOT to turn the wheel without the car rolling.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have since found this.

GROAN, Think of the steering components, I'm always telling the wife NOT to turn the wheel without the car rolling.  :disapp:

That's what I thought too but the power steering on mine DOES NOT operate until the engine is running.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So how do you comply with the book then. :question:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So how do you comply with the book then. :question:

I've not needed to. Yet.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I haven't needed to yet, but if battery disconnection is required, I keep power on with an (alarm battery & battery charger if necessary) for car battery swapping, so nothing needs to be reset. Must remember that all electrics are still active though, so no shorts.  :scared:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have since found this.

Not on mine.
Isn't this the same for all i30's as it only works when engine running?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Have since found this.

Not on mine.
Isn't this the same for all i30's as it only works when engine running?

It's a fair question. And one which I'd like to know the answer to.
One of the "benefits" of electronic power steering is supposed to be the safety aspect of not needing engine power to provide the pump pressure. But I've tried mine with the ignition on both accesory and ignition on (all the lights on the dash lit up). But no power steering.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It would be interesting to see just when ps becomes effective, ie pressure on the steering wheel & start engine at the same time. :neutral:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It would be interesting to see just when ps becomes effective, ie pressure on the steering wheel & start engine at the same time. :neutral:

I've done that. been on a hill facing downhill and jumped in, turned on the engine put it in first and driven off. Takes a second or two before the power steering is available. Not a problem now I'm aware of it.

Same thing happens on my driveway which has a gentle slope down to the road. Start up and I don't need reverse, just let the car roll back onto the road with my foot covering the brake. As I start to roll back, I need to take a very slight right hand down on th ewheel. Often I can beat the PS.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd say it's controlled by the ECU. Probably senses Volt increase from alternator output, which would work for both petrol / diesel engines.  :neutral:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't think we doubted it was in the handbook. But I defy anyone to turn their steering wheel a full turn, then two turns back the other way, then one back to centre, without the power steering in operation.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Just a thought, how hard would it be to do, if it was jacked UP off the ground.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just a thought, how hard would it be to do, if it was jacked UP off the ground.  :neutral:

Not hard at all ...  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Are you speaking from experience and

are we talking about the same thing, or have you wandered WAY off topic.  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
...as was going to say "as the vicar said to the nun..." but thought better of it.. :P

Your idea sounds reasonable to me although from other's experience it sounds like that is not necessary (there are easier ways to reset it) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Are you speaking from experience and

are we talking about the same thing, or have you wandered WAY off topic.  :rofl:

I was going to say, we haven't gone off topic. Then I re-read Dazz's post above. :-[
It's interesting isn't it.
The handbook tells you how to reset the ESP by doing something which would be a physical impossibility for most of us and extremely detrimental to all the associated steering components (most wouldn't have the means to safely jack up both front wheels at the same time), whereas all they needed to say was what Rusty said right at the beginning.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
The instructions state to RE-START the engine after turning the steering wheel each way  with the engine on ............. i.e. AND RUNNING.

Isn't the clue in the words "engine on" (not ignition on)  and  "re-start the engine" ?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The instructions state to RE-START the engine after turning the steering wheel each way  with the engine on ............. i.e. AND RUNNING.

Isn't the clue in the words "engine on" (not ignition on)  and  "re-start the engine" ?

I think you might be right. That makes sense.
And the "drive around the block" would be having the same effect.

Resolved. :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal