i30 Owners Club

Chip Tuning (Again)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
At the risk of offending others who have claimed exceptional economy, I would like to invite discussion on the merits / or not, of these devices.

Looking on the net at what's on offer, there seems to be claims made that -

1. You will get more power / torque

2. You will achieve better fuel economy

Frankly, I find it difficult to believe that you can have more power & use less fuel at the same time.

The only way to do this would be to make some astounding improvements to the engine efficiency. There would be a group of technicians at Hyundai whose job that would be.

I note as a matter of interest, the new I30 diesel engine of the same capacity has 128 bhp up from 115, so that's the best Hyundai can do.

So you see that the claims of +40% power, -20% fuel consumption leave me a bit sceptical.

Here is the link to just 1 of these devices.

http://www.chiptunning.eu/lang-en/hyundai/435-chiptuning-hyundai-i30-i6-crdi-115-hp.html

I want to be completely open minded about this and if you've got one and it works, I'd like to know. I promise I won't disbelieve you. But I would like to know which one & what the cost is.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey Phil.. Nicely worded post  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Dazzler

Thank you.

Last week's discussion on this subject ended sadly if you remember, with what I believe were unnecessary remarks about this forum, (not about me). I am genuinely interested in this topic because if the credibility can be verified, then there are significant gains for ALL diesel owners,,, if the price of the device is right.  :)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I suspect it's like anything, you can't use the extra power and expect to get better fuel economy, it's either one or the other.

Some chip tuning sites actually say that you'll get better economy if you don't change your driving style after fitting the chip.....

I note as a matter of interest, the new I30 diesel engine of the same capacity has 128 bhp up from 115, so that's the best Hyundai can do.

I'm sure that's not the best they can do.....

They only need to increase power enough to keep things in line with other manufacturers while keeping enough in reserve so they can do incremental increases throughout the rest of the model life.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
In my dim, dark, pre-i30 days, I used to drive a V8 Commodore.  With that car, you could get the chip "tuned" to give you what you wanted.  More power, more torque, more low down torque, better fuel economy, etc.  Or a mixture of all of these things.

You can programme an engine to give you more power, torque and economy than the "out of the box" engine, but there is a cost.  The car manufacturers program the chip to give the best all round performance, and RELIABILITY.  They want the engine to last!!  Once you start changing the settings, you may reduce the reliability and longevity of the engine.

Personally, I wouldn't change the factory settings of my i30, my Commodore though, had been modified to give better performance, but it did have a Cold Air Intake, cat-back extractors, lowered, etc.  On the open road I would often get 9l/100km, and that was with 250+kw and 450+nm of torque.  Oh, and my Commodore was out of warranty.

Just my two cents.

FatBoy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well said Jamie.. a few others have said similar things but you covered it in just a couple of paragraphs  :goodjob:

I think Hyundai have got it just about right in the latest 6 speed CRDi by the sound of it  :happydance: (without the need for a chip)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Look, I'll tell you this. My previous i30 was chip tuned (quality ecu remap) from 90 hp to approx 115 hp. It really was much more power and much better torque. But when it comes to fuel economy it's like this.. It CAN be lower, but it usually isn't. The car has more power and struggles less when you are accelerating. It usually accelerates quickly and then you can keep driving with desired speed.

BUT, what happened with my i30. At first I was driving it about the same (but for very short time) and I think the fuel consumption was a bit better (but maybe 0,1-0,2 lit/100 km). Soon I started driving it faster (because it can go faster) and the fuel economy was about the same or little bit higher, and after a while, I started driving it "much" faster so the fuel economy in the end (diesel) was around 6,5-6,6 lit/100 km  :lol: So went from 5,3-5,5 to 5,8-6,0 and then 6,0-6,6  :)

Now, thanks to the owner "neoto" I got information, that current i30's (face lifted models at least) can't be chip tuned (ecu remap) that easily for now - or maybe ever. You must do some physical changes to it, before it was just - plug, set the parameters and "play". They have new Bosch ECU's (Bosch EDC17) which are much better protected against these kind of actions. So this time, I went for the stock 116hp 6-speed version.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 13:29:31 by accim »

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
The main question I have regarding tuning and fuel consumption - Would there be any difference if I drive 90% of time constantly in the 6th gear? When I ask this question to the 'tuning chip' dealers, I don't get any response from there anymore. It's weird...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The main question I have regarding tuning and fuel consumption - Would there be any difference if I drive 90% of time constantly in the 6th gear? When I ask this question to the 'tuning chip' dealers, I don't get any response from there anymore. It's weird...

Sounds like you need to put our foot down  :whistler: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks everyone, for your replies.

Looks like chip tuning has some merit, but much less than what is claimed by the manufacturers. Even then, you have to decide whether to use the increased power or drive for economy.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi Phil, I installed a tuning chip in January this year in my 2010 1.6CW CRDi auto wagon. The unit cost $108 from Germany and was a straight "in-line' installation. Easy to install and easy to remove.

I have definately noticed an improvment in power and acceleration at both low speed (in city traffic) and high spped (highway overtaking). The response of the motor is both smooth and nippy when I give it a punch. In fact, it is a very reassuring feeling knowing that the car has the ability to really get moving when needed.

As far as fuel consumption goes, I can honestly say that I have not noticed either an improvment or decrease in economy. I have always got between 6.6 and 7.4 l/100km depending on what type of driving (city/highway) that I do. I don't drive like a grandma or a hoon but do like to use the car's ability to get me where I'm going without wasting time.

My recommendation would be to give it a go and see if you think it's as good as I say and if you're not happy, simply remove it and sell it on the forum or ebay.

Here is the ebay site that I purchased mine from
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hyundai-I30-1-6-CRDi-116BHP-Chip-tuning-power-box-/200557400618?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb227122a
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
I am using the "ASA Autotechnik ECO CR mit Bosch 1 adapter" and paid 99GBP posted to me in Australia. I purchased that on 09/01/2010 and have been using it ever since.I am also currently upto ~65,000km.

I found that as above, it gives the better lower kick and makes the car feel more powerful or atleast take off the line faster. I have driven without the tuning box as well, when I take the car for servicing, and I find that it loses that low kick and seems like it takes longer before the power comes to the wheels, its also a little dangerous going from tuning box to no tuning box as you think that the power will be there but there is alot longer time before the power hits the wheels.

I have no idea why the i30 doesn't come tuned like this to start with!

Fuel economy wise, I used to get about 4.7-4.9L/100km and now I still get around the 4.7-4.9L/100km range [even balance of highway and city], I do not drive anything like a granny and the only other modifications I have done are changing the air filter to a K&N panel filter and a lukey free flowing exhaust. I also only use Caltex Premium diesel as BP diesel makes a more rattley sound and seems to not be as smooth.

Other than that, I notice some white smoke on start up, but that is there even without the tuning box and I also notice that there is some smoke on heavy acceleration from stationary (not alot of smoke, just enough that I see it the smoke in the headlights of the car behind me, but when I asked my sister if she saw any smoke when she was in the car behind, she says no)

I find that the tuning box has been a great investment for me, but regardless of this, I still take it off when I go to get my i30 serviced.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
waja

Thanks, this is what I was looking for, people who have taken the plunge and can verify their actions with some historical data. You seem to verify previous statements that fuel economy is not greatly affected but performance boost is noticable.  :goodjob:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
$500 spider in a U2 motor

default performance is subtly different, but I'll start tweaking it

fuel performance no measurable difference

I'm keeping the car for a decade so it's worth it for that, short term probably not
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

$500 spider in a U2 motor

default performance is subtly different, but I'll start tweaking it

fuel performance no measurable difference

I'm keeping the car for a decade so it's worth it for that, short term probably not

Thanks.. keep the feedback coming please.. :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I've ordered the same one as UM. It's in transit from the land of Erich von Stalhein.  :neutral:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I've ordered the same one as UM. It's in transit from the land of Erich von Stalhein.  :neutral:

I'm sure you'll be happy with it 84
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOLZ i bought a chip... does nothing IMHO...

seriously i think it needs to be put on a dyno to see the difference...

unless im just too much of a non-beliver!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It's a pity you can't see the extra power & torque in a different colour, then you'd know what it is doing. I think I am geting better fuel economy, but it's too soon to tell yet.

Offline Wilverine

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
In reply as to why a Manufacturer would not tune the car as standard it is I believe as per below (borrowed from Chip on Passionford.com)

"One of the key factors with modern diesel engines is the injection timing, which is essentially the same as ignition timing on a petrol engine.

To avoid NOX values falling outside of the parameters they are allowed within when selling a new car the manufacturers often have to retard the injector timing to stop the diesel burning fully as NOx emissions tend to happen in the later stages of burn.

By advancing the timing back to where the manufacturer would have liked to have put it if their hands werent tied by legislation, it can normally improve both power and economy without a need to raise boost pressure.

Some remaps then also introduce a little more boost as well"

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hi ho Wilverine & welcome to this forum.

The diesel already has an EGR valve to reduce NOX emissions, as you say, maybe even with this valve injection retarding may also be necessary. A good point has been raised elsewhere about voiding your insurance because it's an engine modification.

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
my insurer has a box to tick under modifications called computer chip, so it's sweet
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
LOLZ i bought a chip... does nothing IMHO...

seriously i think it needs to be put on a dyno to see the difference...

unless im just too much of a non-beliver!

i agree but make sure its a conservative Dyno, not a Dyno Dynamics

i've read all the posts & read what Alan said.

i'm happy with how the CRDi 6 speed goes as it comes seems to improve with age.
i think if i wanted more i'd get LPG injection. but won't happen.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 19:02:16 by Lakes »

Offline Crunchtime

• 1st Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I've "chiptuned" my I30 through software upgrades. Power is higher and consumption is lower. It purely depends on how I drive it. The company that made the modification clearly said so aswell. "Your fuel consumption will be lower, if you drive it properly. You'll notice the power increase, at the cost of the consumption."

Xamaxy
It's a pity you can't see the extra power & torque in a different colour, then you'd know what it is doing. I think I am geting better fuel economy, but it's too soon to tell yet.

You chip tuned your i30? And getting better economy?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That is what it seems to indicate, however, actual fuel used vs distance travelled highlighted a discrepancy in the last tank, so for me, the jury's out at the moment. However, my theory is that although torque & power are supposed to have been increased, by driving conservatively I ask the engine to do less revs with earlier change points (auto) and don't use the extra power unless I need to.  :neutral:

Xamaxy
Thats the whole point of 20% chip tuning!
Drive normally and you get better economy + when you need to overtake or accelerate faster for any reason you have that nice extra power.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Exactly.  :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I can understand how a Diesel Tunner making a map then testing the tune on a dyno to increase power & Torque works.

But the tuning box that just plugs into the common rail could not control the ECU or does it? i'm not claiming to know just asking.
i'm thinking the box plugged into the common rail would be just to try to raise fuel pressure in common rail. i'm thinking a change to larger injectors could increase this effect.
i have watched flow testing of injectors & trying to increase flow, but some injectors have a limit, then you need to go up to an injector that flows more fuel. this does not mean more fuel useage, sometimes this is unchanged sometimes you use more. too many variables like not just how you drive but were and how many in car how much weight & so on.
good discusion

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal