i30 Owners Club

Fuel Usage Questions

mjt57 · 330 · 92329

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I pick up a new CRDi SLX 6sp manual this week, hopefully. I've been reading these forums with much interest, too.

As it will be my first diesel, it's all new to me. So, I have a few questions.

The tank is 53l according to the brochures. When does the fuel light come on? ie. at what litres remaining?

What can I expect from a first drive til the light comes on?

How accurate are the "distance to empty" and "l/100km" readings on the trip computer?

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome mjt57 (Great choice of model and transmission)  :goodjob:

The official Fuel tank capacity is 53 Litres, however some of our members have got around 60 ltrs in from dead empty as the fuel filler neck is quite long..

There is somewhere between 80 and 130Kms remaining when the light comes on (depending on your driving..) I think in most cases you would be safe to do 100kms (but don't hold me to it)

As for what you will get out of the first tank before the light comes on I predict about 800 kms as if dealer fills the tank I doubt they will top it up and you will probably use some extra fuel while you get used to driving a diesel (and economy does usually improve after a few 1000kms..

Enjoy your great new car  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
i have had my i30, same as yours, CRDi 6 speed for just on 10,000km now,  the first tank only got me 300km, as it was only 1/4 full when the dealer gave it to me (tightarses) but now regularly get 900 km to a tank with 100Km to empty on the computer.   the light usually comes on when there is about 100km to go to empty, and i usually fill up when the light comes on when its convenient, sometimes i only get 45 ltrs in, and other times over 53ltrs!  depends on how much the fuel foams up in the filler tube and clicks the pump off. 

once you get below 50km distance to empty, the DTE will flash a dashed line,  sometimes i will keep driving till i get to below 50km to empty just to see the trip meter tick over 1000km from that tanks for shits and giggles.  so i would safely assume the DTE gauge is accurate enough to not get you into trouble. 

when i do fill the tank, the DTE will only show about 900km, but as you drive, it does change. eg, i reset the trip meter to 0, the DTE will show 900.  after 300km on the trip meter, the DTE will show 750.

also. being a diesel, i have seen the steady improvement in economy from new to 10,000km,  first few tanks average 5.4, now its 5.0 to 5.1and always seaming to improve with every tank and the fact im now 100 used to driving a diesel now as opposed to a big turbo Subaru petrol engine.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Thanks for the links. Some good info on them.

However, I must say that going by what some people are getting into their tanks either Hyundai is conservative with its specs (fuel tank capacity) or that the filler pipe is HUGE...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

However, I must say that going by what some people are getting into their tanks either Hyundai is conservative with its specs (fuel tank capacity) or that the filler pipe is HUGE...

and we have seen proof of 60 Ltr plus fills...(I think the most I ever got in our CRDi was about 56 ltrs from memory but I'm not very patient... :whistler:)

Offline kickininthefrontseat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle NSW
59.7 L this morning, probably spilled 50ml ;-)

81km after fuel light came on getting 5.5l/100km
  • White 2011 CRDi 6sp man sx + spider

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sounds pretty good to me.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very interesting  :razz:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Second fill on Sunday. The fuel light came on. Shortly afterwards I put 43l into it, stopping it at the first click.

DTE said that there was about 100 kays to go. Distance for this tank was 680 km.

I use an Android app on my phone called Acar to record fuel and service history on my vehicles. According to it I'm getting around 6.3l/100 km. Previous fill suggested 6.4l/100km. So, after 5 fills I should be on track to record sub-6l economy...

:-]

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
A lot of people on the site, including me, always fill to the brim, not the 1st click.  :neutral:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
A lot of people on the site, including me, always fill to the brim, not the 1st click.  :neutral:
Never really been a big fan of doing that. Years ago when they started putting anti-pollution gear on cars, a lot of them had pipes and things going back to the tank. Overfilling the tank would often interfere with the equipment.

I'll stick with the "1st click" method for now. I can't see what overfilling it achieves other than to perhaps get a few more kays out of a tank.

I see similar stuff on bikes. Guys will sit on their bikes and fill it to the brim with the bike sitting upright (for those without centre stands). They risk losing their balance and spilling fuel everywhere, particularly down their crotch. And the net benefit is about half a litre...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
... And the net benefit is about half a litre...

Unlike the 10 or so litres benefit that fits in the i30 tank after first click off!!! If you like more frequent trips to the servo, knock yourself out  :)  Each to his own I guess...

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
I use an Android app on my phone called Acar to record fuel and service history on my vehicles. According to it I'm getting around 6.3l/100 km. Previous fill suggested 6.4l/100km. So, after 5 fills I should be on track to record sub-6l economy...

aCar is a nice app  :P
Have been using the same from the moment I bought the car 13.5 months ago. I'm down to 5.4l/100km on the 44 Fill-Ups since day 1 but on the last 3 months I'm on 5.05l/100km  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

... And the net benefit is about half a litre...

Unlike the 10 or so litres benefit that fits in the i30 tank after first click off!!! If you like more frequent trips to the servo, knock yourself out  :)  Each to his own I guess...

:rofl:  (I thought someone would post something like that...)  :D

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

If you like more frequent trips to the servo, knock yourself out  :)  Each to his own I guess...

Refueling every two weeks at the moment. I doubt that the extra 10 l (claimed) would make much of a difference to me, except that from what I've been reading, you risk blowback and foaming. Not sure that I want to either get covered in diesel, which doesn't exactly smell like Chanel No. 5, or to have it running down the side of the car.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This is of course true. I haven't had that happen yet and foaming is a nuisance. Not good if someone else wants your pump either.

Meehalych posted some fuel system pics some time ago on an unrelated request I made. The filler pipe travels down and along the car to the front of the fuel tank & I think it would hold about 4l on it's own.

I hate filling up & where I fill is about 25ks from home so I fill to the brim & some gets burnt off climbing 550 metres & driving home.  :neutral:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I have read on other forums that you shouldn't fill to the brim on any car UNLESS you plan to drive a significant distance straight away.  If I remembered correctly, they recommended at least 50km (although 84's 25km with a decent climb would do the same IMO).  Thermal expansion of the fuel can (and does) cause significant damage to fuel tanks if there is no air pocket to take up the expansion (or contraction).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You're correct of course. I'm mindful of the ambient temp and the feel of the temp of underground storage, also our car is parked in shade at home. BTW in aviation, what margin is allowed for the same thing when filling.  :question:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Depends on the aircraft type and design of the tanks.  For example, the last aircraft I flew you couldn't get more fuel into it than 3800lbs, even though the tank would hold about 4000lbs.  It was pressure refuelled, so when the sensor said it was full, then it was full and cut flow.  The tanks also had an air vent that went overboard.  On smaller aircraft, the design will prevent you filling the tank totally (even with gravity fill), unless you put the aircraft on it's side and fill to the brim.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
  The tanks also had an air vent that went overboard.  On smaller aircraft, the design will prevent you filling the tank totally (even with gravity fill), unless you put the aircraft on it's side and fill to the brim.

Yeah, ruptured tank in flight would get your attention I'd say.  :Shocked:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have read on other forums that you shouldn't fill to the brim on any car UNLESS you plan to drive a significant distance straight away.  If I remembered correctly, they recommended at least 50km (although 84's 25km with a decent climb would do the same IMO).  Thermal expansion of the fuel can (and does) cause significant damage to fuel tanks if there is no air pocket to take up the expansion (or contraction).

Apparently because of the nature of diesel fuel it doesn't expand and contract to anywhere near the extent of Petrol... :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Y

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't know Y (without googling it)

I did a quick google which suggests it still expands (Maybe not as much as unleaded though)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

and we have seen proof of 60 Ltr plus fills...(I think the most I ever got in our CRDi was about 56 ltrs from memory but I'm not very patient... :whistler:)

The biggest fill for me was 63.55 litres  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

The biggest fill for me was 63.55 litres  :)

M8 the most i get filling to the top is 57 & once 58, this is my second i30 CRDi & both same, i'm thinking your servo is happy with there fuel expantion settings or something. i think it would be a good idea to get  a 10 or 20 L container that has measurement marked clearly and do a check on there pump for accuracy.
 also what does your trip pc say for average L /100K? mine is showing 5.1L /100K if my fuel light comes on on average the most i would drive with it on would be around 40K but once did 100k in the bush driving very easy. & i've never got more in than 58L @ the most to the very top every time.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I've had several over 60 litre fills from various service stations so it's not an individual pump accuracy issue.
My usual trip computer reading is around 6.2 l/100 kms.
Dave
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 23:44:16 by db08 »
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I guess in some countries where there are deserts to drive through / over / around it's important to keep a full tank as garages are not so abundant but here in crowded UK, even after thousands of smaller indy garages have shut, it's easy to find a fill-up place 24 / 7.

So I never stick more than 35 litres in, no point lugging another 30 litres or so around for the ride, man that stuff is heavy & costs money to carry around lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I guess in some countries where there are deserts to drive through / over / around it's important to keep a full tank as garages are not so abundant but here in crowded UK, even after thousands of smaller indy garages have shut, it's easy to find a fill-up place 24 / 7.

So I never stick more than 35 litres in, no point lugging another 30 litres or so around for the ride, man that stuff is heavy & costs money to carry around lol!

30 litres at a Specific Gravity 0.82 - 0.95 means an extra 24 - 28 kgs, man I've had bigger bowel movements than that!!  :P

Honestly though, I haven't really noticed the difference in fuel consumption from a full tank to a nearly empty tank.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal