i30 Owners Club

HD install

Mullet · 24 · 11395

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Hey guys not to sure if it counts as a mod but today i bought from hardly normal a western digital 120 gig usb portable hard drive . Got home loaded it up with mp3's and pluged it in , hey away we went that simple . No formatting nothing  :D .
Model 1200e1ms-00 $98 . Fits nicely in the centre console and even has the same blue colour led light as the i30 cockpit .

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds great!

Does it draw power from the USB socket?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Yep power is from the usb plug . 120 GB of music , I should be able to travel across the counrty and back and not hear the same song twice . Now to work out the fuel economy on that trip  ;)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hey, That's interesting I bought a WD 120 GB ext hard-drive from Office Works a month or two ago for around the same price...it appears to be a slightly different model (I'll have to give it a try)  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Congrats on the 'mod'!  :D

Thought I'd give someone else a chance to comment on a mod for their i30, otherwise I'll be stealing all the thunder!  :lol:

Only problem you'll have is deciding what to listen to! (I just hold down the random button until it beeps, so it will randomly play everything on the HD, instead of just randomly playing everything in the current folder.) Makes for an interesting trip.

I also love how the i30 remembers what you last played, continuing from the last song next time you start the engine. (Almost all of the MP3 players I have seen will restart from the top of the file list every time power is restored.)

You'll find that the more MP3/WMA files you have, the longer the stereo takes for the first 'read' when powering up. Mine takes roughly 30 seconds to index the entire HD. (115GB on there now)

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Hardly Normal didn't have any 120gb left so i got a 160gb for $116.

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Went for a run today with the hard drive installed . Had it playering all the time . Thought id check how warm it was sitting in the center consoul . Wanst even warm so that was good as i had concerns of it getting hot due to no ventalation . What does annoy me though with the huge amount of songs all in there own folders it takes a while to sort through to get to the cd / track you want . Is there another way and is this how it would read from an ipod? I mean it would be better if i cound brouse by folder and not have to go through ever track in every folder.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Mullet,

Haven't tried this with a hard-drive but works with USB and CD... I found out by accident that if you turn the right hand (tune) knob while the music is playing you can flick very quickly through the files on screen. When one comes up you want to play you just push the button in and it selects that track instantly ( I might be barking up the wrong tree... and you might all already know this)

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Yeah i know tat thanks any ways . What i would like is to flick through the folders would be quicker . Oh well .

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
SLX stereo, you just press the folder up/folder down button to scroll through folders. If you wish to start playing files in that folder, then just press the tune knob in.

Each time you hit the folder button, it will show you the 'first' file in that folder. (Folder is above the song name, slightly smaller.

I'll grab a shot of it, give me a second.........

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, first picture is of current folder, with current song playing. (In this instance, the 'Techno' folder with a remix of 'Jam And Spoon' playing.)

NOTE: When time is displayed, it is the current playing song.

Second picture is of the folder view (Whilst the previous song is still playing)  You need to press the 'FLDR' button (Either up or down) to select the 'Folder View' mode. (Current song is still playing in the background) Displayed folder is now the next folder on your storage device. Displayed song is the first song in that folder.

Use the 'Tune' knob to scroll through the displayed songs by turning it either way. Once you find the song you wish to play, push the knob in gently.

NOTE: Instead of time being displayed, there is a file number.

Now, for the random button. Press once to randomly play all files in the current folder. Press and hold the RDM button until you hear a beep. It will then randomly play all file on the storage device.

Hope this helps.  8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Thumper...

Love your taste in Mods, and your skill in fitting them, your postings and assistance with queries is timely and much appreciated ...

But from what I can see your taste in music is shit (sorry)  :lol:

Dazz

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Just because he's not into ABBA or The Village People like you Dazz  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not even close! Got two Daughters one is 11 and one is 21 they keep me up to date with the latest hits (which I combine with old favourites) but not that old!

Offline Mullet

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
Thanks Thumper all is clearer now . Oh and im with you on the music .Armin Van Buuren for ever.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey Thumper,

Sorry... says Darryl with his arm twisted up behind his back by his wife (should have kept my mouth shut!)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
You guys dont wanna see my taste in music
grew up listening to country (damn parents liking 2ws) then listened to mainstream for a bit (when eminem was reall at the forefront) now i have mainly techno/house and hiphop/rnb and some rap with weird odd random songs thrown in for good measure

back in the oven for 2 hours and your done!!

mainly listen to the techno/rnb tho (ultimate nrg 3 is an awsome mix of songs)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Just need to install this little item, then I'll be 'Thumping'  :mrgreen:

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
how many db you looking to get from that mate? my old rodeo ute had a single 12' and had over 120db (yay space cab)

at the moment i have
monoblock at 1 ohm
2 12' fusion subs
infinity splits
fusion rear speakers
4 channel 1k watt amp
sub box

been considering the install, let me know how you go with the headunit and all your wiring, would be very interested in where you run cables and how you hook it all in to the headunit

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Not sure on response (Box is right at the limit for the smallest size you can go for the sub, sealed.)

Just looking at providing more bottom end. Not interested in rattling windows and setting off car alarms at 500 paces!  :?

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
could allways run it up under the floor on the passenger side :)

probably best way, as long as the cables arent too thick you shouldnt notice them at all.

im just hoping there is a sub out or something similar for the stock H.U

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Yeah, if I can't find any line outputs, then I'll need to get a speaker to line level converter. (I think I have one of them laying about, somewhere) use one of the rear channels (In the rear door) to feed the amp.

Dirty, crude, it should do the job.  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal