i30 Owners Club

Bluetooth dongles for diagnostics

Lakes · 35 · 13353

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Steve does it just hook up via bluetooth without having to plug anything into the OBD port?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Steve does it just hook up via bluetooth without having to plug anything into the OBD port?
No, the dongle is a bluetooth transmitter which plugs into the OBD port and you connect to it from your receiver (my phone)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thank you just order one on ebay $19  did not know they were around i was going to buy a scan gauge but this is heaps cheaper
much cheaper than my scangauge II.  :faint:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi again Steve, can i see a pic of what your phone shows you when it links to OBD port?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
BTW. Where is the OBD port connection in a petrol i30?
And how do we know which connector to use.
The scantools we have at work come with about 6 adaptors for different makes of cars.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi again Steve, can i see a pic of what your phone shows you when it links to OBD port?
Hi John

The Android app I use is called Torque Free and it can have many many screens showing all kinds of user-defined info in a variety of ways (analogue dials, digital displays etc).  The "Pro" version costs a couple of pounds and is far superior, apparently, but I wouldn't need the full range of extras.

I'll plug it in later and take some screenies. Then I'll take a couple from the RAV which shows me reading and resetting a DTC code.

Description
Measure vehicle BHP & Torque
Clear car OBD DTC faults,
View data in Google Earth

See what your car is doing in realtime, get fault codes, sensor data and more!

An OBD II engine ECU diagnostics tool that uses a cheap bluetooth ELM / OBD adapter to connect to your car OBD2 engine management system

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi John

The Android app I use is called Torque Free and it can have many many screens showing all kinds of user-defined info in a variety of ways (analogue dials, digital displays etc).  The "Pro" version costs a couple of pounds and is far superior, apparently, but I wouldn't need the full range of extras.

I'll plug it in later and take some screenies. Then I'll take a couple from the RAV which shows me reading and resetting a DTC code.

Description
Measure vehicle BHP & Torque
Clear car OBD DTC faults,
View data in Google Earth

See what your car is doing in realtime, get fault codes, sensor data and more!

An OBD II engine ECU diagnostics tool that uses a cheap bluetooth ELM / OBD adapter to connect to your car OBD2 engine management system

MMMmmm now this looks quite interesting, do you leave the OBD doda perminantly plugged in (except when it's going for service)...   Also, there must be something similar for the iPhone I guess

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
MMMmmm now this looks quite interesting, do you leave the OBD doda perminantly plugged in (except when it's going for service)...   Also, there must be something similar for the iPhone I guess

No it's not left plugged in, tho it is actually still plugged into our RAV4 ('cos I forgot to remove it)

You simply get on your knees, feel for the insertion point, and go for it. Kinda like... errr... no let's not go there.

Seeing the Android app is free it's definitely been a worthwhile purchase, given that the app seems to cover most modern cars.

Pretty sure iphone will have something similar (or better) for free

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No, the dongle is a bluetooth transmitter which plugs into the OBD port and you connect to it from your receiver (my phone)

Do you have a link to the device you purchased. I've looked, and there are a few types, not sure if they can all do the job. Looks like some come with a mini cd with drivers, I presume for PC connection.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you have a link to the device you purchased. I've looked, and there are a few types, not sure if they can all do the job. Looks like some come with a mini cd with drivers, I presume for PC connection.  :neutral:

The CD that came with mine had software for loading onto a laptop (etc) but it was dreadful and would not work. Several other bits of stuff that were on the same CD were simply trial versions of rather expensive packages.

We had a similar discussion about this a couple of years ago (see <here>) and although the eBay links will probably no longer be valid, the devices are still available from a useful source in China:

:link:

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
I bought one in eBay recently, which cost me 18 usd.
 :)

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Hi all

Anymore info or photos of the dongle and where it would be "inserted" ... in the car ? :snigger:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Anymore info or photos of the dongle and where it would be "inserted" ... in the car ? :snigger:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6009.msg109765#msg109765

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Great post, I'll be ordering a dongle soon. It will be interesting to see what info it tells us  :goodjob:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I got mine permanently plugged into the port in front of the pedals. I had to bend the bracket a bit as the ebay unit (orange) is quite long and would get in the way when I drive in work boots. Bending the bracket upwards, then plugging in the adaptor from above the plastic cover by feel did the job. Bit fiddly but your fingers can do the seeing  ;)

There is an other OBD port under the bonnet, they used that at my last service when I asked the shop to check out something for me on the ECU.

Oh yeah, although this unit works well with the android version of Torque, I drove myself semi-insane trying to get it to connect. It paired fine, but would stay disconnected (unlike bluetooth headsets). It connects when you fire up the app, so as long as your phone/tablet says "it's paired" it's good to go.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
So has anyone had much luck with the bluetooth odbII dongle with a jailbroken iphone (since supposedly apple have blocked some bluetooth devices from pairing with a non -jailbroken iphone)

thanks paul

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
supposedly apple have blocked some bluetooth devices from pairing with a non -jailbroken iphone

thanks paul

Very sporting of Apple, need them like a hole in the head.

Anyone found and decent free obdII software for a pc configuration  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
:link:

They seem to have various prices and looks for basically the same devices - which one did you get shambles?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They seem to have various prices and looks for basically the same devices - which one did you get shambles?
They'll probably all do exactly the same thing given they all have the ELM327 chipset.

Without going outside - being a lazy bugger here - and checking the one in my glovebox, I think this is the one I have

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-obd-bluetooth-diagnostic-interface-black-130325?item=4

BUT I would no longer recommend dealextreme (now www.dx.com) as a supplier due to their sales policy of (a) accept order (b) wait 2 weeks (c) ship the order. Poor show on their part and I've let them know in no uncertain terms.

Offline perakharimau

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
Shambles did you use it to erase any CEL lights ?

thats alright im used to places taking ages to actually post the item even though they claim 1 week delivery  :rolleyes:

thanks

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Shambles did you use it to erase any CEL lights ?
Not on my i30, but have done on a RAV4 and a Vauxhall Meriva

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)

Offline eugene188

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      Ottawa, Canada

• MY2011 Elantra Touring, Automatic. Ottawa, Ont. CA
I have been really considering getting one of these things for my car. Can any of you guys comment on if you noticed any car battery drain issues?

I was on the ELM website yesterday and noticed they have a new 1.4b chip, which they say is more frugal on the battery compared to the standard 1.3 version. It was suggested that the widely available 1.3 version be used for occasional diagnosis while the new one be used if you want to leave it in the car. My question is, do you guys notice any battery issues? I'm about to buy one in the next days, but just want to make sure. I don't want to get to my car after 1 week of not driving it to find that the battery is dead.

Thanks!
  • Elantra Touring GL, Automatic

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
I've got an el cheapo ($35AUD) ebay OBDII bluetooth connector to work with torque on android, I haven't tried it on a Hyundai yet, but I can confirm that it works in other makes and models, so much information at your finger tips for only $40, I'd recommend getting one, as even getting fault codes read by a mechanic can cost more than that.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can any of you guys comment on if you noticed any car battery drain issues?

My dongle doesn't draw power until the key is in the ACC(essories) position and won't even let me connect to it (Android) until the engine is actually running.

So I guess that sort of answers your query...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
 :whsaid:

I have the orange ebay thingie, no power drain issues, looks like the unit goes to sleep when the car is off and key out of the ignition.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Will the dongle set up display instant fuel economy on a blutooth device?
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Torque Light does, but it's rubbish, it was telling me somewhere around 80 to 90 l/100 km. I didn't play with the app settings, so it is possible that something in there needs to be changed to be more realistic.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Torque Light does, but it's rubbish, it was telling me somewhere around 80 to 90 l/100 km. I didn't play with the app settings, so it is possible that something in there needs to be changed to be more realistic.
The default "vehicle type" is a 225 Litre Chieftain tank :lol:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The default "vehicle type" is a 225 Litre Chieftain tank

:rofl:

Has to be it. I remember setting the engine size and stuff when I first got it, but the novelty wore off quick and I didn't use it since. The unit is still plugged in though...
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal