i30 Owners Club

Tips on replacing diesel filter?

dham · 21 · 21526

Offline dham

• 1st Gear
The 1.6 CRDi diesel filter (a standard spin-on cartridge) looks very awkward to change.  To me it looks like air intake ducting must be removed for access, filter sensor wires disconnected, fuel lines disconnected (how?) and then filter bracket complete with shroud and cartridge unbolted from bulkhead to allow cartridge to be spun off and new one spun on.   But maybe there is an easier way?   Any tips/observations would be much appreciated.   Certainly the oil filter element is easy to replace!

Offline teamgeorge

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria

• i30 CRDi sx Steel Grey 28/11/08
welcome to the forums,

unfortunately i havn't got my i30 yet and don't have any answers for you. but i'll keep reading cos id be keen to know who aswell.  :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Quote from: "dham"
The 1.6 CRDi diesel filter (a standard spin-on cartridge) looks very awkward to change.  To me it looks like air intake ducting must be removed for access, filter sensor wires disconnected, fuel lines disconnected (how?) and then filter bracket complete with shroud and cartridge unbolted from bulkhead to allow cartridge to be spun off and new one spun on.   But maybe there is an easier way?   Any tips/observations would be much appreciated.   Certainly the oil filter element is easy to replace!

Hi dham

Welcome to the club... I'm sure someone will have the answer.. There are a few good "tech" heads on the site  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Haven't really got a clue as to how to change the filter inside the canister.  However, I have had the whole filter unit replaced before the first service to solve a fuel aeration problem that caused an intermittent rpm limit of 2950rpm.  The service manager said Hyundai allowed 20min for the work to be completed and that was for the whole job.  

I know that the filter becomes more accessible when you remove the plastic shroud from the motor and I would say if you knew what you were doing, then it would be possible to remove the filter without removing the filter unit.

Bob

Offline dham

• 1st Gear
I agree that it might be possible but still don't know how!   Certainly removing engine cover is the first step for all the routine servicing such as oil and oil filter and diesel filter.   But it remains quite squeezy between engine and bulkhead and hard also to access diesel filter from below.   Hopefully someone, somewhere has done it and can advise!   On more 'agricultural' machines (including my old LR Defender) replacing the spin on fiuel filter is the work of a couple of minutes (potential bleeding problems excluded).

For me it is important to be able to change diesel filter without recourse to dealer not only if,  like me, you do your own servicing at more regular intervals than specified, but also if on, for example, a outback trip devoid of dealers you get a bad load of fuel that clogs said filter and requires a filter change to allow onward progress!   With diesels I am therefore a believer in carrying a spare fuel filter if venturing beyond city limits.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i take my Car to an intependent, the owner works on his own and he is also a diesel Tech and very good at what he does.
He made servicing the i30 look easy.
I asked him does he think the fuel filter will be hard to remove, he said it will be easy as he has done similar one's and they are simple to remove if you know what your doing.
when the time comes i'll watch him do it.
then i'll know, i thought myself it looked like was in a tight possition.

Offline TiLlA531

• 2nd Gear
Drain the engine oil.
(1)   
Remove the oil filler cap.
(2)   
Loosen the oil filter cap slowly until its O-ring(C)'s coming out.
Be cautious of oil's overflowing at this moment.
(3)   
Remove the oil drain plug, and drain the oil into a container.
Replace the oil filter(B).
(1)   
Remove the oil filter upper cap(A).
(2)   
Replace the O-ring(C, D) of oil filter cap with a new one.
Inspect the threads and O-ring(C, D). Wipe off the seat on the oil filter cap, then apply a light coat of oil to the oil filter upper cap O-ring(C, D).
(3)   
Install the new oil filter by hand to the upper cap.
(4)   
After the rubber seal seats, tighten the oil filter clockwise.
Tightening torque :
24.5N.m(2.5kgf.m, 18.1lb-ft)
Refill with engine oil.
(1)   
Clean and install the oil drain plug with a new gasket.
Tightening torque :
34.3 ~ 44.1N.m (3.5 ~ 4.5kgf.m, 25.3 ~ 32.5lb-ft)
(2)   
Fill with fresh engine oil.

Fill half amount of total oil first and then do the rest after 1 minute or more.
Oil Capacity
When replacing a short engine or a block assembly - 5.7L(6.02US qt, 5.02lmp qt)
When replacing oil pan only - 4.8L (5.07US qt, 4.22lmp qt)
Drain and refill including oil filter - 5.3L (5.60US qt, 4.66lmp qt)
(3)   
Install the oil filler cap.
Start engine and check for oil leaks.
Recheck the engine oil level.

Have any questions just PM me but TBH its a piece of cake man, Just remove the engine cover (2 10mm bolts) then just yank it off. Then get a 22mm socket ( I think) and undo the filter. Its really easy dont have to remove anything. ;)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Cheers TiLlA531,
that good info on oil filter.

Can you possibly do same for diesel filter?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline dham

• 1st Gear
Hi TiLlA531,

Would also be useful to have link or address of the website with that good info.   I have not been able to find anything like a shop manual online for the i30 diesel.

I agree that changing oil and oil filter is dead easy.

dham

Offline TiLlA531

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "dham"
Hi TiLlA531,

Would also be useful to have link or address of the website with that good info.   I have not been able to find anything like a shop manual online for the i30 diesel.

I agree that changing oil and oil filter is dead easy.

dham

Sorry mate dont have 1, but if you have any questions or want any more info just PM me ;)

Offline TiLlA531

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "eye30"
Cheers TiLlA531,

Mate that is the diesel oil filter, diesel's have a carttridge oil filter and petrol's have a "spin-on" oil filter :)

Pip

I'm interpreting this as "diesel fuel filter"

Pip

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Quote from: "eye30"
Cheers TiLlA531,

I mean the fuel filter.
Sorry if I caused confusion between the hemispheres.

Offline dham

• 1st Gear
OK - have done it!

1.   Remove air duct between airbox (airfilter) and turbo (c/w hose from rocker cover) to make space.
2.   Disconnect both fuel lines to filter (pull out orange catch, push in blue tab, pull off line).
3.   Disconnect all three wiring connections to filter assembly.
4.   Remove the four nuts holding the whole shroud bracket and filter assembly to bulkhead (need a deepish 12mm socket).
5.   Lift out complete filter assembly, unbolt filter from shroud bracket, unscrew filter and replace with new one.
6.   Reverse above process to refit!

Long winded compared to most other diesel filters but not hard to do.

dham

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that... How often is that supposed to be done?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for that... How often is that supposed to be done?

From memory every 2 years/ 20,000 miles. 
I'll check tomorrow as it's detailed in the Handbook.

EDIT:

I can't find service schedule but warranty on fuel filter is 2 years/100,000 miles.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

The 1.6 CRDi diesel filter (a standard spin-on cartridge) looks very awkward to change.  To me it looks like air intake ducting must be removed for access, filter sensor wires disconnected, fuel lines disconnected (how?) and then filter bracket complete with shroud and cartridge unbolted from bulkhead to allow cartridge to be spun off and new one spun on.   But maybe there is an easier way?   Any tips/observations would be much appreciated.   Certainly the oil filter element is easy to replace!

If you want "difficult to change" you should try looking at your windscreen wiper fluid bottle. Try getting that thing out in a hurry. I have to change the fluid because it leaves this ugly white residue all over my windscreen, looks like I'm finding a tube and doing a suck and siphon job.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you want "difficult to change" you should try looking at your windscreen wiper fluid bottle. Try getting that thing out in a hurry. I have to change the fluid because it leaves this ugly white residue all over my windscreen, looks like I'm finding a tube and doing a suck and siphon job.

In the 2002 Elantra hatch I had for an interim vehicle early last year I had to replace a damaged washer bottle and the easiest (pretty much only) way to get it out was to remove the wheel arch lining and get it out that way!

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
OK - have done it!

1.   Remove air duct between airbox (airfilter) and turbo (c/w hose from rocker cover) to make space.
2.   Disconnect both fuel lines to filter (pull out orange catch, push in blue tab, pull off line).
3.   Disconnect all three wiring connections to filter assembly.
4.   Remove the four nuts holding the whole shroud bracket and filter assembly to bulkhead (need a deepish 12mm socket).
5.   Lift out complete filter assembly, unbolt filter from shroud bracket, unscrew filter and replace with new one.
6.   Reverse above process to refit!

Long winded compared to most other diesel filters but not hard to do.

dham

Dont forget to bleed all the air out.  Easiest way would probably be to leave the outlet hose off and pump the hand primer until all the air is out of the new cartridge, being replaced by diesel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Found a reference to changing the PETROL fuel filter @ 36 months service.

Presume same for DIESEL.

Offline sopel

• 2nd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bytom, Poland
hi, i'm about to change my fuel filter , i have above 39000km on clock , in instruction it's written that fuel filter should be changed every 30000km.
about service stuff, you can read on http://service.hyundai-motor.com  , just register, login, and many information is in "shop manual" section.
thanks for additiona tips like "1.   Remove air duct between airbox (airfilter) and turbo (c/w hose from rocker cover) to make space." it'll be useful :)

cheers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal