i30 Owners Club

Just had to type this

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Yesterday, Easter Day, I had to pick up MIL (Mother In Law) from her home & bring her to our place for lunch.

I had to do the trip on my own, so I loaded some of my music in my own folder on the wife's USB and set off. The Avg fuel was showing 5.5 l/100k and the gauge was showing exactly 1/2 Full, or Empty :exclaim: To get her back to our house for lunch I did 100 kmh freeway and 60 kmh city. The trip is about 40 mins each way. On arriving home, the avg was 5.4 l/100k.

We had lunch and I then returned MIL back home. On the return from MIL's to my home it was such a pleasant day and the music was so enjoyable, traffic was light, I set the cc to 80km/h on the freeway and let the car do it's thing. It was a terrific ride, the car was so smooth & it climbed the hills @ 1700rpm, no turbo required and when I arrived home the AVG was showing 5.3l/100. Given that this is the average fuel consumption, with over 1/2 a tank of fuel used and the associated kms in the equation, I'm delighted that the instantaneous economy must have been significantly lower in order to vary the average.  :goodjob2: :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's brilliant.. was it the Red one or the white one?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It was Ruby (red)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That's brilliant.. was it the Red one or the white one?

He has different colour mother in laws?  :eek:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
the gauge was showing exactly 1/2 Full, or Empty :exclaim:

You could also say 1/4 more than 1/4 or 1/4 less than 3/4   :exclaim:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It was sticking straight up  :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
It was sticking straight up  :mrgreen:

:-[  I take it you mean the needle.  Nothing else   :-[
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :oops:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Nice to hear that the i30 can still suprice you, positively, of course.  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear
  • Perth, Western Australia

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Great news, 84! (except the bit about having a MIL)
  • 08 i30 CRDi SX Hatch in Mica Black

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Yesterday, Easter Day, I had to pick up MIL (Mother In Law) from her home & bring her to our place for lunch.

I had to do the trip on my own, so I loaded some of my music in my own folder on the wife's USB and set off. The Avg fuel was showing 5.5 l/100k and the gauge was showing exactly 1/2 Full, or Empty :exclaim: To get her back to our house for lunch I did 100 kmh freeway and 60 kmh city. The trip is about 40 mins each way. On arriving home, the avg was 5.4 l/100k.

We had lunch and I then returned MIL back home. On the return from MIL's to my home it was such a pleasant day and the music was so enjoyable, traffic was light, I set the cc to 80km/h on the freeway and let the car do it's thing. It was a terrific ride, the car was so smooth & it climbed the hills @ 1700rpm, no turbo required and when I arrived home the AVG was showing 5.3l/100. Given that this is the average fuel consumption, with over 1/2 a tank of fuel used and the associated kms in the equation, I'm delighted that the instantaneous economy must have been significantly lower in order to vary the average.  :goodjob2: :happydance:

thats good, but how many k's since you reset the L/100k average? i have not reset mine in 10,000k now i do mostly Sydney comuting to & from work now as enjoy riding my harley more on weekends. my L/100K average is 5.4l/100k & never seems to move as its an average of the fuel used over a 10,000k distance would take a bit of longer distance low traffic driving to get it to change unless i turned it off to re set.
but not worried thinking about buying a New Ducati quickest excellerating production bike, should be fun.

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
It'll be almost as fast as your i30! :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
thats good, but how many k's since you reset the L/100k average? i have not reset mine in 10,000k now i do mostly Sydney comuting to & from work now as enjoy riding my harley more on weekends. my L/100K average is 5.4l/100k & never seems to move as its an average of the fuel used over a 10,000k distance would take a bit of longer distance low traffic driving to get it to change unless i turned it off to re set.
but not worried thinking about buying a New Ducati quickest excellerating production bike, should be fun.

My trip comp is reset every fill and the tank is always brimmed. I've always been obsessive about fuel consumption. I record all fuel figures in a spreadsheet and if I wanted to, I could reproduce your 10k average by combining the figures together, so this way I can get 2 results instead of 1. I also like to be informed by the car if an unexpectedly high / low fuel consumption occurs and this is the best way to be informed each tankful.  :neutral:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
thinking about buying a New Ducati quickest excellerating production bike, should be fun.

A Ducati 1199 Panigale?  :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thinking about buying a New Ducati quickest excellerating production bike, should be fun.

A Ducati 1199 Panigale?  :goodjob2:
Love it Rusty, but just don't feel comfortable. still looking, but i love all bikes, still thinking.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

My trip comp is reset every fill and the tank is always brimmed. I've always been obsessive about fuel consumption. I record all fuel figures in a spreadsheet and if I wanted to, I could reproduce your 10k average by combining the figures together, so this way I can get 2 results instead of 1. I also like to be informed by the car if an unexpectedly high / low fuel consumption occurs and this is the best way to be informed each tankful.  :neutral:

I just did a long reply & got booted.
i used to do the same, fill to top then reset L/100K & trip distance.
but i was doing more k's now mostly just comuting  now, so i don't fill up my tank as i think it's not good to have diesel in the tank for a month between fill ups as could start Algea growth. i use Wynes Diesel treatment every 5,000k so hope that helps stop it but i don't have any proof it will.
one Guy i know who has been driving diesels a long time told me if he is not useing a diesel a lot he never fills the tank & if he does he puts 1 litre of petrol in to stop Algea growth, but i'm not trying that out.
cheers

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hi ho, lakes,

Have you checked out this product.

Fuelmaster.net.au

The product reads well but I have not purchased any yet. At the motoring stores near me there are diesel additives but none that target algae growth & water build up.

IMO, if all the diesel you put in your car is good, over the lifetime of the vehicle, you will still get water in your tank. Does the Wynns product you use target water at all  :question:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi ho, lakes,

Have you checked out this product.

Fuelmaster.net.au

The product reads well but I have not purchased any yet. At the motoring stores near me there are diesel additives but none that target algae growth & water build up.

IMO, if all the diesel you put in your car is good, over the lifetime of the vehicle, you will still get water in your tank. Does the Wynns product you use target water at all  :question:

I will check it out, but when i got my first i30 CRDi back in 08 a friend with an old Mitsubishi 4WD deisel was having problems with Algea growth in his tank, had to send tank away to have it cleaned as kept blocking his fuel filter.
so i was worried i got a product called ??? but made by ChemTech i think? it targeted alea growth but i could not notice any difference useing it, like no difference in economy or performance. with the Wynnes deisel aditive the motor seems to like it i can just feel the way it runs, feels more responcive but is it worth $29???
cheers

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sometimes when you know you've put an additive into your fuel your brain can trick you into thinking the engine is running better. I don't think anyone on this forum has ever had a problem with algae. There have been a few members who have had water in their diesel tanks.

Pip
Sometimes when you know you've put an additive into your fuel your brain can trick you into thinking the engine is running better.
I'm sure my car drives better after I've polished it. Really! :confused:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Sometimes when you know you've put an additive into your fuel your brain can trick you into thinking the engine is running better.

:whsaid:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
FatBoy will be able to tell you the benefits of a slippery, well polished body later today  :whistler:

Offline 1DRR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
 :whsaid: :whsaid:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal