FAO of members with Auto Transmission

eye30 · 74 · 26074

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I must say it was a dream driving home once again feeling like a new car lets hope it stays that way  :happydance:

Result   :goodjob2:

Now for many k's of carefree motoring
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :happydance: Thanks for the update Mel... You may not post often but always interesting and informative  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great feedback.
(And a member of the 100k club too I see).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline miker

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My early 2011 CW diesel has had the problem described above where there is a significant lag when selecting reverse. I have also have an issue where the transmission changes up to 4th too early at about 50km/hr (revs drop to 1500rpm) and the engine labours a bit. Changing down manually solves this problem. The car has done less than 25K.

I reported this to the service manager of the local Hyundai dealer who immediately said that it sounded like a valve cover defect. He said that this was a known issue which was rectified in mid 2011. The car was booked in last week for diagnosis and yes, the issue was found to be the valve cover. I am currently waiting for approval for the warranty repair to be approved by Hyundai  and for the part to come in. Could be a long wait from the sounds of it.
  • i30 cw deisel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Miker and thanks...That is interesting that they reckon they fixed it in mid 2011  :goodjob:

Seems to effect mostly 2010/11 cars (not 2008/9 as far as I'm aware) so maybe they changed part suppliers around that time... :confused:

Offline auke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I am having the problem with the slipping out of gear when accelerating above 70km/h. Even when re-engaging cruise control at 70km/h to get back to 100km/h will cause it to rev up and cruise control dis-engages. Just about to take it up with WESTPOINT Hyundai here in Brisbane. Will keep you updated on their response !

I30 Diesel 1.6 CRDI 2009 40.502KM
  • I30 CRDI SX

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Welcome to the forum auke.  :goodjob2:
Sorry to hear you're having problems but keep us informed as to what they say/do.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario
Haven't really had a problem with our 2012 with approx 22000 kms, but I have noticed some over reving while driving, and my foot has been at a steady position.
Almost like the clutch is slipping or something.
Not severe, but just making me wonder why the engine did that when it occurs.
Going to have to keep an eye/ear on this.
  • 2012 Touring

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome auke,

Sorry your 1st post is an unhappy event, but that's what this forum is for, we will appreciate your update and hope it is satisfactorily resolved.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Pip
While I'm not a proponent of autos I'm truly amazed at how hard it is to make one work.

Sure, it's impossible to predict the best gear in advance like a real driver can do but to make one work without all the mechanical failures should have been solved by now. Surely?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Ouch: :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline auke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just an update on the "Slipping out of Gear" problem that I was experiencing (as reported above).
Dealer ran it through some test and concluded that the valve body need to be replaced (under warranty).
It has been replaced and All is good now!!

New issue (after it came back from the Dealer) is that the "ESP OFF" light comes on and stays on regardless if you toggle the ESP OFF switch.
I'll keep you posted
  • I30 CRDI SX

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

New issue (after it came back from the Dealer) is that the "ESP OFF" light comes on and stays on regardless if you toggle the ESP OFF switch.
I'll keep you posted

Sorry to hear that :undecided: How long after you picked it up did that appear? Wondering if they forgot to reconnect something?? Otherwise could be related to incorrect tyre pressures or a brake light switch issue or???

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This seems to come up often enough for me to yearn for a decent schematic or logic diagram to sort out the I/O on the module that does all this.

I find it really frustrating being the consumer without the engineering specs. If by some odd fortune they exist in the wild, I'm more than happy to take a look.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi all,   Just had my auto serviced...and though it worthwhile to report the comments of my ( Non HY mechanic.)
  The book lists the service to take place at 90,000Km and to me that seemed a "long time between drinks"...
On Inspection at the 80,000 service, the Trans Fluid was seen to be a brownish colour, almost dirty looking. I added some auto trans additive to give it a good "flush" for 1000km then had the fluid changed today at 84,000Km. My mechanic also commented on the colour of the oil ( It didnt smell burnt) and said that in his opinion, 90,000 was to long a service interval and that he thought 60,000 was about right.

We used a very high quality, ( exceeding the Hy specs) Elf oil for todays service, plus I put in an additive, which I will be reporting on a little later, when I have some conclusive data.

The mechanic said we should do the change again in 40,000Km......reason being that all the oil does not drain from the auto trans, as the torque converter is full and this oil stays put, so in effect it contaminates the new oil.

So.. I just bring this point to everyones attention... if we want to look after our auto trans,  changing the oil early and accounting for the old oil that does remain in subsequent servicing would be a good thing IMO    :whistler:

Cheers   
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just got the Good Wife's 2012 (my11) FD CRDI (11,400k) back from my good friends at Southport Hyundai.

It had a minor shudder at take off, and an occasional kangaroo shudder when changing gears around 60k.

Of course when I got the car to drive down to the coast, it didn't show any of these symptoms so I was a bit worried of getting the 'no fault found'. I told them from my reading it would appear to be the valve body.

Upon picking the car up it appears they agree the valve body is playing up, and will be replaced on Monday. It is a bit of a shame they don't have the part available in stock given it is a bit of a problem child. Otherwise though I am happy with their service, they made room in their schedule (full of brake switch recall cars) to see the vehicle, and it is booked in at lunch time Monday to allow for my work schedule.

They also upgraded the ECU re the TSB to re learn injectors to remove some chattering in the engine, and it drives much better.

The were much friendlier and have much better facilities than Springwood. I would say it is worth the drive to see them.

The 2010 I30 (84000k) continues with only the Brake light recall (new compliant cruise switch) and a dash rattle to be checked. Nil Auto problems detected. I will have the auto serviced at 90,000k.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update hope they sort it on Monday :fingers:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
All sorted.

Drives like new now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2: :goodjob: :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
All sorted.

Drives like new now.

another satisfied owner
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
It's interesting that being an Elantra XD owner that also used the same auto transmission between 2000-2006 on its 1.8 and 2.0 Beta motor, it still has the same issues with it and possibly got a bit worse. I didn't buy an auto Elantra back in the day because of reading the same issues and was the main reason I ended up deciding against an auto on the i30 crdi as well.

Hopefully these problems have been eliminated with the new valve body that is supposed to be improved and its certainly not an issue on the new 6 speeders.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Welcome Miker and thanks...That is interesting that they reckon they fixed it in mid 2011  :goodjob:

Seems to effect mostly 2010/11 cars (not 2008/9 as far as I'm aware) so maybe they changed part suppliers around that time... :confused:

Just resurrecting this thread to report that this issue affected my July 2009 crdi wagon. Pretty much the same as described by Mel but not as bad:

- took car in early for 90k service with a month left on warranty and asked them to check for any warrantable work

- dropped my pants to the tune of $890  :Shocked: and was told that apart from some badly discoloured auto trans fluid, everything looked fine. No error codes

- straight away the trans started taking three seconds to engage reverse when cold

- took it back and got the valve body replaced in the dying light of my warranty. Dude said it's a known problem and the replacement valve body is an improved version.

- this miraculously alleviated most of my rectal pain from the $890 service bill
  • 1 x 2008 i30 CRDI hatch, 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Just resurrecting this thread to report that this issue affected my July 2009 crdi wagon. Pretty much the same as described by Mel but not as bad:

- took car in early for 90k service with a month left on warranty and asked them to check for any warrantable work

- dropped my pants to the tune of $890  :Shocked: and was told that apart from some badly discoloured auto trans fluid, everything looked fine. No error codes

- straight away the trans started taking three seconds to engage reverse when cold

- took it back and got the valve body replaced in the dying light of my warranty. Dude said it's a known problem and the replacement valve body is an improved version.

- this miraculously alleviated most of my rectal pain from the $890 service bill

Apparently butt plugs are good for this, so I've been told.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
You're slipping, Dave.  That butt plug didn't come out until post 53!!

Offline Greenroome

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA
Well, I gotta say, my ring gear is suddenly feeling shiny and new. Check this out:

:link: Hyundai I30 4 Speed Automatic Transmission Valvebody Assembly NEW | eBay

• 1 x 2008 i30 CRDI hatch, 1 x 2009 i30 CRDI wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Wow not cheap! Plus labour... Glad the wife's is a manual.. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's important to have shiny ring gear though.   ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
111,000 and counting....

The CW must have got a goodin......(best to tempt fate whilst I still have a year on the warranty....Though if it is a known fault, I suspect Hyundai may have to drop their pants even after the warranty period expires).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

111,000 and counting....

The CW must have got a goodin......(best to tempt fate whilst I still have a year on the warranty....Though if it is a known fault, I suspect Hyundai may have to drop their pants even after the warranty period expires).

I think they would if someone pushed the issue...  :goodjob: :fingers:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal