i30 Owners Club

Engine oil for 2.0 litre petrol in Australia

Guest · 6 · 10476

Pip
I'm opening a thread here for kabukiman who asked a question about what oil should be used in the petrol engine here: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=14965.msg164676#msg164676

So what oil are you using?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for doing this Pip  :goodjob:

We have been using Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 in Trish's 2.0 CW (I had a couple of 5 litre lots left from when we had the CRDi)

We will keep using this (or some other similar fully synthetic) once a year (Trish only does about 8000kms per annum)

Good oil is a great and relatively inexpensive investment  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks for doing this Pip  :goodjob:

We have been using Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 in Trish's 2.0 CW (I had a couple of 5 litre lots left from when we had the CRDi)

We will keep using this (or some other similar fully synthetic) once a year (Trish only does about 8000kms per annum)

Good oil is a great and relatively inexpensive investment  :winker:

I could not agree more. I have never scrimped on oil - it is cheap insurance that has paid off time after time.
As posted before, I use Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic but I haven't looked at suitable oils for a petrol i30.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the manual for the new generation i30 it says the following about engine oil for the petrol versions

If you use oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-20, replace the engine oil and filter after driving 15,000 km/12 months with MPI engine (10,000 km or 6 months with GDI engine) in normal conditions and replace engine oil and filter after driving 7,500 km (MPI engine) or 5000  km (GDI engine) in severe conditions.

(This instruction does not apply to 0W-40, 5W-30 and 5W-40 oils)

I understand that MPI means multi-point-injection and GDI means gasoline-direct-injection - but which engine is which I have no idea. In the UK the new i30 comes with a 1.4 manual petrol or a 1.6 auto petrol
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
thanks man.

I like to think I have a good understanding of engine oils.  It just struck me as something strange with this Hyundai when there was no strict specified viscosity rating in the manual, something I was used to with previous cars.  Not used to having any choice  :)

For example my Fiesta needed 5w30 in this country.

If I read the info on the hyundai website properly it should take 5 or 10w30.  I might keep using the Castrol Edge I have left over from my Ford, as someone else said it is good oil.

I usually do an oil change every 7000km or so so the hyundai interim services at 7500 are perfect for me, I will probably get them to do it.

I know some people like to go right to the 15,000km service, I just don't feel comfortable.  The oils are probably able to last much longer but better safe than sorry, the other bloke above was right, it's cheap insurance.

Pip
Yep, that all sounds good to me. :goodjob2:

The absolute needs for the petrol engine are less demanding than the diesel and if my book's information is still current an API SL or above all that is required. Just about anything you could buy today would meet that but I would personally use an SM (current/latest specification) oil and ONLY use something that purported to be synthetic. I won't open a discussion about what is or isn't synthetic but suffice to say any "synthetic" will do.

As for viscosity I would not go above a 30 weight and 5w30 would be my choice and suitable for anywhere in Australia. I use Castrol Edge 5w30 in our Getz and have had no reason to try any other. I get no valve gear ticking on cold starts, good economy, and it does not burn any between annual changes. This oil incidentally also meets ACEA B4 which is a robust diesel specification and should offer good wear protection.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal