i30 Owners Club

Acceleration from cold - flutter/stutter when easing off for speed limit

Offline RamblinR

• 2nd Gear
  • Sunshine Coast, Qld

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Have searched the forum but didn't find anything similar to what my problem is.

I have a 2011 CRDI i30 Auto which has only done just over 7,000k's.  When I first drive the car in the morning it gets a flutter/stutter when i get to 60ks and ease off (speed limit) also does the same at 80ks and 100kd (also for the speed limits).  It's sort of like a mild version of kangarooing with a manual.

Does anyone have any idea what would be causing this.  It continues to happen even when the motor temp has made it's way to its usual temp.  It stops after about 15ks.  Is there a choke that is not kicking in properly when cold and starving the motor?  Any ideas?

I didn't notice this problem when I first purchased so gather it is something that has happened in the last couple of months.  I have taken it to Sunco where I purchased it but as per usual the car didn't do it when the mechanic was on board with me as it had warmed up.  I have been asked to leave it with them overnight so that they can try it in the morning when cold but haven't had a chance to do this yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if so, what was the problem?

Thanks

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Diesels don't have chokes, the correct amount of fuel is determined by the ECU, injected into the engine by fuel injectors and ignited by compression of the fuel / air mixture. I have a vague recollection that this type of problem was rectified by a software update. :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Maybe an issue with dirty fuel/fuel filter but would not expect it to improve when warm  :confused:

As Phil says have heard on the problem maybe only once before  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RamblinR

• 2nd Gear
  • Sunshine Coast, Qld

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast
Don't think it's dirty fuel as it does clear after it has warmed up.  It only happens when you ease off the power and then go to go up a bit   e.g. you see you are just over 60ks so you slow down a bit and then add a little more to sit just under 60.  It's when you are adding that little bit that it happens.  Also at 80 and 100.

Hopefully they will get it sorted when I take it in but was hoping someone could pinpoint it here.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think Phil may be right (ECU issue) you could try disconnecting the battery for about half an hour to reset it..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline RamblinR

• 2nd Gear
  • Sunshine Coast, Qld

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal