i30 Owners Club

Premium Diesel?

Poll

Do you use regular diesel or premium (BP Ultimate, Caltex Vortex etc) diesel in your i30?

Regular
4 (57.1%)
Premium
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Offline cbowden9000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I've never had a diesel car before and just noticed a 'premium diesel' pump at the servo when I was filling up. Just wondering if any of you guys use it and if you've found it to be beneficial?
  • 2011 Black SLX CRDi 6sp Manual

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
I never use it to be honest, The price difference doesnt seem worth while.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
With my previous i30 I tried using premium diesel for 3 consecutive fills. I didn't detect any increase in performance, engine smoothness or economy - so I gave it up.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Ok, here's my take on it.
Throughout the life of my crdi i30 I have tended towards using premium fuels wherever possible.
However, having said that, the last few tank fulls have all been on "cheap" Peak diesel and for the last eight tanks I have got over 1,000 kms per tank easily.
I do feel that it doesn't run quite as smoothly and quietly and that there is more diesel clatter, but this is purely subjective and I don't have anything to back it up.
One thing I have noticed during my i30 ownership though, and maybe someone can explain this to me, is that once I have a tank of fuel that gives me "only" 850 kms, the following tanks also only give me that range.
But then if I go on a long highway drive and attain 1,000 + kms on a tank of fuel, all the tankfulls following give me in excess of 1,000 kms also.
Does this have something to do with the ECU resetting itself somehow?
I have kept records of every tank of fuel ever bought from day one with the type of fuel, kms travelled, etc and I can show this time and time again.
At the moment I am in a run of over 1,000 km tanks and as I said, on cheap fuel.  :confused:
A friend of mine about two and a half years ago, bought a new Kia Sorento Crdi and when it was delivered the dealer gave this piece of advice:
Only use quality diesel, eg BP, Caltex, Shell.
If you have any warranty claims regarding the fuel system, the first thing Kia will do is take a sample of fuel and analyse it and if it is cheap diesel they will not honour the claim.
I fail to see how they can do this when the cheap brand fuels are readily available and they are selling their cars in this market, but I'm just repeating what he said.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't say I would agree with the dealer regarding the warranty on cheap fuel. The handbook states clearly what is required. I doubt in Australia that there is any fuel manufactured or sold that is below the standards in the handbook. An exception to this would be fuel that has been doctored or contaminated with water etc.

I've never used premium fuel and always use reputable brands Shell, BP, Caltex & Mobil.

Regarding the 850 / 1000 km fuel, probably need to collect more information before any conclusions can be drawn eg dates, weather, fuel brand......  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cbowden9000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
That's really odd, db. I'm surprised things like the ECU reset and Premium Diesel in relation to fuel economy etc aren't better documented considering all the attention on fuel prices the past 5 or so years.
  • 2011 Black SLX CRDi 6sp Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal